FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhich breast pump - breast and bottle feeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lauraangharad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lauraangharad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which breast pump - breast and bottle feeding
    Posted: 02 September 2013 at 2:02pm
Hi,

I'm due with my first in November so trying to get myself organised.
My plan is to breastfeed, but to also pump milk so my husband can do some of the feeding via a bottle too.

So, I want to get a breast pump/ bottles that make it as easy as possible to switch between the two. I saw that Tommy Tippee do closer to nature bottles - are they good? would I be able to use them with any breast pump or one specific one? Are there other bottles that are good for switching between breast and bottle - I assume teets that are most like nipples are best?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Laura
Sponsored Links

nani123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nani123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 5:08pm
I struggled with breastfeeding and hired a medela hospital grade pump to get my supply up (pump both sides at once). I also had an avent electric pump which was good but it took a long time as you can only pump one side at a time and it wasn't really strong enough for the amount of time I hsd to pump. I ended up exclusively pumping after a few weeks so bought an unimom hospital grade pump - worked just as good as the medela one and so much cheaper.
My advice would be to put money aside for a breast pump but don't buy one beforehand, you don't know how breastfeeding is going to go and you might need a hospital grade pump or you might decide that breastfeeding is not for you. Or you might like to hand express the odd bottle- they will show you in the hospital how to do it. If breastfeeding goes great you will probably get away with buying the cheapest manual pump. I bought the avent pump first and it is hardly used.
Some pumps only fit some bottles but you do get adaptors but easiest is to buy the pump you like and pump into the bottles/containers that come with the pump and then just pour the milk into the bottles you prefer.
I used medela calma bottles at first which are made to be able to switch easily between breast and bottle but it was really hard to get him to drink from them and they are really expensive. He also didn't really like them so I started using avent bottles when I started pumping full time. My midwife said that it doesn't really matter which bottles you use as long as it is very slow flow and try to keep them to a minimum the first 6 weeks until your supply is established and baby knows how to breastfeed.
Hope this helps.
Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 9:35pm
I also hoped DH would bottle feed bubs, but my babies stubbornly refused!!

I think nani123's advice to put the money aside and see how it goes is very good. I spent $300 on a breast pump and two babies later I can count how many times it has been used on my fingers and toes. :-)

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 7:45pm
I went a bit OTT last time and bought 2 pumps . a NUK e-motion electric pump and a tommee tippie closer to nature manual one

I found the manual one to be the best loved it, the electric one was SOOOOOOOO noisy and really awkward and annoying

also spent a small fortune on NUK bottles which my baby wouldn't take but he took the closer to nature ones no problem LOL

most pumps fit the particular brand of bottle but you can always pump into the bottle the pump came with then pour into another steralized one, which is what we have done many times :)

sorry I probably have not been much help lol

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
Mrs Moth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs Moth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 8:26pm
Some great advice here. I too would wait until baby arrives and see how you go. I bought a medela mini electric and can count on one had the number of times I actually used it. Had grand plans of DH doing a feed each night but in the end I could never find the time to express off a feed and it all just seemed like too much hassle so it was easier just to feed him myself.
DS - March 2011

Post Reply Post Reply