FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOk, TMI coming your way.. Post D&C stuff,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok, TMI coming your way.. Post D&C stuff,
    Posted: 05 May 2007 at 11:58pm
Ok, so, TMI TMI coming your way.

Have had fairly heavy-ish bleeding since monday when i had my D&C,, i expected some bleeding, that's fine, was lightish on monday evening and tuesday. then got some like bad period pains during the night on tuesday, woke up shaking (which is what i tend to do when i am in pain.. i shake) 2 panadol fixed it fine. Anyway have still had bursts of heavy bleeding for last couple of days, with bad period pain usually starting late afternoon to night time (i figured it was cos that's when the girls got home and i started being alot more active..)

ANYWAYS.. this arvo while having a sleep i had the bad pains again with back pain, weird.

OK here's the TMI TMI part.. at work tonight kept feeling that i was having heavy loss. went to loo at dinner time and passed a few largeish clots.. kinda length and width of finger like,, then went to put underwear back on and passed another.. i have kept this (wrapped in pad, and then stuck in a specimen jar when i got home tonight)   It looks like a placenta, seriously, is about the size of two $2 coins joint, with vessels coming out of it, just like a placenta..with a kinda jellyclot thing attached to it at the other end.. like it was a baby or something, only a couple of centimetres long, but babyish shaped. it freaked me out. Am going to ring Midwife tomorrow, and as i have said i have kept it and put it in a sterile container.

but any help would be great.. why would this happen after a D&C? is there the possiblity that maybe it was 2 and they missed one? Bleeding since passing that this evening has been very very minimal..and pain has gone, i just feel like all that pain over the last few days was my body trying to get rid of this other thing.

again sorry for the TMI. is weirding me out and also scaring me that maybe there were two, maybe the other one had been ok, maybe maybe maybe. They were only looking for one, so after getting all that stuff and 1 baby out i guess they wouldn't really have looked for too much more if everything was intact?

am grasping straw.. and also know the chances of getting any replies till tomorrow morning is zilch.. but had to post, had to ask.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 12:21am
I don't know, but I just wanted to send some to you and hope that you feel better tonight, no more cramps.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 8:49am
That does seem odd Janine but I haven't had a D&C so I don't know either I hope you can get hold of your mw early today.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 8:58am
I remember having some heavy bleeding and clotting after but to be honest i never really looked that closely. When i went under I remember telling them to make sure they didnt forget there were two babies and not just one and was told not to worry there is no way they would miss two babies. Although in the state i was in they could have been just trying ease my mind.
Will be interesting to see what your midwife says though.
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 9:32am
Just wanted to give you a big cyberhug. Hope you get the answers tomorrow.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 10:40am
Hey there, just got her fill-in who said that yetp my body would have been cramping etc to try and get rid of whatever it was, but since the pain and bleedings stopped just to keep it a further 24 hrs in case i start bleeding heavily, otherwise there's nothing they can do.

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 11:00am
Scary stuff. to you.
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 11:21am
I dont know anything about this but I'm sure they couldnt miss one...could they? Wouldnt think so. Big hugs!!!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 11:35am
Are they going to have a look at your specimen?
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 1:26pm
aparently not.

I personally think i am going to keep it anyway and put it with whatever i get back from the hospital - which i hope will be in the next few days, if not i will ring them anyway and find out what's happening, the registrar said she would ring me anyway to discuss the findings so may just run it by her when she does.

I guess really i will never know, all i know is what i think it looks like, which after having seen a few placentas etc.. am pretty sute this looked like a smaller version and definately has the vessels coming out of it like the umbi cord.     

I don't feel like i've had much support from M/W with this whole experience, i've never been through it before so don't really know what i should get, however i have had 1 phone call after our scan to book the D&C and some flowers which were gorgeous, no visits, no explanations of what to watch out for or anything, just if i felt yuck or got a temp to go to A&E. am kinda glad i have some med knowledge cos even i feel still like i am in the dark about it.

This midwife was a completely new one as the one i had with my other 2 girls has retired from independant midwifery. It all feels a bit weird.. cos my other one was just so supportive and helpful all the time. It's probably normal, i just feel that i haven't had much guidance etc with this. Just the formalities and bookings etc.

In saying that, i am feeling sooo much better today than i have in a long time physically, so hopefully that's what was making me feel ick.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 2:32pm
I'm glad you're starting to feel better, your body was obviously busy trying to sort something out. It must be good to have the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 8:28pm
Argh, just typed a long reply and it's gone off to the cyberspace gremlins...

Post d and c I had very little bleeding but I had already had bleeding for a few days before hand. But after I had the gremlins I retained a piece of the membranes and bled quite heavily for ages. About 4 weeks PP I felt a pop and passed a huge chunk of membraney stuff and the bleeding stopped a few hours later. My midwife said the retained products were probably blocking the cervix and once they passed everything was clear. I did keep it tho and show it to her to make sure, and she did refer me for a scan a couple of days later to make sure everything was gone.

Re: the midwife thing, I read an interesting article in the last edition of Next magazine about miscarriage and the problems with the NZ system in that pre-20 weeks pregnancy loss is considered a miscarriage and dealt with by gynacologists and after 20-weeks pregnancy loss is considered still birth and dealt with by obstetricians and midwives. When I had my d and c in Sydney I was treated by an obstetric team, and they were really, really good.

ETA: I pressed Post Reply before I was finished (not my night tonight it seems

Anyways, I am working on a feature for OHbaby! on pregnancy and infant loss to be published in October for pregnancy and infant loss awareness week and I am finding it a real eye opener. There are some really shocking stories of how people have been treated post-loss, but also some heartwarming stories of midwives who have gone above and beyond and subsequent pregnancy success stories.

Edited by Maya
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 8:48pm
My whole experience was pretty bad. when i first went for the scan they basically just told me that there were two babies but they were underdeveloped for my dates and that i had to wait a week. when that next scan came round I got back to the room after having it and a nurse came in and said ok so do you want to have a d&c or would you prefer to wait and see if things happened naturally. I had to ask if that meant the babies hadnt survived and was only then told that no they hadnt. I decided on a d&c and was then asked if i wanted to keep my 'unwanted products of conception' (oh we have to call it that, she said) felt like screaming at her that they were wanted they just didnt want me. And i saw my midwife the day i went for the first scan, only because she was already in the hospital seeing someone else but didnt see her again, got one phone call after and that was it, basically left to just get on with life.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 12:18am
It does feel pretty terrible, I don't even feel like i know who to ring for things.. do i still consult my midwife or ring my doctor or what? It does feel like they just forget and get on with the ladies that are still preg, which is fine that's their job and they are busy. It just feels like all the support is gone just when you need it.

Have had nothing all day till again this evening when at work had basically the same as last night with clots and tissue.. am beginning to wonder if it's because i was more active but i hardly think that.. i am more active at home.. up till 7 this evening the unit had 3 babies in it, and there were 3 of us on.. so NOT busy. (we did get more though, all at once) I somehow wonder if being around the babies stimulate hormones or something and make things contract. god i have no idea,. lol. weird.

bumblefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumblefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:23am

Gosh that does sound odd Janine.

Im not sure how that could happen, as a D &C is meant to clean out the entire inside of all its contents, and you would have to wonder how a fetus and placenta would be missed, but as you say, if you are only looking for one, then thats all you find... But wouldnt it have shown up on your scans you had to check the heartbeat? Surely so...

Im no expert at this, but you know what it looked like, and with your job are probably the most qualified to know what that looks like.

Im sorry to hear that you havent had much support from the MW, its sad to think you just get left now. When I had my MC I was still early on and so still with the GP, she was pretty good, but a little too 'oh weel, it happens' about it all if you know what I mean. Best of luck finding out the answers, and I would push for the 'clot' to be examine by someone, you never know. At least then you wouldnt have the nagging in the back of your mind.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 9:08am
I was lucky with my experience, well as lucky as you can be in such a horrible situation I guess. When I started bleeding I went to the after hours doctor (it was early in the morning on NYE) and explained to the nurse what was happening and she put me in a room on my own so I didn't have to wait in the waiting room bawling my eyes out. The doctor was lovely and arranged for me to have a scan done immediately and a hCG level. The sonographer was lovely, he had to do an internal as it was hard to see what was going on, but he told me bb was only measuring 5w5d when I was supposed to be 7 already. He couldn't be sure whether there was no heartbeat coz baby had died, or no heartbeat coz it was too early to see so he said come back in a week. He was lovely tho. The hardest part was waiting for the scan report, there was another lady there obviously having her 20 week scan which made me bawl even more.
Went home and by 2 days later I knew it was over coz I had been cramping and bleeding for 2 days straight with no sign of let up so I went to the hospital and they were really good too. I had the d and c that afternoon and came home the next morning, my blood pressure was really low so they kept me in overnight. I threw a tanty and wouldn't eat/get out of bed which didn't help. And the hospital were great when I asked to keep 'baby', I had to have pathology done to rule out a molar pregnancy but the pathology guy was brilliant, he talked to me over the phone for ages about possible causes and arranged for baby to be released to us even tho that's not common practise in Australia, and he gave me a letter to give to NZ customs so I could bring baby back here.

The only not so good experience was when a house surgeon came to put in an IV line and called the social worker coz I seemed 'upset'. Well duh! The social worker was good and gave me a heap of pamphlets to read but I wasn't ready to talk about it and I felt a bit resentful, as if they thought I shouldn't be so upset.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 9:18am
I was lucky to have gone home the same day, and after theatre went to the transit lounge to recover.. where my old charge nurse from the unit now works.. so she was great got me a muffin etc. lol would have been nice to see her in different circumstances though.

Post Reply Post Reply