FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone with DoubleDay Book Club?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone with DoubleDay Book Club?
    Posted: 19 August 2008 at 9:58pm
Reason I ask, is that I canceled my membership with them about 2 months ago ....I'd bought my 6 books that I needed to (as part of their membership deal) and then I said no more. So bloody overpriced compared to bookshops.

Anyways, yesterday I get a phone call from some lady at Doubleday (and might I add she could barely speak english ) ...she kept nagging and nagging about rejoining and how they were going to send out a free complimentary book and SUPPOSEDLY if I'm still not keen to rejoin I can just tick 'no thanks' but get to keep the free books .... (and apparently they are going to give me $80 worth of vouchers to spend and no obligations if I decide to rejoin? -yeah right!) Does this sound suspicious?

Nothing in life is free ....I'm definitely going to be reading the small print, thats for sure.

Has anyone else had this same offer?
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:21am
yeah im with double day and they did this with me as well...

and its right, i now pay no postage, only have to order like 1 book in a 12mth period, got to spend the $80 of vouchers (can only spend 1 voucher per book).

i can also take advantage of those special lures they have to get new customers, so occasionally i get books for that special joining offer.

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 10:31am
Wow that DOES sound like a fantastic offer, I really thought there would have to be some kinda crazy catch....

Maybe I will stay with them ....one book a year can't hurt!
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 10:36am
I've cancelled a membership with them too and didn't want anything more to do with them (bad customer service, over-priced books that I wouldn't have decided to buy after seeing them, and they screw you on postage)... but far out did their telemarketer NOT get that point! She talked on and on and argued with me - even spoke over the top of me whenever I tried to interject her pre-prepared spiels... grrrr! She told me I'd need to buy 6 books in a year for this offer ($80 vouchers and a freebie book I didn't want). I really wished I'd hung up on her afterwards - wasted much of my time she did.
Andie
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 10:44am
Yeah I bought 6 books for the first year and then bailed out of it, the woman that called me was REALLY pushy too. I couldn't even really understand her
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 11:08am
just tell them straight that your not interested and to go away,

i havent ordered anything from them for ages as i find they are overpriced as well

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:26pm
I was with them, bought the 6bks and cancelled. Then got sucked back in again with the lure of no postage! Definately not as good a deal as you guys got! I have just bought my 6th book for this 1yr commitment and I think I am going to cancel again. I am finding I am struggling to buy books I want.
Lindsey

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 1:11pm
We had the music club one, it's such a waste of money, a complete rip-off. I made DH cancel his after he got his 6 CD's, yet they keep sending him special offers and mail etc so I'm just about to ring them and go bonkers at them (as only I do best).

I honestly would not waste your money on them. If you want cheap books, wait for sales or buy off TM.
 Post Reply Post Reply