FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPND

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
nathansmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:19pm
And out the other side.

I have been through postnatal depression and now I am on the way out the other side of it and as I travel this bumpy road I would like to share my story with you.Insight to this is my first born was 7 weeks prem and had major problems and ended up on life support. 6 weeks after my baby Georgia was born he was diagnosed with Cerepral Palsy.

16 of June 2006 I gave birth to a beautiful long waited for baby girl her name is Georgia Louise

She is the most precious thing and next to her brother I could never love another child like I love these two. It is an all-consuming love almost to the point of explosion. But for a while I did wonder if I would ever love my daughter like I loved my son. It is a terrible thing to say and just as huge to admit this but I believe it is part of the healing and I need to heal now so I also need to accept how I was feeling at the time.

PND is the worst thing I think any mother could go through. Not truly feeling attached to your child even though it is supposed to be the most natural thing in the world cant help but set you up for the biggest fall in your life because if it is natural why the hell cant I feel it.

For so long I used to say to my Georgia that I loved her but I did not like her and I used to say that to people as well but what I was really hiding was the fact that I did not even love her as I had no emotion left in my body or soul to even describe what I felt for her.

I would look at her and just cry, I would think that I did not love her and cry, just the thought of having to feed her and hold her made me cry and writing this now is making me cry and that was basically my life for the first 16 weeks of my beautiful baby girls life and I have overwhelming guilt because of this but at the same time I know it is not my fault nor is it Georgia’s fault.

The day I asked for help was the worst day of this debilitating disease but it was also the last day of it as I had finally asked for help and I was so not expecting the help I got in many different ways.

That day had started off like all the others consisting of me not wanting to get up or even out of bed but I had to, as my husband was off to work. My son was in a typical 2 yr old mood and started to whine and I have never yelled at my children but something in me started to boil and even boil does not describe the feeling in my body and I finally snapped. The voice that came out of me and yelled at my son was not mine I had never even heard it before and I have no recollection of what it said to my son but from the frightened look on his face I new it had scared the life out of him and I then sunk to the floor wanting to die and I just cried, this was the first time I had actually cried completely. I always started to cry and thought STAY STRONG but this time there was no strongness in my soul it had departed and left me broken, shattered like a run over dog I had never felt so low and in despair with the feeling of no way out.

Now I look back and I can see so many people could see it happening and were waiting for me to call. Not in a horrible way but they just knew the warning signs and could see me coming like a steam train and when I collided with the wall the steam train just wanted to keep on going.

When I thought all the tears had stopped I picked up my plunket book and rung my plunket nurse and she was one of the few that saw it coming as a few weeks earlier she did a big no no in her profession and put her home number in my book. I rang her and burst into tears she had a quick chat and said she would be there as soon as possible but was going to get someone to call to make sure I was okay as she had a meeting to go to.

I then hung up from her and rang my husband. I was so ashamed to be ringing him and telling him I could not cope as I was a women that did cope and did not ask for help or fall over like I just had. My husband was so great he even came home just to give me a cuddle and check that everyone was okay.

I was then referred to Maternal Mental Health on the North Shore and from there went through the process of seeing a doctor and a consoler and they wanted me to go on medication but being the battler I thought I was I said no but after a few weeks I could see I was getting no where fast and took the medication and I cannot believe the difference it made after a couple of weeks it was like the cloud had lifted and I could see again. From there I have gone from strength to strength I now know it was not my fault and I am not a failure as a mother I just had a bloody rough time of it and needed a little help to see the way. I have recently read the book written by Brooke Shields called “Down came the Rain” and I laughed and I cried my way through it and I feel it was the best thing I had done as it gave me an insight to someone else who had the problems I did and I believe anyone with PND should get a copy of this from your local library.
Thanks and good luck to all.

Edited by nathansmum
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:47pm

Edited by amy
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 10:22pm
dont forget amy that planning weddings - big, small, casual or not - are hard work and stressful. maybe your man just thinks that your mum is pressuring you into doing something you dont want. they have funny ways of showing they care
mozwart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 1:32am
Last year we went through our second round of IVF (our first resulted in our beautiful 2 1/2 year old daughter). At my 7 week scan, there were two heart beats. Went into shock for a while but slowly accepted and began to look forward to having two wonderful babies, but could not imagine how I would ever cope. Didn't have to worry about it for too long as at my 19 week scan discovered that one of the babies had died at around 16 weeks. Was told that I would have to carry my dead baby until survivor was born as removing it was too risky to the other twin.

So began my rollercoaster ride into hell. I spent the next few months crying hysterically during the night and not wanting to get up and look after my daughter during the daytime. I just basically got up to prepare her meals and then returned to bed and let her watch TV in my bedroom for most of the day. I could not get past the fact that my body was a cemetary. I could not get on with and enjoy life as that would be disrespecting my dead baby.

After 5 weeks, I called my midwife and told her that I thought I was depressed and was not coping and she sent me straight to my GP and he referred me to MMH. That evening, my neighbour and close friend died suddenly and I had a front row seat out my front window. Got a letter from MMH two weeks later telling me that they would get to me in about six weeks time as they were so busy. My sister finally got hold of them and told them that they had to see me asap as she was worried about what I would do to myself. They finally came to see me.

I was booked in for an elective c-section a week before my due date. A few weeks before this date I was in the doctors office crying hysterically begging him to bring it forward by one more week. I just had a feeling it was all going to go pear shaped. He refused and gave me a prescription for anti-depressants.

Three days before my operation date, I went into labour. Got to the hospital at around 11.00pm. My pains were 5 mins apart (they had started at 7 mins) and soon after arriving they were 2 mins apart. Midwife kept calling the doctor on duty, but he didn't seem to want to come in to do my operation in the middle of the night. He finally came in (after my husband demended that he make an appearance at least) and after witnessing two contractions (I was literally screaming) got in the surgical team. Thank goodness cause Rebecca's feet were up by her face and she was in breech (that explained the pain).

We had the other baby looked at by a perinatal pathologist and found out it was a boy and as he was born after 20 weeks, he got a birth certificate (bittersweet).

I'm still on the pills and love them. They make my life normal and my moods even. I certainly notice if I miss a few in a row. I start to cry again whenever I think of Regan.

I love my girls (Rebecca is now 5 months), but even now find it hard to get up some days. Rebecca is very unsettled, especially at night, but ironically has been sleeping through for the most part since seven weeks. Just really hard to get into bed. Samantha was sleeping through, but has started waking up again at least once a night.

I really feel like Samantha is missing out on a lot and feel really guilty most of the time. I just can't seem to get organised. If we need to go anywhere during the day, it all just takes so much organising, it's easier to just stay home. I just dropped off her enrollment for kindy last week so hopefully things will get back to normal. Every week, I think to myself "This week I'll take the girls to playgroup", but it never works out that way.

God, I'm such a mess. LOL. Honestly, I feel much better than I did.
Binn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Binn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 8:46am
Hi guys i dont know if i have PND but after reading what some of you have been through i think I do fit the bill.
I cry at absolutely everything and feel lost and alone most of the time. Being a first time mum with no family or friends network here in Auckland has been tough over the last few weeks, my partner is at work all day and when he comes home I dont feel that i should have to burden him with how i'm feeling, I'm not actually a person who admits i need help or even asks I've always marched along.
Even as I'm sitting here typing this I'm crying and expecting to hear Cameron wake up any minute, he has reflux and only sleeps in 45 minute periods on a good day other days he's awake all day.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 9:35am
and therein is the hardest par tof it all. asking forh elp. I always always have had the childhood of making sure i didn't cry, i didn't ask for help, my mum was too busy, too tired, too depressed. and that was that, so i just thought i could do it all myself - petrified that if mike knew he'd take off with PAris and leave me thinking i was crazy. When we finally talked, he was so sad to hear that he had been so oblivious, to think i had gone through this alone, and thought that he would leave me.       No-one can make you do it you need to find that courage in yourself, but once you do, ohhh it's like that weight has been lifted, it's out there, it's no longer that horrible scary terrifying secret.. it's a problem and you've shared it.
good luck
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 9:42am
Mozwart, settingyourself goals is a great way to do things, but if it all seems a bit overwhelming, try little steps.
I would get the nappy bag and buggy ready then ight before.. so that was one less thing to do.
At first it was just, "right, we are going to go outside today," we'd get the mail and looka t leaves and play a bit of ball.. or even just hang the washing. Next steps after being able to get that sorted a few times were "right, am just going to walk to the shop today" even if i had no reason to go, i'd stop and get myself something special like a can of creaming soda.. mmm. something FOR ME.   After a while, it got to thepoint of "right i can walk to town today, everythings in teh bag, lets go" I gave myself out clauses but i think knowing that there was no pressure put on myself, by myself, meant that i felt safe to just keep going, to walk past the letterbox, to walk past the shop, to walk into town, to go to our playgroup. And after the first 2 times, it was easier, i found someone else going through the same, we would sit and talk it out while our kids played. it was the best therapy for me. good luck and set small steps to big goals, actually getting to playgroup when you feel this way, is a big step. just think little steps, right i will stick the kids int he car, right i will get in, right i will drive to .... " at any time you can pull out. but you'll get there.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 9:57am
Originally posted by mum2paris mum2paris wrote:

and therein is the hardest par tof it all. asking forh elp. I always always have had the childhood of making sure i didn't cry, i didn't ask for help, my mum was too busy, too tired, too depressed. and that was that, so i just thought i could do it all myself

That's my biggest fear - that Maya (and the gremlins) will grow up thinking that. I don't want my depression to alter the way they grow up, I'm their Mum and I need to be the strong one, not the other way around.

Binn - Your story is absolutely heartbreaking. I can't imagine what is must have been like to lose one of your precious babes and then still have to focus on being pregnant and giving birth to another. I commend the strength you have for just getting thru it, and I'm sure your wee angel is very proud of his Mum and sisters. I know for me time is a big healer, it doesn't make the pain go away, but it does bring lots of new, better memories that make the pain seem more manageable.

Mozwart - I'm sorry to hear you feel so isolated. I agree with Mum2paris ,just getting out of the house makes me feel so much better, even if it is a military operation to get the four of us out the door in the morning. I don't know which part of Auckland you are in but a group of mums (and Dad's) from the message boards gets together every couple of months or so, and I've met some great people that way. You're always welcome to come along.

Edited by Maya
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 10:01am
Oh and just about me (coz really it's ALL about me ) I woke Himself up at 1am coz I decided if I can't sleep coz of his silly behaviour then he's not going to sleep either. We had a good talk, I'm still not sure where we stand but at least we've started communicating coz that hasn't happened a lot lately. Altho after talking for an hour and a half and crying my eyes out the cheeky sod still thought he was going to get him some
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 10:14am
ha, they're great like that. i spose the nice thing ihad swinging for me with the talk i had with mike last night was that i said to him "hhhm think of all the "relations" you'd get if we TTC#3, lol"
him being the way he is, that would definately come into his equation for his final decision i feel .

but yeah that is the most frustrating thing in the world, they think cos you've opened up and had a hear tot heart that now you're all forgiven and vulnerable and wanting to be close to them is what they think means "sweet, I'm in!"

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 11:31am
Yep! Here I was thinking "it's so nice to actually feel close to each other" and here was him thinking "nice! She wants in!"

Needless to say, he did NOT get what he was after!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 11:50am
lolol ...... and so back to the sulking . lol

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 12:10pm

Edited by amy
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 12:14pm

Edited by amy
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 1:13pm
man
read
WHAT?

lol mike reads car magazines and stock car stuff, i had a hard enough time gettin ghim to read anything about pregnancy.. (which if i remember rightly, he didn't) to get him to read a book about love languages, lolol.. that would be funny.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 7:55pm
Willie reads the TV pages. And on the odd occasion the sports pages in the Sunday Herald, but only to check the Super 14/NRL tables.

Big hugs Amy - if your Dad's the boss can't you tell your workmate to go and get knotted? Daddy won't fire you will he? Just kidding - I've worked for my dad before now and lets just say we live and learn.

I'm still keen on getting all these useless men in one place and bashing their heads together. Will be amusing if nothing else
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 8:48pm

Edited by amy
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 9:28pm
LMAO - I said the exact same thing to Toni yesterday. Sometimes I wish Willie WAS violent! Don't get me wrong, I have been in an abusive relationship in the past and it is so not cool, but it would at least show that he cares enough to fight about it instead of just ignoring me.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 12:55pm

Edited by amy
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 1:00pm
aaahhh, sleep is gooood. not that i would know have had very little as not been able to go back to bed after kids have gone thel ast few mornings and have stayed up lateish cos couldn't sleep, so is annoying.

and on the getting them all together.. nah, mike's pretty good, ok... damn good, i don't think he needs that. That and i think he would get broken. lolol
(am i too protective of him?, i think he hates that i am.. but hello, at only 2x the weight of our 3 yr old.. i just feel that he is easily "breakable" lol)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>