FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExpressing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expressing
    Posted: 02 April 2013 at 8:58am
How often, and what times are ladies expressing?

Also, do you do both sides per session or split this depending on babes feed pre-express?
Sponsored Links

waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 5:06pm
I generally express after my morning feed so works out to be about 9.30 / 10.00 ish and I do both sides generally to ensure I get the hind milk of both breasts which is obviously the good quality stuff that bub needs.

I admit I don't do this everyday and only have a couple freezed but will always do a fresh batch if I know I am going to be out that day and / or if I am fully loaded and bub can't get it all off.

Don't know if that helps
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 5:59pm
Peppermint, I don't express half as much as I used to (mainly because I only have a manual pump now) but when I do, I always pump first from the side Isaac fed from and keep it separate as it is hind milk and just what he needs to gain weight, then I express from the other, usually just enough for a full bottle feed. I don't do it every feed though, just when I feel I have time or when he really hasn't taken enough to empty me enough not to feel engorged by the next feed.

Ideally I was told to express after every feed to stimulate the breasts to increase the milk production. I had SO much milk before I was drowning the poor boy each feed so I have reduced the expressing and therefore milk quantity on purpose but feel confident I can increase it again as Isaac grows and requires larger amounts.

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Melissa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 7:05am
Good morning ladies,
So happy, after never being able to express more than like 15mls at a time and fighting to do so this morning I managed to express 160mls in 5mins after feeding dd YAY. Yesterday i ate 4 of the cookies that i made and within about 3hours of eating one I could feel more milk coming through. I also started trying to drink alot more water. Am so happy as now i can start freezing the milk to make sure i have a big supply for when i have to go back to work in 2 months time, makes me not feel so guilty about going back now as fingers crossed i can continue to make enough milk to express and freeze for her to continue being 'breast fed'.

For those of you who already freeze your milk what do you freeze it in? I saw at babycity you can buy bags to freeze it in but they are sooooo expensive, and not reusable it was like $40 for 30 little bags?
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 7:38am
Hi Melissa.

I am still waiting for my new pump (2nd hand of trademe) to arrive, so not expressing at the mo. little concerned my supply is dropping, so can't wait to get back in to it. Good on you for your increase! I would love the cookie recipe if you are able to share?

I have expressed in to those bags as I was given some. I then bought some off trademe. They are great, but you are right, they are pricey. Sorry, not sure of an alternative but someone might.
Melissa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 1:31pm
Peppermint, haven't looked on trademe, will check there!

Here is the cookie recipe link, they taste pretty good.
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/breastmilk-supply-increase-breastmilk-lactation-cookie-recipe#.UV9skJMa6f4
eskimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eskimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 5:10pm
I use these ones http://www.breastmates.co.nz:80/shop-management/products/b/breast-milk-storage-bags.aspx?cat=8932

best price i had found, but I didn't look at trade me.
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 5:27pm
I've got 3 unopened packs of the Swisspers breastmilk storage bags + an opened pack that I'm selling cheap if anyone wants them. PM me if interested    
Melissa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 8:12pm
Thanks Eskimon will have a look :-)
Hopefully Soon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopefully Soon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2013 at 12:02pm
Made those cookies yesterday.. not only are they super yummy, but I have so much more milk today. Thanks for sharing the recipe Melissa. :)

The hard part is stopping myself eating to many cause they are so good.. but I dont want to explode with milk.

Edited by Hopefully Soon - 12 April 2013 at 12:03pm
[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lmtf.lilypie.com/dpHZp12.png][/URL]
Melissa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2013 at 6:54am
Lol hopefully soon i ate alot one day and exploded Haha. Made some the other day they didn't seem the same don't know what i mucked up so will have to remake as need more milk
 Post Reply Post Reply