FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecember 2012 Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
Author
Skrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:34am
I wouldn't worry about it BDTM14, some of the forbidden foods aren't so much about the food itself but more the dangers a bug like listeria could do if you eat 'off' food. (The danger with hummus is that it could contain listeria and I'm assuming you didn't get sick from the amount you ate the other day)

I think the not eating peanuts advice has been withdrawn now (at least in the UK) as there was no evidence that eating peanuts during pregnancy increased the chances of the baby developing a peanut allergy.

Your MW will be able to go over the risks associated with certain foods during pregnancy though I find the list changes every years or so and something on the list now may not have been when I was pregnant last time

Sponsored Links

BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:35am
Its funny..I look at my ticker at the bottom and see you are 5 weeks pregnant and Im like eeekk hehehe
and then I see after it you hve 245 days to go..Im like arrghhh hurry up already :)

Yeah I think I am getting to paranoid about the foods.
Im not 100% sure about that peanut thing either as I have read now also that nuts etc are a superfood for when you are pregnant...

So confusing
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Skrip Skrip wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it BDTM14, some of the forbidden foods aren't so much about the food itself but more the dangers a bug like listeria could do if you eat 'off' food. (The danger with hummus is that it could contain listeria and I'm assuming you didn't get sick from the amount you ate the other day)

I think the not eating peanuts advice has been withdrawn now (at least in the UK) as there was no evidence that eating peanuts during pregnancy increased the chances of the baby developing a peanut allergy.

Your MW will be able to go over the risks associated with certain foods during pregnancy though I find the list changes every years or so and something on the list now may not have been when I was pregnant last time

Thank You :)
anna1983 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:59am
Speaking of peanuts, and conflicting and confusing advice, check out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-482750/Pregnant-women-told-eat-peanuts-protect-babies-allergies.html

I'll continue to enjoy my peanut butter :-)

Speaking of hummus, in the bounty pack I was given by my midwife, the food safety booklet says no hummus, another book recommends hummus at least twice in a list of recommended snacks for vegetarians during pregnancy - not surprising there's a lot of worry and confusion out there!

I'm following the food safety list so no-one can blame me if anything happens, but I don't think one slip-up should be a cause of stress. It's all "just in case".

I'm trying not to be paranoid but I must admit hubby still thinks I'm paranoid and the recommendations are a wee bit over the top. I bet I'm way mroe relaxed next time!

Edited by anna1983
SethsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SethsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 12:09pm
Hey Guys..Just lurking a bit...as I do cos my baby will prob be in dec.

On the food...Most of what they say not to eat is because we are more susceptible to food poisoning etc when we are pregnant. Us being sick is NOT good for baby. I live in the 'a little bit of naughty food, so long as well prepared is not too bad' zone.
I think you have to look into WHY they think each food is not good and decide for yourself.
Just as an example..
I still eat poached mayo so long as it's made with pasteurised eggs.
I still eat sushi, but only chicken ones that are freshly made.
I still drink coffee, but at a quarter strength of usual.
And I still etc nuts because I love them but never more that a dozen or so at a time.

HTH!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
ChikkyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChikkyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 12:35pm
^^^^ Awesome advice right there sethsmama!

I think its easy to get too caught up in the "what can I, what can't I eat" as a first time mum. As long as your sensible you will be sweet not worth getting yourself stressed out over!

aydee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 12:46pm
The food thing can stress you out eh. It did a bit for me the first time round and this time I'm much more relaxed. So long as the food is fresh and healthy and like others have said, not old. The guidelines do seem to change each year, I've noticed. They eat a lot of sushi in Japan and have healthy babies, likewise the middle east wouldn't function without hummus, so I think take it all with a bit of common sense and just make wise choices
WWHT:) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWHT:) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:04pm
I totally agree SethsMama.

When I was pregnant with my son, I don't ever remember being told not to eat anything, and is just fine.
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:10pm
yeah I think I am getting a bit too paraniod...but cant help it as a first time mum...I just guess it comes natural to be like that. I dont know
I mean you can get all this advice but still you can be a little paranoid :) I know I am. And I doubt I will stop being paranoid
aydee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:14pm
I think it's pretty normal to be a bit paranoid especially the first time around as we all want to have the healthiest wee bubs
megstar007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megstar007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:19pm
Hi

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got my BFP this morning. Quite surreal. This will be my 2nd baby. Our first took two years to conceive... and this one was completely unplanned (but a very welcome) addition to our little family!

I am due on the 15th of December!
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:27pm
Congrats Megstar...welcome to our group :)
Tanithe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanithe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Anna_j Anna_j wrote:

Can anyone offer me any advice/recommendations on midwives on North Shore, Auckland. I had my first 2 kids in Chch and had a fantastic midwife there. Hoping to get one I'm as comfortable with here. I've booked in to see Delwyn Evans at Maternity Associates. Anyone had her? Or recommend anyone good?
Thanks

My friend is on the north shore and her midwife was fantastic. Best midwife I've heard of so far...I was even tempted to travel that far just to see her but I figured come labour time I will not be able to handle the 45 minute drive haha...nor would my friends and family be happy coming that far to visit. I will get her name and details and let you know.

Sparkl I'm a teacher too and I know what you mean about not wanting to name your kids the same as the naughty ones from school...you almost feel like you are tempting fate. My sister-in-law called her daughter Diva and she is definately living up to that name.

We called our last son Olympus because my partner is quite in to Greek Gods and all that sort of thing (mainly because of his PS and XBox games) but I didn't mind because I think that naming our children after Gods might make them stronger and more determined in life. Olympus was an unexpected birth so we didn't really have time to think of a name. We had his funeral the very next day so wanted to have him named before then. If he had of been a girl we were going to call him Athena so we have put that aside for this baby. Still no idea what to call him if he ends up being a boy too.

I think names are incredibly difficult things to come up with. Want to make sure they don't get teased.

Skrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 2:31pm
Tanithe! You're due on the same day as me and we live in Otahuhu....any idea where you plan to give birth yet? We could end up in the labour ward on the same day!
Anna_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Tanithe Hall Tanithe Hall wrote:

My friend is on the north shore and her midwife was fantastic. Best midwife I've heard of so far...I was even tempted to travel that far just to see her but I figured come labour time I will not be able to handle the 45 minute drive haha...nor would my friends and family be happy coming that far to visit. I will get her name and details and let you know.

Thanks Tanithe, that would be great
Anna
Sparkl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 3:02pm

ChikkyD #2 EDD 01/12/12
anna1983 #1 EDD 02/12/12
AmberNZ #2 EDD 03/12/12
Niquey #2 EDD 04/12/12
Lucky Star #3 EDD 05/12/12
Jess3 #2 EDD 05/12/12
Anna_j #3 EDD 05/12/12
WWHT #2 EDD 07/12/12
Skrip #4 EDD 08/12/12
Tanithe Hall #2 EDD 08/12/12
Sparkl #1 EDD 09/12/12
aydee #2 EDD 09/12/12
Hannahlou #1 EDD 12/12/12
BDTM14 #1 EDD 13/12/12
megstar007 #2 EDD 15/12/12
Reeree #1 EDD TBC
Luckymama23 #2 EDD TBC
Nightingale #2 EDD TBC

Welcome megstar007, i've added you to the list You sound just like Nightingale, a surprise BFP after #1 took a while

Tanithe Hall I imagine you would need to have a real personality to match the name Diva, cute!!!
Tanithe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanithe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Anna_j Anna_j wrote:

Can anyone offer me any advice/recommendations on midwives on North Shore, Auckland. I had my first 2 kids in Chch and had a fantastic midwife there. Hoping to get one I'm as comfortable with here. I've booked in to see Delwyn Evans at Maternity Associates. Anyone had her? Or recommend anyone good?
Thanks

Jackie who works at Kate Shepard Midwifery on Rosedale Road in Albany - she seems like the best midwife out there. She supported my friend through her first pregnancy really well and got her delivered easily and good follow up support

Tanithe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanithe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Skrip Skrip wrote:

Tanithe! You're due on the same day as me and we live in Otahuhu....any idea where you plan to give birth yet? We could end up in the labour ward on the same day!

I live in Papakura so will probably deliver at the Papakura Maternity Ward...even though things didn't go so well last time I'll proably still use the same midwife but will go to my doctor anytime I think something not quite right. She doesn't do maternity care but she is a trained obgyn. I am considering Middlemore though just in case there are complications.

Skrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 3:26pm
Have you considered Birthcare in Parnell? They seem well set up. It seems too early to be discussing these things but before we know it it'll be December!
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 4:40pm
Ive heard good things about birthcare..I too need to look at getting a midwife. Not getting to see my Doc until the 24th and ideally would like to get a midwife sorted by then. Not actually sure why Im going to see my GP but I have heard its a good idea to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>