FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrouble with wetting pants - Please help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamawendz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamawendz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble with wetting pants - Please help.
    Posted: 12 April 2007 at 10:42am
Hi girls,

My daughter is turning 6 this year and we are STILL having trouble getting her to go toilet before having a small accident.

She doesn't wet her pants as such, but she seems to hold on as long as she can before going to the bathroom and ALWAYS ends up wetting her knickers a little bit which causes her to get smelly so we are constantly changing her knickers. We might go through 5 pairs a day?

Its as if she waits until she feels a bit come out before she runs to the toilet?

We have tried so hard talking to her and explaining to her its just not working.

It happens all day and night and I'm washing her sheets every day, mostly because they get smelly rather than wet.

I really want to try fix this as she has started school now and I don't want her to have this problem at home let alone school when Im not there.

Im finding it really hard, and just wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
mama_wendz
My Girls: Maddisyn Tylr & Layla-Mei Virginia
My Baby Boy: Noah Aotearoa
Sponsored Links

sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 10:53am
I've had a similar thing with a child in my class and the constant reminders to go before the bell, at morning tea and then at lunch seemed to help while they were at school. It also helped that even at 5 they go to the toilets in little groups!

I'm sure someone on here will have some helpful suggestions for you
JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 11:05am
I think sometimes kids can play so intently that they don't realise until they can feel it coming which is why they don't often make it.

Perhaps try making her sit on the toilet every couple of hours or so, even if she says she doesn't need to go and get her to just "try".

An incentive might work well also. Doing a sticker chart and praising her the times she does make it. I had a similar problem and I drew a picture of a flower and put it on the fridge. Each time she had a dry day or night she would get to colour in one of the petals of the flower. When the flower was all coloured in, she got to pick a prize out of a box. I had writen different prizes in there e.g trip to the movies, a morning or day where she would get to choose everything we did, trip to the $2 shop or whatever.

It won't last forever

Good luck
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 3:13pm
have you taken her to the doc just to make sure she doesnt have a bladder infection?

My mum used to work at a health camp and what they did for the wetters was to fill them up as much as possible on water so that they would need to pee often it would teach them to realise when they needed to go.

Also maybe try buying her some new undies but say she cant start wearing them until she has had a week of no wees in her old ones.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 3:25pm
The new undies and Stickers really worked for Ethan. Though he still wets at nights lately (?)

I would just work on quick rewards. Sometimes filling a chart can take sooo long and may seem like an impossible task for a little one.
We had an aim of at least 3 stickers a day for going properly (sometimes he doesn't point it down and it goes straight under the seat and onto his clothes). I then extended the amount of stickers to four etc..
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 3:26pm
Oh, and whenever I went, he went... regardless of whether he thought he needed to. He also did a lot of watching to see how I did it and how Dad did it..
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 4:08pm
yep i would take her to the docs to rule out any medical reason first. my niece has had scans and all sorts and she is 7 now and still wets.

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 10:37pm

im having the same probs with my almost 4 yr old.since jan hes been wetting and #2's in his undies.he was only fully TT last november so had 2 months of been really good.i am at my wits end as to what to do next.Have done the bad bad thing of threatening( i feel bad about that ),am going to try the "stamp" chart with him for a couple of weeks and cos hes wetting so much(as in never going on the loo at all during the day) i am doing 4 3 hour blocks and then when hes got that sussed i will do 3 4hour blocks of being dry,the stretch it out to half days then full dry days(maybe that will take more than 2 weeks hehe).his big reward will be flash buzz lightyear shoes which light up when he masters full dry days but in meantime will be a lollipop/fave choccy bar or something at end of each week if he has less than x amnt of sad face stamps. for that week.if the chart isnt wrking too well then i am going to take him to get checked out at docs.

its frustrating cos he has done really well fromm TT till jan,and it frustrates me more that he wets while sitting on the couch,i can understand the too engrossed in playing to realise but sittin still on a couch hmmmmm.

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
mamawendz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamawendz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2007 at 8:22pm
Thanks so much for all the advice. Its such a relief to know Im not the only one having trouble with this.

We have taken her to the doctor, but nothing is wrong.
It was over a year ago though, so I think I might take her again.

I am DEFINATELY going to try that reward thing. It never actually crossed my mind to do that. I can't believe I didn't think of it. I guess it always seemed like a time to just tell her off, or sit her down for a "lecture" of some type?

I've tried that "put her on the loo every few hours" but that hasn't worked.

She KNOWS she has to go cos you can see her jiggling away and I'm contstantly saying to her "GO TO THE TOILET!". I just get so frustrated sometimes, it gets really hard.

I'm going to try the reward thing starting tomorrow! And Thankfully it is the holidays so it will be a little easier. If that doesn't help. We will go back to the docs.

More suggestions are welcome!
mama_wendz
My Girls: Maddisyn Tylr & Layla-Mei Virginia
My Baby Boy: Noah Aotearoa
 Post Reply Post Reply