FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow did your child react?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did your child react?
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:55pm
Just struggling at the moment with the thought of leaving DS and the idea that our relationship will change. We are so close and I have been home with him since he was born. While I am happy to be going to work and making a better life for our little family, I am worried it is going to have a negative impact on him and I feel guilty because technically I don't have to, we could keep on muddling through financially for longer.

How did your child react? Did it change your relationship?
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:06pm
Weve had DD in daycare part-time since she was 5months old, to start with it was only 12hrs/week spread over 3 days, now she is 14months and she is going 30hrs/week - every morning from 7.30 - 1.30. I think maybe because she started so young its all shes known? Weve never had a problem with it, she is so super happy at daycare. I think we worry about it a lot more than they do!!

We didnt have to have me work financially to start with either (do now!! new house hehe) but I really liked the fact I could be mum and career lady as well, and you can do both trust me

I think I definitely appreciate the time we spend together now, you just have to substitute the quantity with quality
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:00pm
I wouldn't worry too much - can you remember who looked after you before the age of three?

As long as the time you do spend with your children is full of love, then i don't see how there will be any negative impact.

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:10am
You are still going to be the most important person in their life, and being a working Mum does not make you any less of a Mum.

My kids were both young when I went back to work as well, and I can't think of a single negative effect. It is actually really nice to see your child happy and bonding with other adults, and then the excitement on their face when they see you at the end of the day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:28am
I'm glad to hear that because at the moment we are so close and while he likes other people he always wants Mummy, I don't want that to change hehe :(
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:36pm
DS relationship with his dad improved markedly as Daddy picked him up from daycare. They developed a neat little routine together, and I came home to seeing them happy together, so for me I think it actually improved the family dynamic.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:29pm
Same here HuMum, a lot more quality daddy-son time.

Oct 11
Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:42pm
Same here, hubby spends about an hour with DD before I get home :) He loves it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:47pm
That's nice to hear, Daddy bonding is definitely a nice benefit.

Im just feeling bad because he's been really unsettled this week, I haven't officially started work yet but have been leaving him more to go into school to set things up, and he has been crying heaps, extremely clingy and grumpy, won't let me out of his sight, it's pulling on the heart strings. I guess it's just a period of adjustment for us all and he will come right :( Makes me not want to go through with it but I need to
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
GuestDavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 11:17am
My first child did the same things when we started daycare. There seemed to be quite a lot of anger so in the end I decided to give up work and stay home. It wasn't really practical though and we felt it financially. Its hard though when they don't seem happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply