FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreastfeeding my baby that I won't birth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breastfeeding my baby that I won't birth
    Posted: 31 July 2013 at 8:40pm
My wife is 20 weeks pregnant and I am very interested in breast feeding too, talked to gp and got advice from endocrinologist and all think it is possible.
Any one heard of this or breastfed an adopted or fostered baby? Know I will need medication and to pump lots and might not produce much milk but just want the experience. I may not be able to carry a baby myself aft infertility and a miscarriage and just want part of the experience my wife is having.
Our midwife is supportive and is talking to a local lactation consultant, but any ideas or suggestions would be apprciated
IVF 1- No embryos to transfer
IVF 2- BFN
IVF 3- BFP, miscarriage at 7 weeks
IVF 4- BFP, Joshua born 15/12/2013 and one frozen embryo
FET- CP
IVF 5- Baby number 2 due 21/2/2017 and 1 frozen embryo ❤
Sponsored Links

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2013 at 9:34pm
Bfeeding is an awesome experience and I know my partner often wished he had some capacity for feeding out little one. In saying that, once we started on the bottle too he got a massive kick out of that.

No advice, ideas, or suggestions I am sorry, but just wanted to say all the best.
Vanessa104980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanessa104980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 7:25pm
Hi,

I had trouble b/feeding my first baby, tried anything and everything that anyone would suggest to increase my milk supply as I had next to nothing (literally). I went on domperidone medication from my gp. My MW had said she knew of someone or had a client who adopted a baby from day dot and wanted to bfeed the baby and did so successfully with this medication. I also used naturopham medication from the chemist and that was the only thing that really made me leak.

http://www.naturopharm.co.nz/products/maternity_products/MilkFlow.asp

Hope this helps. I would suggest you both express (hand or pump) if you can also successfully bfeed to keep up your supply as well. I'm 32 weeks preg with my second baby and have already been to two bfeeding classes so I would suggest these too.

amk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 7:40pm
Thanks Vanessa,both at is really helpful. I am thinking about domperidone, pumping and that naturopath medication soun good. I will look into it. W are looking at hiring or buying a breast pump so w can both use it as my wife will need to express for when she goes back to work. Baby wil come to my early childhood centre where I teach.classes also synd good and we could go together.

Amy
IVF 2- BFN
FET- CP
Vanessa104980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanessa104980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 9:43pm
Sounds like you have a great plan once baby is born. :)

trade me sells breastpumps much cheaper than new ones and I guess you'll get double the use out of it :D I've found that electric pumps a waaaaay better than manual pumps but would pay to do your own research.

The first bfeeding class I went to I went alone (and so did the other preg mothers expect one who had her partner and mother there) and the second one I went a good friend (and everyone had a female friend or mother there expect one who went alone and another had her partner there). It's good going with someone and its a great chance to meet other mums due around the same time (and they're free).

Hope all is going well in the pregnancy. :)
amk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 10:20pm
Just read my post again, terrible spelling for a teacher. I will have aloof on trademe for breast pumps, that is a very good idea.
So far my wife is well and baby is growing perfectly. Keeping an eye on her blood pressure but we have a very good midwife. Some chance of pre eclampsia, just want to make it to 25 weeks!
IVF 2- BFN
FET- CP
 Post Reply Post Reply