FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone else got the double-edged sword?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else got the double-edged sword?
    Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:02am
By this I mean, got PND as well as some other issue that made it worse.

I got PND and hypothyroidism(under-active thyroid)

So, it definitely was PND I had, but then the thyroid problem kicked in. So now the PND is mostly gone and I still have the thyroid problem, it's really hard to know if certain feelings are PND back or my thyroid out of wack.

And that is SO frustrating!

The symptoms are so, so similar!

Also, what doesn't help with this double-edged sword, is the weight gain or lack of weight loss, due to thyroid issue. And my weight and my body and how I feel about it, affects my mood/depression/state of mind big time! So if I feel fat and dislike what I see, I get really angry, frustrated and depressed. Especially hard is, I strictly eat 20gms of carbs most days, some days a little more, but in theory the kgs should be falling off and are not, due to the under-active thyroid! Making me really frustrated!

So does anyone else have anything like this, maybe not the thyroid problem(though it'd be nice not to be the only one with both problems), but some other double-edged sword?

Edited by escadachic

Sponsored Links

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 2:00pm
yep.... all of what you said- couldve been me writing that! (except Im on a weight gain mission!)
I have hashimoto's hypothyroidism... diagnosed at the same time as PND. Chicken or egg which came first...??

1 thing- If you are taking meds for PND- check its not 'helping' with the weight gain. A friend of mine had massive weight gain with anti-depressants.

Edited by KitKat
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 2:03pm
Just saw your other post- perhaps consider changing meds??? (re weight gain, to help w your confidence etc???)

Nothing worse than an uphill battle through mud.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 3:52pm
Hey KitKat. No not on meds for depression. Only for thyroid issue.

Oh, so how does your thyroid issue work?

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 6:56pm
Hashimoto's hypothyroidism is where the immune system starts to actually shut it down. reject the thyroid... therefore slowing it down as the tissue is affected.
Antibodies are present in blood tests etc google it for details is best.

I take Thyroxin as my thyroid wasnt producing enough.

A lot of people do put on weight with an underactive thyroid due to the metabolism slowing down... I think I wasnt eating enough in the first place, with 2 ravenous males in the house I never got a look in!"!! Plus Im genetically small I think. once I started taking thyroxin i started losing more weight!
I was 54kg 2 days after lox was born. It definately didnt help. I am on a weight gain programme so I might carry another baby better, perhaps not be so sick during pregnancy, or at least have some backup stores, and have a better chance post natal, I just didnt have any energy, nothing to burn.. weight can be a good thing for some. Kindof ironic really.

I do suspect both the thyroid issue and the PND have been an undetected issue for a while. Perhaps since pregnancy?

I feel like Im posting a lot in this forum lately, I hope you all dont think im spamming. Just feeling the need to talk/reach out lately... sorry.

nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 11:02pm
Of course not Kit Kat - it's nice to see this thread used a lot more. Support is important and so is everything you have to say here!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 4:06pm
No way are you spamming KitKat.

Speaking of spamming, I try write a few posts in the forums in a short period of time and get that message saying posting that often in that period of time is spamming. I'm like, no, I'm just sharing.

Oh, so is what you have similar to an over-active thyroid? Where you can't gain weight or maintain weight?

And good on you for posting as much as you need to, that is what this forum is for.

If you ever want to share more directly, you can P.M me or add me on FB.

amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 9:53pm
Yep

I have panic disorder with moderate agoraphobic prior to getting pregnant.

So not sure if any PND I am having is related to it, or not? I dunno... I seem to be only as bad, or not too much worse than when my illness peaked and I was unable to function, go to work etc etc
I had severe baby blues, so am back on meds again, so horrible and hard. PND hasn't properly raised it's head yet - because I am managing well, but very vigilant that's for sure.

With the thyroid problems... does anyone know if taking Iodine helps? I find since I've been taking Iodine (during pregnancy and post pregnancy) I've been feeling a bit better?? Weird eh...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 9:57pm
Not sure about Iodine. How is that supposed to help?

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 1:54pm
Thanks guys...

I have underactive thyroid- thats why its ironic I need to put on weight! lol who knows whats going on ey.

Iodine doesnt help my situation as it is an autoimmune response. Iodine can assist in other thyroid issues though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 4:39pm
Ok. Didn't realize you could have trouble with weight on the other side of things with an under-active thyroid. Is it because it's an autoimmune thing?

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 6:25pm
I honestly dont know. I think its a mix of exhaustion, running around after a VERY physical 2 yr old, and him eating half of what I try to eat. I prob unconciously dont end up eating enough.... for the energy I seem to expend... who knows. its a theory.

Im prob genetically bias toward smaller anyways.

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 6:45pm
I'm on a low carb eating plan as well (as prescrbied by a nutrtionist/personal trainer) and I have to say that eating so few carbs will be playing HELL with your moods...I stick to around 100 - 150 grams and that is still VLC. If I eat too few I get very very feral and it is no good for my mind (I am depressive). REstricting liek that will lead to weight gain as well when you return to a more managed normal eating plan.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 7:39pm
Your thyroid needs iodine to function. If it's not getting enough, it has trouble making enough thyroid hormones. To de so deficient in iodine that it affects you thyroid is really rare in countries like New Zealand, though. Our thyroid problems all tend to stem from other reasons, like autoimmune stuff.

My strong advice to anyone with thyroid issues is to consult a good nutritionist with experience in the field. They do play havock on weight loss and gain, and your diet does need to change to reflect that. Expert advice is best, the do-it-yourself approach can be dangerous and unsuccessful.

I have the opposite problem, my thyroid feels the need to work overtime. Not coupled with depression, but that's why I was interested in this thread.

amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 12:17am
It's just the new thing for pregnancy is to prescribe Iodine for healthy thyroid development in babies - I see it's even in elevit now as well. Maybe it was the endorphins of pregnancy, perhaps just taking a multivitamin... I dunno something OTHER than my meds has been helping me.
I dunno, I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem but am heavy but love to eat... so probably explanation.

Really happy, went to the Doc today and scored 7 out of 30 on that score thingy for PND, previously it was 20.
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 2:27pm
I personally believe pregnancy set my thyroid off. Youre right, the hormones wreek (sp?) havok on thyroids....
It can be a bit of a pendulum effect to start with too- overactive, then under, untill it decides which way to go! lol
I like turning things into analogies... may not be scientific, but it helps me understand things better.

Def agree that proffessional help is advisable with any of this kinda thing....
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 9:06pm
I have an underlying anxiety disorder leading to depression.
 Post Reply Post Reply