FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcareer question for all the nurses...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: career question for all the nurses...
    Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:18am
Ok so im just needing nurses opinions on whether im following the right path or wasting my time...

So i was going to do a bachelor of midwifery next year but after getting some great advice from Janine i have decided to do a bachelor of nursing instead and because the course is full until next year i thought (with the advice from massey) that i would do 3 papers this year from a bach of science to be transfered (crosscredited) over to nursing when i start.....so heres the question..

IS IT GOING TO BE A BIT OF A WASTE OF TIME DOING THESE NOW?? SHOULD I JUST WAIT AND DO THEM AS PART OF MY 3 YEARS STUDY?? OR WILL IT MAKE A MARKED DIFFERENCE IN CHOPPING TIME OFF MY STUDY???

sorry for the boring question! lol...

TIA
Sponsored Links

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:35am
I think you may as well do it as part of the nursing training. A guy in my nursing class had a Bachelor of Science and even though he could cross-credit about 3 papers, all it did for him was give him some extra free time in the first year (which, by the course's standards, is probably the easiest out of all 3), so really he would just get 'free' periods because he wasn't required to attend any of the A&P classes. But if you want some free time up your sleeve in the first year, then you should go for it.

I had a BA in psychology but wasn't able to cross-credit any of my courses, but I don't think it would have made much difference anyway.

Congrats on making the decision!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:52am
Yay nusring rocks! Lol!
I guess you just do what is gonna fit in best with your life style really. I would take a bit of presure of for next year.

*Thread jack * - Does anyone know what u have to do to unskill if u havent done the required ammount of study and work hours in the past 3 years, to be able to obtain a practicing cert?

Edited by Kellz
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:54am
Good on ya. I'd like to do midwifery, but I wouldn't know where to start... doesn't help that I didn't finish high school. It's really confusing!

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:57am
I did my nursing quite young. I was still doing 7th form but did 3 of the nursing papers at the same time before leaving half way thru 7th form to start my degree full time.

I loved having more free time in my 1st year especially because I was new to the whole really having to work for things, and not being spoon fed it like at school.

I recommend you do the 3 papers if you feel like easing back into the study thing...

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:30pm
I started my nursing in the middle of what would have been 7th form too! I left school after 6th form tho, then worked in a resthome for 6 months before starting my degree in July!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:32pm
Thats classic. they don't allow you to do it that much anymore apparently.

So how old are you then, Kellz? If you don't mind me asking

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:34pm
Just read your question about upskilling. I am interested in that too as have been working as a techer for last 5 years and would like to make the switch back to nursing...fickle I am.

TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:15pm
where do you want to nurse when you finish? in new zealand they pay crap and always will.............i run an nursing agency and now we are going into nursing bureau ..........which is basically sending nurses all over the world to work ..........we emplyed both midwives and nurses and after being in the situatin with the birth of my boy at the hospital.......the midwives there where underskilled for my care ............something as simple as painmeds (to me it was simple) was really confusing to them ...ok way of subject ...wat im saying is when i employ someone i will look at work experience not just education...if that makes sence....study as well as work ...i know you do the work experience but do more.......the new grads coming out are pretty dam scary. Good luck we definatly need more nurses :)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:22pm
aye, what's this about new grads??! I really think it depends alot on where you trained, what placements you have had and what opportunities you gained through the placements.   Everyone when they first start out feels a little out of their depth because as a student you have to be subpervised giving meds, you can't even go near Iv's and at the end of the day you aren't fully accountable for the patient's care.. your buddy nurse is. So yep once you get out there, all new grads go through a period of adjustment.... not all of us are "dam scarey" i think it really depends on your work ethic and how much you've bothered to learn about A&P and all the other stuff.

Kellz you could probably contact nursing council to find out about upskilling etc, am sure they'd give you the guide-lines etc. The other thing you could do, is have a look out (cannot remember where you were previously working) but see if you can sign up for any study-days etc to boost the education hours.

Peanut in terms of returning to nursing after that amount of time off i think you might have to do a few papers or part of a "return to nursing" course, usually not too much, just updating clinical competencies etc through the uni or polytech - again nursing council is a really good point to start.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:26pm
oooh and Amber, it's completely up to you what you want to do, like others have said, sometimes it's nice to have a bit of heat taken off, since i did a little part time study after having paris i found it nice to have knocked some 3rd year papers out of the way so once i started 3rd year with newborn ayja i had a few more hours free each week.   but as i've said other times, sometimes, it's good to learn it all at the same time as everything else you are learning because you learn things together and nursing perspective gets brought into the learning too, whereas you won't get that in the science papers... also means that you don't get to 2nd year and think "darn it was so long ago i learnt that stuff.. what was it again?"

good luck
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:45pm
I think to upskill you have to go back to poly (or uni) and do the "Return to nursing" course. We get a lot of older nurses who have done it coming through, and bascially you have to re-do quite a bit of the theory, do a 10 week placement and then apply to nursing council. And its not cheap - about $2000 from what I understand...hence why I will never stop working for any length of time, couldn't be bothered with all that crap ! Or alternatively, you could just jump over the ditch and get a practicing cert there, work for a bit and then come back .

And I don't agree that grad nurses aren't any good...having come through the new system myself, and considering its the only option available, I think new grads do the best with what little skills they are taught at poly (or uni). I did my grad year in Oz and boy did I get chucked in the deep end - straight into IV's, CVC's, taking blood, ECG's etc. but man I learnt pretty quickly. I think the NZ system as a whole sucks but its what you have to do if you want to be a nurse...

Sorry for threadjacking, Amber! And BTW, nursing is great, but comes with loads of politics unfortunately.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:51pm
Oh and Kellz, I believe the requirements to get a prac cert are 450hrs clinical practice and 60hrs education over 3 years...

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:04pm
Hehe, Shellandbella, am not old, just fickle. Only worked as a nurse for a year then trained as a teacher as wanted to get into family planning, but then got way laid in teaching - so am only 27. Will ring the council or have a nose on a website.

Don't mind paying to upskill as boredom is starting to set in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:06pm
Oh I didn't mean you were old, but that is the demographic of the 'ladies' coming through at work . Sorry, didn't mean to offend !

TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:16pm
guys i didnt say they are no good im saying to practice and practice the ones that come out with no experience and im talking about work not the experience you have while studying ..........i would employ someone that has worked as a caregiver to gain experience over someone that has 'just' studied any day......im saying to gain more experience then they allow at tech or uni ...dont except that studying is enough.........speaking from experience as employer and a nurse
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 3:36pm
this is great ladies! thanks for your feedback

I guess i really shouldv just followed this path in the first place bcos it was a choice between this or architecture and i cant remember why but i went that way! so i got a nat. cert in science and technology then a bach of architecture (4 years study down the plop! ). I love learning things so am quite excited to start NOW! lol

Are you thinking of getting back into nursing Kelly?? what area did you work in again?? (my stink baby brain!lol).

I get what ya mean Tysmummy, im sure alot of employers tend to employ the experieced over the new which in a way is a bit of a bummer for the new but does make sense.

My plan is to eventually study towards a bach of midwifery down the track (around 5 years) bcos right now - doing independant MW wouldnt suit my young family and as Janine pointed out to me - I will be much better off with nursing under my belt when i go into midwifery

aaawww im so excited!!!!.....what a GEEK! i am! lol
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by TysMummy TysMummy wrote:

where do you want to nurse when you finish?

Well i REALLY REALLY REALLY lol want to work in the neonatal unit (for obvious reasons....midwifery) so if im able to i will go whereever i can get in that isnt more than an hours travel of course!

Im not sure if there is a neonatal unit in whakatane which would be my prefered choice...do you know if there is Kellz??? (seen as you worked there!)
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 3:48pm
Did you enjoy working as a nurse in Oz Shell? is it much different to here?? what area do you work in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 4:06pm
I loved working in Oz, Amber. Working conditions and wages were far superior and nurses had more responsibilities over there (limited prescribing rights, input to change, etc. and I loved how they had legal nurse/patient ratios.

I work in operating theatre...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>