FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMontessori pre school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montessori pre school
    Posted: 24 March 2007 at 5:52pm
hi girls.
I have been looking into sending my DD to Montessori instead of Kindy but am wondering if it is really is that much better than kindy, i.e. worth the cost of it compaired to free at kindy.
is there anyone on here that has a child at a Montessori school or looked into it? Would love to hear what your thoughts are
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 7:39pm
have you looked atthe cost of motessori recently? it's just I know that ours in Gisborne is free in July due to the new government initiatve and Kidicorp bought Montessori and it's no longer private - or something like that - read in the dominion today.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 9:41pm
I think there are some threads in the Toddler Times about Montessori. I know Emma sends Maya to a Montessori and she loves it.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:00am
thanks Mummy-becks, I will have a look over there.
Lizzle, sadly the NP still is expensive, I called them on Friday and they didn't mention anything about it becoming free here, wouldn't that be great if it was though!!!!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:25pm
My Granddaughter who I look after just goes to a normal public kindergarten and absolutely loves it.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:30pm
Maya goes to Montessori and IMHO (for Maya at least) it is definitely worth the cost. For us the cost wasn't much more than having her in daycare (up until she was 3 she was in daycare 3 days a week) and she is absolutely thriving there.

I guess there are good Montessoris, and not-so-good ones just like any type of kindy/school/daycare etc. but we chose the one Maya goes to coz it has such a great reputation, even tho it is slightly further away than a couple of others.

Maya's been there just over a year and now, having just turned four, is able to recognise and write all of her numbers and letters, read simple, repetitive books, add single digits, can tell you which colors mix to make which colors etc.

What I like most about her particular preschool is that they have a monthly focus and really go the distance to extend the kids. I nearly fell over backwards when Maya came home and told me about Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus Rex and Pteranadons and could tell me which ones flew/ate meat/had horns etc. after they'd been studying dinosaurs. They did a topic on planets, now she can name them all. And at the moment they are creating a garden and have planted seeds and small shrubs, are learning about how to care for their gardens and even built a scarecrow.

They have six-monthly parent-teacher sessions where you meet with one of the teachers and review their portfolios (the last one Maya had I was very pregnant with the gremlins and a little embarrassed that I had no idea how well she could read and write until I saw her portfolio as I'd been too tired to work on it with her).

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
emeldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emeldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 9:43pm
My eldest went to Montessori preschool and was fine while he was there, enjoyed it but had HUGE issues when he went to primary school. He was able to self manage his learning at Montessori and select what he was interested in and develop and extend it. When he went into mainstream primary he had issues with joining into group activities and following class wide instructions. The learning style at Montessori masked learning issues that he had which have since been dealt with at primary school.
Check out a range of options - Montessori may be the way to go - but also look at whether there is a M. Primary school to continue through with - and check out the portfolios of kiddies at the places you are interested in.

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 11:10pm
And following on from what emeldee said, if there is a Montessori primary in your area, I guess you'll then have to think about how kids are gonna be when they get to high school.

If they've been to a Montessori pre-school and primary school all their life, then suddenly turn 13 and head off to college, with a totally different way of doing things and alot more structure, different way of learning etc.. it would be very very different! I know I would probably be freaked out and not manage if it was me!

Just another thing to think about I guess...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2007 at 3:16pm
We have been looking at primary schools for Maya, and decided against a MOntessori primary as all of the ones in Auckland don't start until they are 6 which means another full year at preschool.

I am worried about how Maya will integrate into school coming from such a structured environment. She is a pretty adaptable kid (has to be, she has twin sisters!)so hopefully will be fine, and also to her advantage she has great social skills so should be able to make friends easily which is something I struggled with at primary school.

We've decided on keeping her enrolled at the Catholic primary school we had originally enrolled her in and then putting her into the One Day School programme to extend her.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Rere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 3:15pm
My son goes to a Montessori Preschool... I would definately recommend it!! They have an educational program, he is learning to read and write and it will give him a great head start at school.
 Post Reply Post Reply