FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMama Pads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
LuluBelle85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuluBelle85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:59pm
Thanks guys, I might have a look at the mooncup again!

Just a bit concerned as I've always been to heavy to use tampons, so it would be a bit of a change for me.

Yes, I find pads in the bin disgusting as well (especially with my flows).

Toni, I'm sure the girls who use them would be able to enlighten us about what you need to do to keep them clean? (I'm interested as well, even though I think I have some idea)

Will probably give the mooncup a go and get a few cloth pads for nights etc.
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:32pm
eww! would take a bit to get my head around that I think. Thank god for pregnancies huh? No periods!!!!
My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:50pm
I like the idea of the Mama pads, regular ones are SUCH a waste of money!! I also agree with the rubbish thing, very gross!! Have seen some very cool designs around, does anyone know a good place to buy them from??
Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:57pm
If you are out and about you just empty it in the loo and wipe it with loo paper. Clean at home as normal and sterilise once a month after it's monthly use.

They are as perfectly hygenic as tampons (ok unless you left it lying around in dust or shared it perhaps ) and there are no known associated risks unlike tampons which are have the associated risk of TSS.

if you are looking for Mama pads check out TM or sign up to www.greenbeans.co.nz for thier newletter. That will let you know when the next lot of Outrageous! pads go on sale..warning though they sell out fast....last month they sold out and in fact oversold in 6 minutes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuluBelle85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 4:25pm
Thanks heaps for that info Paws!

Looking foward to giving them a go!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 7:21pm
Gen, you have re-inspired me to go buy a mooncup!! Have been meaning to for ages...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

Gen, you have re-inspired me to go buy a mooncup!! Have been meaning to for ages...

Do it! You won't regret it. They do take a little getting used to and a bit of practice as the positioning is different from a tampon but honestly, after one cycle I love mine! And as I've already mentioned...it's very satisfying not to fork out all the money each month!!

Edited by Paws

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Paws Paws wrote:

Do it! You won't regret it. They do take a little getting used to and a bit of practice as the positioning is different from a tampon but honestly, after one cycle I love mine! And as I've already mentioned...it's very satisfying not to fork out all the money each month!!

Totally agree with you on this one Gen !!
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:05am
Ok, I don't get periods at the moment but a few questions spring to mind.

Do you find there is a smell with cloth pads? I am really paranoid about smell with the throwaway pads so wondered if it would be more noticeable with cloth?

Are they any less reliable than disposable? do you have to change more often or do they leak more?

Thanks guys.

Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 10:18am
Hey Mel,

I don't find that there is any stronger a smell with cloth pads than there would be with disposable ones, although I only use the liner weight ones (very light flow) in case of leaks with my mooncup. They do come in all sorts of different 'consistencies' though, light, medium, heavy - and there are even cloth pads out there made specifically for post-partum bleeding. As far as reliability they are fabulous, and I only change them as often as I would a disposable pad, maybe even a bit less.

Hope that helps !
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 11:18am
I have never found there is a smell with cloth pads at all. I've never had a problem with reliabilty either. I've always used brands that have a PUL backing or PUL base so there is no leak through.

I change as often as I would I normal pad. I've used all but post partum and found the results the same across the board.

For cleaning I keep a small discreet container (I use an old huggies wipe container) beside the loo with cold water and pop them to soak in that until washing. The soaking water then goes on my plants - it's a brillant fertiliser!!!

Hubby commented right away that it was nicer than when I used disposables becuase they weren't sitting in the rubbish and he did notice a smell then! So even he is a huge fan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuluBelle85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 11:33am
I think thats a brilliant idea about the container beside the loo and then using it in the garden!

Edited by booweeza
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 12:25pm
Well it's effectively the same as blood and bone and believe me....it really works miracles!

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Two Blondinis Two Blondinis wrote:

so... if you're out and about and need to empty it, where do you rinse the moon cup? in the public bathroom? or does the water have to be sterile?

Like Gen said, wipe out with toilet paper... or take in a water bottle (like Pump) and rinse it out in the toilet.

I think you can boil them to sterilise between periods (that right?)

No more unhygenic than other things that get put up there
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:33pm
P.S. As soon as the guy next to me leaves the uni computer room, I'm buying a moon cup. Just don't want him glancing at me any weirder than he already is!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:34pm
Yup just boil them.

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 4:18pm
Ok, little bit random but I mentioned this topic to a friend who suggested using a sea sponge. Has anyone ever tried that?

ETA - Thanks Jax & Paws

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuluBelle85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 4:56pm
Yes, I've heard of loads of people using sea sponges.

Anyone here use them?

I think a mooncup would be a lot easier to clean when you're out and about though.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 5:13pm
there are a couple of other sites that sell mama cloth too, incl fuzis, jeol eze naps and

this one

and

this one too

as well as on trade me, trade me user name skytower sells MCN as well as wool mama pads (and they are fab), also mamapossum and they are great too.

also junglemama sell diva cups.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuluBelle85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 3:44pm
Wow, those sites are great!

Thanks heaps for that gandt!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>