FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:13pm
Yum Alianasmummy, I never knew that about ginger beer, I love that stuff! Good excuse to drink more. Do you make your own or have bought stuff?

I also found a breastfeeding book really helpful, both in the early days and even now. But I'm someone who learns from reading/looking at pictures. Because I was sitting down so much to feed it was easy to read through the book all the time and use it as a reference to troubleshoot. Felt really good to work things out myself! The one I found most useful I bought off Amazon after being lent a copy from my midwife with DD1. It's called 'Breastfeeding, A Parent's Guide' by Amy Spangler and has some stuff in it for Dad's to read about supporting a breastfeeding mum too.

Edited by Mazzy
Mum to two gorgeous girls!
Sponsored Links

bass.baby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass.baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 10:50am
Awesome tips - thanks much!
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 11:16pm
Baby stomach size

I think this helps heaps in those first few days when you think baby might not be getting enough milk. Their stomachs are so tiny- colostrum is more than enough to fill them. But since they are so small they need to feed often as they empty quickly.

I also think if you're really struggling think about having a lactation consultant come around to your house- you may have to pay, but think of it as an investment    
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 3:38pm

" BUMP "

Just thought I would bump this up again - am still having problems with pain, both in the nipple and also shooting pains while feeding and for a while afterwards, not nice. Saw the lactation consultant at the hosp on friday and she said i'm doing everything right in terms of latch etc so not sure why its so sore. Have no visable cracks etc, and she or the MW or the plunket nurse could see no signs of thrush. At this stage just hanging in there, some feeds the pain is very mild and bearable then the next one will be so sore I swear of feeding forever (untill the next feed!). Took the natrapharm Milk Flow spray at the beginning and now am on Blessed Thistle tablets. Have no problem seems with how much milk there is as the wee man put on 540gr last week, its just me dealing with the pain. Have stopped feeding a couple of times and expressed to give myself a break, not that expressing is any less painful!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 9:39pm
Wow 540g! Super steroid milk!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 9:44am
Lisa I had exactly the same symptoms, no cracks, intense pain at the beginning of the feed, shooting pains throughout the day, piercing headache during feeding all sorts, went to the Dr and no sign of infection or thrust and then just this week the symptoms started to ease off and now are hardly appearing at all. So weird. I have been making sure baby is latching with ear, shoulder and hip in alignment and supporting his head well the whole feed (instead of being lazy and sometimes resting it on the feeding pillow with my leg/knee up resting on the foot rest.

Hang in there and fingers crossed your pain goes away soon too! And I agree wowzers on the steriod boobie juice!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 1:32pm

Thanks for that - good to know i'm not alone!! Glad its eased off for you kiwikid, and i am hoping its starting to ease here too. The evening feed last night was pretty damn sore, but the night feed and 2 feeds so far today heven't been anywhere near as bad. I'm finding its not as sore if I don't use the feeding pillow, or any pillow, and sort of let him drop into my lap a little, he seems to like it better and the latch and letdown are a lot more bearable.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:55am
I found BF hurt like the dickens at first,i grimaced everytime C latched and i was convinced she wasnt doing it right, till my friend who was feeding her baby next to me asked what was wrong , and when i said in despair," i can't do it,! her mouth isnt align etc etc " she laughed and said "look at her cheeks Kel, shes feeding fine " ...and she was , i just had this idea of how everything was supposed to be aligned etc, shortly after , i got rid of the pillow,and felt heaps more relaxed, a few weeks later, i , who thought they would never be able to do it , was walking around feeding her .
My fave bf memory is when she was 6 months and we were having a cuddle in my bed, i dozed off and woke up to find that she had lifted up my pj top and was serving herself , was so cute (a bit of a fright at first i'll admit !)
SO for all you mums that want to bf but are having probs , it does get easier , and if it doesnt , and BF is something you really want to do (cos some dont, and thats their choice) then ask for help , the la leche people are lovely ...the ones i met anyway !

Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 12:08pm
bump

DH made me the biscuits they were yummy!
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:44pm
I BF for a year and every month my supply dropped off slighly, couldn't get a let down etc and baby was waking up in the night and feeding heaps during the day. Took me a good 6 months to realise a pattern had formed and she was trying to boost my supply by feeding more for a few days then going back to normal.

I think remembering every baby is different helps lots too. My DD was a quick feeder and was done in about 15 mins tops but all the books said 'babies should feed 20-30 mins on one side...blah blah blah' After lots of reasurance in the early weeks from my midwife that DD was getting enough milk and growing well I relaxed a bit. DD slept through the night early, but fed every 3 hours during the day up until about 8 months old when she dropped slightly.

I even managed to feed her when I fell and broke my ankle very badly and needed surgery, She was 11 months old by then, but I made sure everyone at the hosp knew I was still BF. It really helps to have supportive people around you, especially your DH or partner.

As for things to boost supply.... I found fenugreek (from a health food shop) great but it does make you a bit smelly under the arms, lol, like a curry! Eating and drinking regulary and getting rest. And nothing beats baby drinking lots from you if you need to boost your supply. I hated expressing and found it really hard to get a let down or I couldnt not get more than about 20mls some days. Good job I knew that it wasn't an indication of my milk supply or I would have freaked out!

I agree the kellymom website was a great help!

Edited by pomikiwi

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 12:42pm
i find that the up and go energize drinks are great for my milk supply! with the protien and calcium its good for milk, and they taste yummy. sometimes its hard to eat as often as i should, so one of the drinks and a big glass of water work well as a snack. Water Water Water, meat at least once or twice a day for protein, and remember that most of the fat you eat goes into your milk so don't feel guilty for eating the yummy stuff you crave.
Mattsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 7:40pm
Thank you so much for this thread.

I'm going to try those cookies tomorrow. They look good.

kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 3:18pm
Thanks for all the great advice and tips

I may be able to add to this thread one day soon

Cookies were yum too, thanks for the recipe. Can't believe how much it makes!

Little Angel, April 10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 3:35pm

Made the cookies on the weekend, yum!! DH took some for work today, he didn't ask what was in them so I didn't tell him!!! Made heaps though so will be using them at coffee group this week, only 2 of us feeding at the moment but the others will enjoy them i'm sure.

Mattsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 9:48pm
Hi

I have a question, hopefully someone has an idea on what to do. I have been bf for 14 weeks now, but have had to use formula top ups. I have managed to get the top ups down to about 100ml a day, but today he has started turning away when I try to feed him or not closing his mouth around the nipple. Has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions on how to fix it?
Thanks
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:42pm
I have to admit I just wish someone had told me that I didn't have to do it!
I had a c-section at 37 weeks and after a month of BF my milk still hadn't come in! I tried EVERYTHING I was using an electric pump after every feed and taking these herbal supplements that were supposed to increase milk production. By the end of the first month I was so broken down and depressed, I couldn't stand to look at my babies! but the worst thing was I felt so pressured to not give up! Being a first time Mum you want so bad to do everything right but breastfeeding just doesn't happen for everyone and I really wish someone had just said to me it's O.K. you don't have to BF your babies will be fine and still thrive with formula.
The day I switched I felt terrible but after 5mins I got over and never turned back lol! I actually started to ENJOY my girls

But hey I have great respect for those of you that do it and do it well It's friggin hard work!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Mamaofboys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamaofboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2009 at 11:45am
Hi ladies i am using this smoothie recipe daily and its so good it also is awesome if you haven't had much to eat the complan is like formula for mummies so fills you up and is nutritional, i change the contents all the time, like more bananas, adding frozen berries, sorbet, soy milk but i always keep the complan,yoghurt, yeast and banana in.

"Tigers Milk" Recipe

This "tigers milk" recipe is a great way to boost your milk supply:

1 cup full cream milk
1/2 cup acidophyllis yoghurt
1 Tablespoon complan powder (or milk powder)
1 banana
honey
1 tsp yeast flakes
+/- ice cream
Mix in a blender makes 3-4 cups
drink over the day

The yeast flakes are what increase the "supply" but for anyone out there who wants to increase the "quality" of their milk then use the recipe without the yeast.
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 8:35am
^^ my midwife suggested something similar with brewers yeast but it tasted so I just did it without.

Tis filled my blender, then I just kept it in the fridge;

2 scoops of ice cream
2 bananas
then fill up blender with milk
wizz then serve.

I had a small glass after most feeds, dont now if it really worked or not though, lol!

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 9:14pm
icegirl - I seem to be having that problem at the moment. Arianne has had to have the bottle for top ups since she wasnt gaining weight fast enough and for reasurance, but this week she has been fussing with the boob.

She feeds for about 10 mins then pulls off, either cries of just moves around and doesnt bother going back on, even with the other boob.

It is very fustrating, I have had to start expressing because she isnt taking enough milk out. I dont want to give her the bottle anymore, but I dont feel she is getting enough.

P.S. when she feeds from the bottle she is fine and nearly drinks 100mil at a time.
Mattsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 9:36pm
AriannesMum, I am still BF my son, he is 5 months old now. I just kept at it and he got over the turning away thing most of the time. I do have to be careful that there is nothing else going on in the room though, but apparently that is normal.

You might want to try feeding her the expressed breast milk or formula with a tube. I got a bunch of feeding tubes from the maternity hospital and put one end in the bottle and the other end in the mouth while on the breast, that way baby gets more milk at the same time as stimulating the supply on the breast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>