FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDiscrimination??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CupcakeQueenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeQueenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discrimination??
    Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:37pm
I'm not sure if I should be furious or just disappointed...

I went for an interview at a local kennel a few weeks ago which went really well. I had a mini trial last week for an hour running over what they expected me to do. Easy.
I got an email from the boss lady "If you are still interested, we would love to have you as our "on call"
person". Yay! Exciting!

But then.. I felt I couldn't accept the job without mentioning I was preg. (12 weeks). So I politely explained I hadn't mentioned it as I was waiting for my scan (which I had the day after my trial) and that I thought I'd be more than capable of doing the work load required.

I got this in response... "I am disappointed you did not disclose this when we had our meeting, and I also asked you to fill in a pre-employment health check, that also provided an opportunity for you to do so, and yes, it would not have made you eligible. At this stage, there is nothing available for you"

So. Is it my fault, because I didn't fill out the form completely? Or am I being discriminated against?

:(

Sponsored Links

sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:46pm
I *think* there may be an issue with working with animals in early pregnancy? I am not 100% certain but thought I may have heard or read this somewhere.

Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
LateStarterLorna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateStarterLorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:58pm
I think that only relates to cat faeces as you advised not to clean litter trays etc but its ok when you wear gloves etc Same as with gardening.

It does sound like discrimination but not sure legally, I guess she might think it wouldnt be suitable for you when you are heavily pregnant? I worked for animal control and as soon as your announced you were pregnant, you were taken off the road and put in the office as there might be issues with jumping dogs, strong dogs pulling you over etc

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 5:58pm
Not discrimination IMO. You should have disclosed the information.

emerson99724 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emerson99724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 9:39pm
You should have informed them before. It is your mistake.
epictraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:56am
Nope I disagree - its clearly discrimination under the ERA, check out s105 which lists family status as a prohibited ground of discrimination and s104 which talks about not being given the same opportunities. As the pregnancy is the only thing which made you ineligible, it sure looks like it unless there is a medical reason for why you can't do the role when pregnant.

Angel babies April 2013, Nov 2013

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
 Post Reply Post Reply