FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAngelcare Monitor "Dependancy"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EmmaRowell105237 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaRowell105237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angelcare Monitor "Dependancy"
    Posted: 07 February 2013 at 10:25am
Hi all - I am brand spanking new here so be kind :-p

I am being treated for depression and severe anxiety and have a nearly 3 year old and a one year old - the only way I could get a good nights sleep due to my anxiety telling me my baby would die every night was to get an Angel Care Monitor but she is nearly 14 months old and I am still using it!!!

I feel like I have piled all my insecurities into the monitor and I am terrified that if I stop using it she might stop breathing. Those without anxiety might think I sound ridiculous but those who suffer will no doubt understand.

Has anyone had a similar problem? How did you ditch the monitor?

Thanks in advance beautiful ladies

Edited by EmmaRowell105237 - 07 February 2013 at 10:26am
Sponsored Links

squeak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 11:16am
Hey there,

I still use mine and my son is two in April and I will keep using it until he moves out of his cot and into a bed. I don't think you should feel that you are overly anxious by using it- and if it gives you piece of mind why not, that's why I keep using it. Being anxious and worrying can be detrimental to us sometimes but it can also make you a good mum.

Hope that helps some.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 12:23pm
i have never used a monitor but i agree with squeak. If it gives you peace of mind keep using it! Pretty sure i have had friends use theirs for as long or longer than that too.

shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 2:44pm
We used the angelcare with my big boy until he was 19 months old and his baby brother arrived.  Couldn't justify buying a second movement monitor otherwise we probably would have! so we just got a sound one for DS1 and the angelcare went to the baby's bed.  Those first few nights without the monitor on his bed were really hard!!   The baby will probably have it until he moves out of the cot.  So I agree that there is no rush to stop moving it (unless of course you think that it might be making your anxiety worse??)

CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 6:13pm
I used my angelcare monitor until DS was about 2 years old so I'd say just keep using it as long as you want to! If it makes you feel better and get a better nights sleep then go for it! All the best with your treatment and moving forward.

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 9:25pm
I'd say it's a fairly harmless way to ease anxiety really. I do understand it's a hard thing to struggle with, and that relying on the monitor might be masking the underlying problem, so it could pay to try and get some help so that you don't *need* to rely on it so much? But for now, I'd keep using it - it's not doing any harm, and I doubt its unusual to use it for a child that age if you don't need it for a younger sibling.

Post Reply Post Reply