FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedback at work...breastmilk and formula??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back at work...breastmilk and formula??
    Posted: 17 September 2013 at 8:50pm
Hi I returned to work part time 3 weeks ago. I have been breast feeding my daughter at her daycare during my lunch time break that they have also been giving her my expressed breast milk when she seems hungry.

My goal was for her to eventually have the bottle for the 3 days she is at daycare. She is only there for 6 hours so it would only really be one proper feed.

The only issue im having is it is now the beginning of week 4 back at work, she is starting to drink more from the bottle (60ml from 10ml her first week) but I am all of a sudden having trouble expressing.

She is 5 and a half months and not on solids yet. Im considering just giving her formula for the 3 days she is there....but its making me feel a little guilty.

Im just not sure I can keep up expressing and having extra milk supply while working, looking after Mr4 and also trying to keep us eating well and go to the gym.

I didnt return to work with my first until he was 18mo and id stopped bff by then so i havent had this issue before.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

nani123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nani123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 9:24am
Don't beat yourself up about it, there is nothing wrong with giving her formula. Especially if it helps you take care of all of you. Formula is a perfectly good alternative to breastmilk and much much better than giving her anything else such as water/juice to fill her tummy or starving her (I had breastfeeding advocates suggesting I should add water to my son's bottles of breastmilk to extend them as I just couldn't pump enough for him, horrible advice! ). She will still get all the advantages of breastmilk from you, those few bottles of formula won't make a difference. It is just food after all and in a few weeks she will start solids anyway, and might start needing less milk.

If you really want to give only breastmilk you can try power pumping- where you pump every hour for 10 min for a day or two- but she is old enough for food other than breastmilk and this is so much work and dont always work.
Good luck with what you decide to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply