FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoing back to work - good points!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going back to work - good points!
    Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:08am
I go back to work full time soon after a year off after having DD2. Have failed to find part time work that covers the cost of daycare for two (no nearby grandparents for me to help out).

So - I am not exactly dreading it. I have a new job to go to which sounds like it should be good. But please remind me of the good points of being back in work so I dont feel so rubbish about it! For example:

• the money (obviously)
  • being able to wear smart clothes again that are not covered in baby food / vomit / weetbix etc
  • sitting in a cafe on my break, ALONE, with a coffee and good book
  • the comute (20 mins myself each way to plug into music/read a book

tell me more!

Sponsored Links

NZ-rules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZ-rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:41am
I loved the social aspect, although it was an adjustment not starting every conversation with 'my baby...', and using my brain again. I'm good at my job and it was awesome to realise a year out of the workforce hadn't made me lose my skills.

Going for a lunch break and not having to rush my morning coffee were big positives!

Good luck with going back to work - it's a big change and it takes awhile to get used to.

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:42am
I don't know if these fit you but these are the things I like about going to work.
*Being able to walk somewhere without having to constantly check that you have 2 little shadows following.
*Being able to concentrate on something without having part of you mind constantly going "now where are those kids now, can I hear anything that makes me feel that they are doing something naughty" Then having to go check that they are in the right place.
*Not having to spend the whole day in the kitchen because you are constantly cleaning or getting food.
*Having your house stay tidy for a whole day.
*Talking to people about things that you are trained for rather than about children.
*Not stressing about the incredibly strict budget we are on when I don't work.
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:43am
* Oh yeah, having a lunch break, that's pretty sweet
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:13am
stimulation! adult company!! peace and quiet!!
http://lilypie.com]
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:31am
I shouldn't have come in here, all this talk of breaks, alone time, no interruptions, wearing nice clothes etc are making me want to find a job

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:54am
Yeah the coffee breaks and being able to eat peacefully is pretty nice. I enjoyed wearing some trendy clothes for about a month before getting knocked up haha.

Oct 11
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:30am
I find work positively relaxing compared to being at home some days.
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:25pm
A full-time job is SO much easier than looking after kids
After a full day at work I am dying to see my kids
A lunch break where you can eat with both hands and dont have to share your food
Adult conversation
Its much quieter at work
The money

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:42pm
I only work part time, but I like that it adds some routine into the day - for ME. I find I am much much more organised!

And also being away from your kids, really makes the time with them more special.

My kids really enjoy their daycare and spending time with other kids - they have also really enjoyed their day while I have been at work and it is nice to hear about their day when I pick them up.
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:43pm
Thats true, I find I so appreciate my kids more after being at work, and that first hug when you get home is so great.
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:10pm
Thanks everyone - feeling more positive now

Yes - those hugs when I pick them up from daycare are so special

Went to drop off paperwork to my new boss this morning, and when i got out realised i had come out in yesterday's jeans with a massive splodge of baby food down one leg

sbeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 3:00pm
This is great!! I love...

the money
being able to blast my music to and from work!
not having to share what ever I am eating
finishing a cup of coffee while it is still hot!
adult conversation

and I LOVE the reaction when I come home...

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by sbeach sbeach wrote:

THIS! I love it

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by AzzaNZ AzzaNZ wrote:

Originally posted by sbeach sbeach wrote:

THIS! I love it

Me too :-)

I also second what Alex said about adding some routine and structure to the days.

Also, being recognised for my skills and abilities at work - always nice to have some feedback, even if its just a well done. Better than I get from the 3 year old most days thats for sure!
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 8:17pm
I love that I can go to the loo when I want, and no one follows me, or bangs on the door screaming mum mum mum
kandk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kandk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:05pm
I envy you! After two weeks back at work, I have realised that I do all the normal things round home, But I still don't get a lunch break as I have to dash away and feed DD, which makes good clothes a no-no and a cafe a pipe dream, I don't get morning tea as I will often have playground duty, I can't have relaxing drive to work because I have the two of them with me until we reach their caregiver, and my conversations all day consist of telling rowdy 11 year olds to be quiet! But the money is good.

pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:36pm
The days that I work are by far the easiest of the week! Much easier than being home with a 2 year old, especially when I was heavily pregnant.

I can sit down whenever I want, for as long as I want.

I am completely autonomous - if I want to nip out to the shops, whether for chocolate or a hot chocolate or whatever, I can just go, without needing to worry about who will watch Toby while I'm gone.

I can meet other adults for lunch in nice cafes - doesn't matter if they don't have highchairs.

Toby absolutely LOVES daycare. He has loads of friends and gets to do things that I can't bear to do at home due to the mess, like painting.

I feel like I am contributing to the household financially rather than just relying on DH.
pencils View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pencils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:38am
Great thread

Where do I start?

- I don't have to clean mashed banana or smeared peanut butter off the carpet/sofa/myself or the child's clothing
- no one follows me to the toilet
- adult conversation
- using my 'work' brain
- I don't have to do lots of washing and dishes
- I get to wear 'work clothes' instead of my standard 'mum uniform' of shorts, t-shirt and hair tied back in a ponytail
- I get to make a financial contribution to the household
- Sitting at a desk is far more relaxing than entertaining an active 18 month old
- I get to eat my lunch in peace
- My little girl gets to do all those really cool crafty things at daycare.
- My little girl gets to interact with other little ones her own age.
- I love looking through my little girl's daycare book and seeing all the cool things she's been doing like playing in the sandpit etc

But having said all that...I love being a mum and I take my hat off to full-time mums everywhere as it's the hardest job in the world!!

Edited by mum1974
Tyrbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 9:03pm
Way easier than being at home full time, My sons happy little face when I get home, and being definite favourite as he sees DH all day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>