FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew Kiwi!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Kiwi!
    Posted: 19 March 2009 at 9:03am

Paul Henry has just said that someone has given birth to a baby (funnily enough) on an inbound international flight. Babys born in international airspace 'belong' to the destination country.

Just thought I'd share that :)

http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links

Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:37pm
Wonder if he was talking about this baby that was left behind on the flight??? Baby left on plane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 4:25pm
Yeah I read that later. Poor we sod. Sounds like mum and baby are doing well now
xox6Girls1Boyxox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xox6Girls1Boyxox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 6:17am
She left the baby in the rubbish bin....Poor wee bubba, I feel for the mother a little bit also....
RunningT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 12:43pm
This was a terrible story. I can't believe she gave birth on the plane and no one noticed. I wonder if she actually gave birth at the airport... story was a little confused to start with ie the baby was in the airplane toilet bin then the airport toilet rubbish bin.

A little off topic but contry to general belief being born in NZ doesn't always make you a kiwi. Unless 'mum' (and I use that term loosely in this case) or Dad were NZ citizens or entitled to be in NZ indefinitely the baby isn't a kiwi due to law changes on 01.01.2006.

From the DIA website:

You may already be a New Zealand citizen if you were:
Born in New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, or the Ross Dependency) prior to 1 January 2006.
Born in New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, or the Ross Dependency) from 1 January 2006 AND at least one of your parents was a New Zealand citizen or entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely at the time of your birth. (For further information see the Changes to Citizenship by Birth in New Zealand from 2006 Frequently Asked Questions).
Legally adopted by a New Zealand citizen parent (if you were adopted overseas we need to check that their adoption laws are similar to ours).
A British subject resident in New Zealand during all of 1948.
Granted New Zealand citizenship.
Born overseas to a New Zealand citizen parent.

Poor little bubba make my blood BOIL
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 2:03pm
I read in the paper yesterday that she gave birth while everyone was getting off the plane and that criminal charges are likely. I just hope the mother gets the help she needs and the baby ends up with someone who will love and care for it like it deserves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 8:09pm
Agreed Rachandjack. What reason is there behind someone doing something like that? She, contrary to popular belief, is no doubt emotionally struggling atm as well.

If a baby is born in international airspace, it is a citizen of the destination country :)
RunningT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:16pm
Place of birth = New Zealand.
Citizenship does not necessarily = New Zealand

xox6Girls1Boyxox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xox6Girls1Boyxox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:15am
RunningT is right, The child wont get NZ Citizenship until it's established what is going to happen to bubba.... Sad Story though.... I really feel for that baby...
 Post Reply Post Reply