FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOur attitude is killing our kids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our attitude is killing our kids
    Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:20am
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:46am
off to mollycoddle a bit more
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 12:04pm
A couple of months ago we were being told we protected out kids too much and were raising a bunch of nancies, now we're not doing enough....who can win?
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Redbedrock Redbedrock wrote:

A couple of months ago we were being told we protected out kids too much and were raising a bunch of nancies, now we're not doing enough....who can win?

Agreed!

I allow Joshua to explore and climb and do all those kind of things because I think he needs to. If he falls down and scrapes his knee I think that is a good thing. Not good cos he's hurt himself, but good cos he learns cause and effect.

I would never let him attempt things that are way beyond his physical capabilites but within reason I encourage him to be adventurous.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:41pm

I do agree to a certain extent.  I think it is good for children to learn by making mistakes.  Michaela spends much of summer with a stubbed toe or grazed knee (then again after she got cellulitis which spread frighteningly fast I now always put savalon on cuts).

I think the article may also be aimed more towards other riskier things.  I hate to single out anyone but there is a thread in a different part of this forum atm from a mother asking why she can't just put her 6mo forward facing (obviously this mother is asking for and listening to advice which is great but how many others have just decided to switch their kids to forward facing when they're too little therefore putting them at higher risk of a fatal injury if they're in an accident).  Also the number of drownings and children who are runover in their own driveways in NZ every year is shocking.  Then there's the parents who drive drunk with kids in their cars, or leave their young children unsupervised for extended periods of time.

For me personally I don't think we'll do anything different, I think we have found a nice balance of safety and independence.

ETA:  Just read the article again and they're saying 90% of accidents are unintentional injuries such as road traffic injuries, drowning, burns, falls and poisoning.

Edited by MrsMojo
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:46pm

One last thing:

Based on Safekids New Zealand’s Unintentional Childhood Injury fact sheets, on average, 22 children a year are killed as car occupants, and 15 children drown every year. 

Safekids New Zealand fact sheet also show that Falls are the leading cause for hospitalisations, with 4,854 children in New Zealand injured severely enough to be hospitalized annually, or an average of 405 hospital admissions each month.

Safekids New Zealand data also shows that over 9,800 children in New Zealand are hospitalized annually with an unintentional injury. “This is equivalent to an average size classroom of children injured severely enough to be hospitalized every day,” said Ms. Weaver.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:48pm
I'm just saying the experts are giving such opposing advice, when I think most people know the balance they are comfortable with.
I never take risks with Fay but am not opposed to her learning life's little lesson (as you witnessed at her memorable morning in McDs a couple of months ago, Jo)
Kids need to learn to take risks and which risks to take, but adults should know better and reduce the obvious dangers
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:54pm

I never take risks with Fay but am not opposed to her learning life's little lesson (as you witnessed at her memorable morning in McDs a couple of months ago, Jo)
Kids need to learn to take risks and which risks to take, but adults should know better and reduce the obvious dangers

Yep, I'm exactly the same with Michaela and I get what you mean about the experts giving contradicting advice.  Don't they say if you look hard enough and you can find a study to back up anything you want to believe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 2:11pm
You can prove anything with statistics!!!
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 4:25pm
It guess it all just comes down to comman sense. I'm sure the people they are refering to just don't have any.

I've been into extreme sports for years and grew up a total tomboy so I have a pretty laid back attitude when it comes to kids taking 'CERTAIN' risks. But I'm not without comman sense kids are pretty fragile and need to be watched CONSTANTLY :) Hey we all love our babies and don't want to see them hurt.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:57pm
Yeah 64% of statistics are actually made up on the spot
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Post Reply Post Reply