FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArgh! Monsters!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argh! Monsters!
    Posted: 02 April 2007 at 8:19pm
I am so wild! Maya is refusing to sleep because apparantly there are monsters in her bedroom and/or ghosts. I know I should be the nice touchy-feely Mummy and say "it's ok baby, Mummy will stay with you" but I am over it. Seriously, every night it's something else with this kid! The past few nights it's been the wiggly bottom, but now that I've given her a worm tablet and told her there is no way she can still have a wiggly bottom she's thought of something else.

Grrrr! How can I stop the nightly performance? We have a nightly routine, she helps me put the babies to bed then I read her a story and brush her teeth etc. then tuck her in. And every night she carries on for up to two hours.

She is sitting outside the door to the office crying "I need you Mama" when the only thing she needs is a good kick up the butt!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:14pm
you need a bottle of monster spray. get her to spray the room with it and then tell her she cant get out of bed...and be tough about making her stay...

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:21pm
Get her to check the cupboards and drawers to see that there is no monsters in there and then she should stay in bed. Ask where the monsters came from, maybe some one at preschool has told her about them.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:38pm
I never thought of monster spray. I did check the cupboards, under the bed etc. She is now asleep on the couch with her father who was too lazy to put her back to bed (I gave her a smack and told Willie if she came out again she was his problem).

I don't even think monsters are the issue. It's a power struggle - she is asserting her independence. Tonight I told her to get in the bath and she said no and I said "Maya Grace get in the bath please" and she said "didn't you hear what I said, I said no!" and I said "I am starting to get cross" and she said "Are you listening to me, I said no".

Part of me is secretly proud that she is so clever, part of me is shocked that she is mimicking me and I sound like my mother (!) and part of me wants to give her a good wallop and say "I'm the Mum now do what you're bloody well told!"
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 7:28am
lol yes my eldest is giving me cheek too, and i wont even discuss the little one. But lissy is always so good, now she has morphed into someone who likes to backchat her mother. It must be about this age that we lock them up somewhere for the next 15 years???????????

I agree with the monster spray.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 8:51am
We had this with paris a few months back aparently some monster cam ena dhid under her bed. we just carried on with what we always did and eventually it aparently must have gone away.

But i agree with the backchat.. we are getting alot of that too.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 8:52am
gabriel is always saying no to me - maybe he got it from maya lol.....

i guess if it was a power struggle last night then she won. she got to stay up with daddy on the couch. so tonight will be even harder...

get your monster spray and your resolve ready... oh and it will be even harder tonight seeing mummy will really want her to go to bed...

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:29am
My niece had a thing about monsters too (she's almost 4) and my brother and his wife did the monster spray thing. I also made her a wee quilt with a monster on it (found a colouring page on the internet and copied it) and told her it's her Monster Protection Blanket. If all else fails, you can always sell the monsters on TradeMe -- when I worked at Woman's Weekly, we ran a story about a lady who sold her daughter's monsters on TM. The daughter drew photos of them and they wrote down what each monster did and where they lived. People asked the most hilarious questions on the auction -- what they eat, if they're noisy, how big they were. It was so cute!
EllenMumof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllenMumof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:36am
Kalem went though the moster stage and thats when the incredibles movies was the rage so i told kalem that mummy has put a big a incredible shield up and that worked a treat 

Kalem 6!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 10:36am
I remember the monsters on trade me, so funny.
We dont have monsters yet but we do have the talking back. Everything is 'but i want to' or 'dont tell me no' wonder if i can get a spray for that!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 1:16pm
sadly Robyn, have tried to find a spray for that.. and thinking of formulating my own. lol

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:47pm
Maya must be a rival for Hannah's title of Queen of Excuses-to-get-out-of-bed.

The kid drives me mad. At the moment it's just a drink of water... but a few months ago it was a drink of water, the toilet, teddy needs a drink of water, teddy is hungry, forgot to give Jutey a kiss, forgot to give Gazzy a kiss, blanket, another drink of water... ah for feck's sake. It used to go on for hours.

I ended up just telling her that this was the last time I was coming in and she was getting no more water/food/kisses/toilet. (Then she'd release the poo she had been saving for this particular part of the routine so I'd be forced to change her... then she'd have won so would go to sleep )

Anyway, nice but firm. And here's hoping it'll work!
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 8:18pm
Harry is going through the same thing...re the Monsters I tell him they are all outside but I like the Monster Spray so will try that.

He is also doing the back chat thing and the hardest thing I find it trying not to smile or laugh when he does it as it sounds so cute and yes, secretly I am impressed (but I know that will change).
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 8:41am
Trust me, the back-chat thing looses its novalty value very quickly! Just ask Jax - I've offered her Kiya numerous times when I've had enough of the attitude!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:26am
LOL Nikki - not content with just water, Maya has to have WARM water. So she may well have a cup full of water next to the bed but if it goes cold then it is no good

I had a tupperware party last night and let Miss Maya stay up a little later (OK so a lot later) and when I finally put her in the spare room where Willie was hiding out watching TV we all heard her screaming about how she didn't want to go to bed
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 1:40pm
We haven't had trouble with monsters... actually I don't think Hannah knows what monsters are (yay!). But I wouldn't recommend selling them on TM because surely that would just give heaps of rewarding attention?

But we ARE having the "I don't want to's". We want to be so careful to not just insist on blind obedience, I think it makes the job so much harder though. We talk about, "this is one of those things that you can't choose" and how sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to (such as tidying up the toys).

Emma is Maya ready for a 1/2 hour later bedtime? Just a thought.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

Emma is Maya ready for a 1/2 hour later bedtime? Just a thought.

I don't think so. She is always shattered by bedtime, I think she is just like me, a night owl, altho she gets up pretty early.

I hear you on the blind obedience thing too - Maya is really into questions at the moment, most of the time I try to answer them with a reasonable answer but I do have my frustrated moments when I reply "because I'm the Mum and I said so!"

Tonight she went to bed with no major dramas - I am amazed! I made Willie put her to bed coz I was just shattered (have been walking round the zoo all day) and she went straight to sleep. Last nght she played up tho and went I got up to tuck her in I found her asleep in my bed with the light on! I picked her up and put her in her own bed and she stayed there all night.

I guess this is my come-uppance for bragging about what a great sleeper she was as a baby If only I'd known it would get harder - I might have run away while I had the chance!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

I guess this is my come-uppance for bragging about what a great sleeper she was as a baby If only I'd known it would get harder - I might have run away while I had the chance!

I have the same problem. I swear Han was pretty good as a baby (and responded well to "Take the Power Back" missions) now however - worst sleeper EVER.

Altho it is ok at the moment... she only got up twice last night.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:22pm
my girls are wakingup fairly early at the mo, and i am restless anyway, annoying thing is once they wake me up - i can't go back to sleep, i have to get up and have something to eat. consequently i am dog tired. have yet to trial ayja with taking the side off her cot, not ony do i think she'll fall out (have matresses for the floor) but i know she won't stay in there.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

Altho it is ok at the moment... she only got up twice last night.

Only? *shudder*

I suppose I should be grateful that at least when the Maya-troll finally goes to sleep she does stay there.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>