FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDaycare Costs - Gah!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daycare Costs - Gah!!
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:48pm
Sorry ladies, having a whinge...

Im looking to go full-time at work and sorting out finances;

With the extra hours I go up a tax bracket = less take home pay per hour, the new student loan repayment changes = even less take home pay, more daycare (will be $300/week!!! thats $15600/year!!) costs as well.

Going from approx 30hrs/week to 42hrs/week im only looking at being "up" $50!!! Whats the point!?

I hate being just over the upper limit for childcare subsidy. Its just not fair. Being too "rich" for any form of subsidy/tax refund makes you end up being very poor indeed.

Rant over
Sponsored Links

Hadlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:15pm
Know the feeling! When I went back to work full time after my years maternity leave we were entitled to $77 a week for childcare subsidy. 2 weeks after I got back they did the tax cut so we got $28 more a week so we were no longer entitled to nought!!
Then I finally convinced my work to let me go part time and because we are now entitle we're only $40 less off a week!! Its crazy!

Not sure if that makes sense but I agree with your rant :D
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:55am
I think any tax/benefit system that makes you better off for not working or working part time, rather than working full time is just stoopid.

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:41pm
^ Yep, that's why we have a lot of problems around people having more babies to keep claiming money. The childcare subsidy is of no benefit to me at all. When I wasn't working we were going to get like $1 something an hour, now I will be working we lose all WFF entitlements. Luckily for me my Mum is going to look after DS and I might put him in daycare 2 days a week later on but yeah if I had to pay full time daycare costs I probably would have thought twice about going back to work full time, it's not worth it. Isabella do you have to go full time? If you're only going to be up $50 I'd stay as you are!
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:45pm
Part time work wasn't worth it to me at all once petrol and daycare was added in
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:00pm
what about the awesome $300 childcare tax rebate that you get...cracks me up that they even bother coz that is like 1 weeks worth of childcare for us. We don't get anything from the government...
I don't get why we don;t get better tax rebates for paying part of someone elses salary...doesn't make sense to me! Do you get a better deal if you pay someone direct?
I agree that there must be something wrong with a system that makes it 'better' for someone to stay home than work, clearly the minimum wage is rubbish.

What is the limit for childcare subsidy (I know we will be miles over).

Oct 11
Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:56pm
That childcare tax rebate is insulting - can only claim for up to $900something each year - haha, thats like 4 weeks worth...

We pay our carer directly (in-home) and nope not a better deal... Although... DD is about to go full-time and shes taken 50c an hour off her rate for the extra hours - its not much, but does make a difference over time.

I think the limit is $70K-ish for a family income with one child - whats that like 2 parents earning under $35k each?

Youd think that by paying a wage (childcare) you could act as a business and reap all the rewards that come with it.

The whole system is stupid - I know its old, and getting overused these days, but we truly are looking at our options in Australia - I know ill have to pay my student loan back at a greater cost because of the interest - but I honestly think the wages will compensate for this.

Im over being so "rich" I cant afford to buy clothes, get my hair done, etc etc etc...

Youre freaking welcome beneficiaries
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:41pm
Yeah, I have the same problem. I got a (very) small pay rise in April which was just enough to push me into the next WFF bracket. My pay rise of $30 in the hand per week became $4 after my WFF dropped by $26 per week! And on top of that next year the government are going to take more of my pay for student loan repayments... I did the numbers on going back to work full time (I work 30 - 33 hours per week now) and worked out I will be only $10 a week better off after paying for more daycare, losing my WFF and my childcare subsidy. What's the point? But at the same time, how will I ever get ahead if every time I earn a bit more money the government take my WFF and childcare subsidy by an equal amount! It's so frustrating.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 1:03pm
We went to aussie for three years purely to earn the big bucks and save the money for a house deposit haha! totally worth it, we lived in crap towns and for 18 months i didn't work coz a. there were no jobs and b. i didn't need to.
We came home with a new car and good house deposit and had paid for our wedding and had no debt at all (bar student loan but mine is so huge i am never gonna get that paid, thanks to being a student in the 90s when interest was charged from day 1).
It sucked sometimes being so far from home but we are such a better position than we were. The only thing is getting used to not being able to spend as much money when i go on maternity leave....well even now really...spend too much.

HOWEVER...we went over before we had DS and then he was a year when we came home and to be honest i would not have wanted to have lived where we did when he is the age he is now as he would have missed out on so much...even playing in the back yard was scary as there were brown snakes there. And to make the REALLy good money you have to go to the crap palces, going to the cities it is expensive and not as many jobs. We lived in Kalgoorlie for 18 months...6 hrs drive east of perth in the middle of the desert....then in North Queensland in a teeny town of population 2000. so yeah, the lifestyle can be crap and you have to be prepared for it ESPECIALLy if you have kids to consider.

Oct 11
ajs29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 2:02pm
we are also "too rich" to qualify for any subsidies.
Whatever! we are still poorer than most people we know.
It just doesn't seem fair.

I work part-time but it isn't actually worth it - only so I can keep my finger on it and a bit of adult time.

Being a working Mum is hard - what's the point of all that sacrifice if it's only an extra $50 per week.

I always say I'd rather be poor and happy lol

stick to your part time hours, go full time when your child is 3 and qualifies for the 20ECE hours
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 7:31pm
Yup thats why I only work two days and am so so thankful my dad will watch my daughter for half the day and she does daycare for three hr sessions on the days I work so he gets a break.

Seriously, its effing ridiculous... I need to be earning $20p/h for it to be even worthwhile me working! DP earns just under the weekly limit for child care subsidy on his own but with me working and earning a measly $13.50p/h and only doing 15hrs a week we get pushed over the limit! Ridiculous! We are lucky we don't pay much where we live as with our parents but we are now paying part of their mortgage as well!

mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:08pm
I agree and sympthise for all the opinions in here. I am a solo mum, work full time get no WFF, childcare subsidy etc and no child support from ex. My boy is in daycare 40+ hours a week...very expensive. We dont live flash, live on my own land, but in a converted garage as we cannot afford a house yet. To be honest I often wonder if I would be better working 20 hours a week so I could get some benefits plus spend some time with my boy, then I think I would rather not have to jump thru hoops to get money from the state. At least the way things are now I have the satisfaction of doing it all myself and my boy will grow up knowing that mum worked hard to get where we are. I just hope he doesnt resent me too much for not spending as much time with him during the day
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:03pm
what pisses me off is

people who are on a benefit yet send there kids to fulltime daycare ..... and get it for a couple of bucks!

I dont think they should be entitled to it if not working clearly we pay them the dpb to be at home, if they dont want to be home with there kids then get a job .. sorry i dont mean to sound harsh but i would rather the $$ spend towards those middle income earners to get a little relief!!!

We pay full price daycare for 3 days of $200per week and our mums have her a day each their choice but we will forever be thankful.

Its hard we are over the limits for everything yet we dont feel rich at all :( I have no idea how people cope on much lower incomes. It would be just as cost effctive for us for me to work partime but its 'easier' in sence to work fulltime then i know where i'm coming and going work m-f have s and s off!

I dont mind paying for daycare our girl gets alot out of it i just get pissed the people that get it for pretty much free yet dont even work!
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:56pm
So agree with that blossom baby. And in the same vein, I found it difficult to get a full time spot in my daycare as there are so many dpb ers getting their few free hours a week. Not much good to me to get my boy in before 10am or after 3 pm but no spots in between
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:45am
mizpix if you are a single mum you should get WFF, I guess unless you are on really good money like $50000 plus you dont?

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/c/3/c36ba4004a875383b2fbb7420a9d1401/ir271.pdf

I know for my friend who was on $33 an hour in the bank she worked out it was better to go to 25hr a week and then get all the subsidys / wff / accomodation supplement etc. but something for you to look into perhaps?

My sister when working 20hrs in a supermarket was getting about $800 a week in the hand between work/wff/subsidies/childsupport.

DPB'ers and SAHM dont get FREE hours at daycare, its 9 hours subsidised so depending on the price of your daycare and how much your DH works (if you are a SAHM) depends on the subsidy) for me it will cost $18 for 8hours when my youngest starts around 1 year old. Yes Im SAHM and its not essential for him to go to preschool but eventually I will go back to work when he is around 3 and other child at school. I rather start him at 1 yr for 8hours and then if I decide to go back earlier he is settled in and knows his teachers and environments.

I think with a toddler it gets to a point where its not about care its about them learning having fun and as a SAHM I need to do things like mow lawns and I cant do that when he is napping its too noisy and cant do it when he is awake, cant leave him unattended so I will use the time he is at daycare to do things like lawnes/wash windows, run errands without having to haul him in and out of the carseat bored to death. knowing he is instead having fun playing in the sandpit with caring teachers looking after him.
Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:10pm
OMG that really annoys me - I have 2 degrees, I work my a** off, I sacrificed a LOT to get this career and am now trying to claw my way up the ladder and no offense to those in that occupation, but someone working in a supermarket 20hrs/week is earning $200/week MORE than me after I work 30hrs/week as a vet. Thats blimmin ridiculous - and where it is so damn wrong. Where the hell is the incentive.

Means testing? Yes - means test away - do you work full-time? How much tax do you pay?

And I also agree with mizpix so much - leave the daycare spots for those off earning money (and paying tax), if you want your kid to have fun playing in a sandpit - take it to the park while youre not at work.

For 8 hours, it costs me $52, 30% of my weekly income is taken away from me for taxes and student loan payments. Now lets not get started on that - I have no problem with paying fees, but half my $100K loan is living costs, which would have been a hand-out had I been on my arse at home rather than studying... ANYWAY, so 30% of my income is already taken away from me to put in the govt books - THEN I have to pay full-priced daycare while others with no income get heavy a subsidy... Its bullsh*t.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Isabella my sister was a single parent so child support was part of that $800 a wk, around $130wk for 2 children her ex hubby earns around $60k
she gets $120wk accomdation allowance
and working for families, she ended up as checkout supervisor as that was the best hours around her children on $14.50/hr

ive worked plenty and paid plenty of taxes but now we've had 3 under5, this time im not going back going to have a crack at this sahm business (did work between all of them)

blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:03pm
I personally dont agree with people "working" out whats better for them in terms of hands outs .. thats imo.

I agree daycare should be offered to those people that need it. and i yes i know many people on the dpb who have their kids in fulltime care. and pay sweet bugger all.

The sub to be entitled to for havign 1 kids is cominded of $75k ... which isnt alot thats 2 working in near min jobs or one on middle income and one on low.

isabella least you ARE WORKING your way up the ladder :) and one day it will all be worth it. Someone working partime in low paid job with handouts or dpb is hardly going to be better off anytime soon.

Its hard work ... this week my girl has been sick = no daycare which we still have to pay full cost for :( and juggle days off between us!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:55pm
Id have to say i think how the childcare subsidy works is unfair and perhaps a better way would be to base it on the mothers earnings only rather on joint income.

and it certainly sucks when you still have to pay daycare when children are sick!! esp when your own sick pay has run out anbd you have to take unpaid leave!

in my sisters case with 2 preschoolers and a broken marriage she was happy to receive wff / cc & accom subsidys as it ment she could afford to pay the bills and still have time with children.

mums careers can certainly take a hammering once children come on the scene hers did and so did mine, but im accepting of that and happy too be sahm for a while
Isabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:48pm
Haha - so now the ONLY tax rebate we qualify for (childcare tax rebate) of a whopping $300/year is being scrapped... Laugh to keep from crying...

so over it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>