FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked7 seater vehicle recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 seater vehicle recommendations
    Posted: 27 September 2012 at 1:48pm
Hi, I know there have been similar topics before but I cant seem to find them.

We are looking for a 7 seater that is automatic, economical around town, and probably in the $11-14 000 price range.

Ideally we want to fit all 3 kids in the middle seats , so that when we do travel we can fold the back seats down for more storage space, and keep the back seats for when we take extra people in the car.

How do you attach anchor bolts for the middle row of seats? To the roof?

Would love any tips on things to consider when getting a 7 seater to fit 3 kids (all in carseats) and 2 adults.

TIA
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 5:22pm
I could have written this post in FULL.............

We're looking at a Honda Odyssey, the two outside seats have anchors and 3 point seatbelts, middle has 2 point or lapbelt & no anchor that I can see just yet.

The other one is an Ipsum, which is the same as what you are looking for. The Mazda MPV is not, that 8th seat is really just half a seat.

So I think we have to get an anchor put in cause the booster seat can only be used with the 3 point seat belt. I'm going in on saturday to trial the car seats in both vehicles to see if we can still move the sliding seat forward to let others in the back seat. SO will let you know how it goes.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 8:30pm
Cool yeah my dad suggested looking at an Ipsum cos hes heard of Odyssesys having engine problems, but weve not looked at any yet.

We had thought of getting Isla a half booster and having her in the middle seat with the lab belt and an anchor bolted safety harness - which is what is suggested on the childsafety nz website- it was the only way we can possibly fit 3 in a row- mega tight squeeze tho, especially since the capsule we have needs to be clipped in with the belt each time.
Once out of capsule we would get abby a radian ( cos they are narrow) and Aiden would be in Isla's current full booster with a safety harness too.
If we can get a 7 seater where they all fit in a row, will keep Isla in a full booster for longer- shes almost 6 but short.

Be keen to hear how u get on, thanks
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 9:12pm
Problem with middle is no head rest, which I don't like so rules out that one out for me.

Interesting that your Dad has heard that, I've not heard anyone say anything re engine problems. I was told to get something fluid changed when you get it cause people tend not to change it.

It won't be a squeeze, I can get 3 car seats across my XR6 & they are the same width as the odyssey.
Kel

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 6:31am
Yeah ideally I was her still in a full booster too, but not possible if we keep this current car. Hopefully we will be able to get a new one,..and it will *hopefully* mean a shopping trip to Auck to get it, as the ones in car yards are at least $3000 more than we can get up there!
MumtoMany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumtoMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 8:31pm
We have had a honda odyssey for 4 year's and have had no problems at all with it. Apart from doing services etc the only money it has cost us was 1 set of tires. We are upgradeing to a Nissan Presage hopfully before this baby arrive's :)
DD 12 DS 9.5 DD 6 DS 4 DD 23 months and here comes number 6

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 8:59pm
Oh cool, thanks, thats good to know.

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 7:53am
Anyone have or know anything about the Mazda Premacy? We were doing a tradme search last night and liked the look of these.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 1:01pm
From what we've seen a smaller version of the MPV
Kel

Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 3:13pm
We've got an Odyssey as well and it's great... The anchor bolts need to go into the chassis so best to go to a mechanic for it , otherwise you risk hitting the fuel tank!
Only problem I have with it is when all 7 seats are up, there's not enough boot room for a pram.   

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 6:32pm
i had an Odyssey and have an Ipsum and i much rather prefer the Odyssey. I got anchor bolts put in it years ago and they put them on the floor behind the seat. I used to have the boys in the back and fold one of the seats in the middle row back up and Eden would be in the middle. The middle seats in the Ipsum dont split at all and is a pain in the backside! It takes a lot more than you would expect and was really good gas wise. It didnt feel like a van or people mover, just like a big car. I miss my Odyssey! *sigh*

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 6:33pm
Oh and our pram fit it in it well, but it would depend on the size of it i imagine.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 9:28pm
Rexy, which odyssey did you have? I've only looked in the 2007 one (found a cheap one with higher kms) and it looks like it will fit my MB, so crossing fingers it will. Forgot to go into day and try the car seats.
Kel

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 2:20pm
AandCsmum- how did u go trying the Odyssey?

I testdrove a 7 seater MPV yesterday and loved it. Picking it up soon to have for the weekend so we can try all the careseats etc.
Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 3:53pm
AandC's Mum, we have the 2000 Model, bit older than what you've been looking at, so it doesn't look quite as flashy, but specs are the same. Looks like a bit more boot room in the newer ones, though come to think of it, my pram doesn't fold down very much!

I agree with Bizzy, its great to drive, not like a van at all.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 8:33pm
A stupid lady pranged into my car so I haven't been in! I've only just had it back from the panel beater around 10 days at the time from a previous big smash up! was so so pissed off at her stupidity. 2 accidents neither my fault!

Kel

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:01am
Oh dumb, that sucks.

Liking the car we are testdriving, so far, although with the carseats in, it seems a lot less spacious! Going to Cheeycherubs soon to try the radian in it- which is what we wanna get for baby. The seat belts are not long enough to fit around our capsule so we will have to get a seatbelt extension. Still happy with the car tho- short of getting a big proper van, we are never gonna have tonnes of space.
Weird getting used to it being quite high off the ground when Im driving tho!

Edited by Kellz - 06 October 2012 at 9:15am
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:05pm
Hey Kellz and AandC's, I have a Toyota Regius 7 seater (for sale for the bargain price of  $7,950 ono down from $9,000  as I really need the money lol), it's in mint condition but probably got higher kms than you want as it's at 191,500 (it's a 2000 model), but I saw one on Trademe today that had done over 400,000km (!!), so I guess mine could be good for years and years!! Anyway, what I mean to say is that I can go have a look at it tomorrow and suss out if that kind of vehicle could be suitable for you ladies in terms of the kind of seatbelts etc. Looking at the pictures I've put on trademe it has a lap belt in the middle seat and no head rest, so sounds similar to the other one you were mentioning. I have no idea about looking for anchor points though...?

Oct 11 & Mar 12
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:07pm
Oh just looked at the Odyssey - they are so nice :-) Looks like a big sporty station wagon rather than a people-mover!

Oct 11 & Mar 12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 11:25pm
While I'd love to go for something like that Pepi...DH not so much

This is the one we're looking at. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/honda/auction-496182944.htm
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>