FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYounger children in upstairs bedrooms!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Younger children in upstairs bedrooms!
    Posted: 22 November 2011 at 6:09pm
Firstly I'm back! Hi! Used to be addicted to these forums, but then I went back to work and got super busy. Rediscovering my online life on a sick day

What I want to know, is have any of you got under 5's in upstairs bedrooms, and does it make life difficult? We're planning on building a two story home where the childrens rooms will be upstairs. I'm just wondering if I really need to rethink that.

TIA
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 6:25pm
Couldn't think why that would be a prob. Unless you're in CHCH and worried about getting to them during an earthquake. My sister had both her kids upstairs and there was no issues at all.

Welcome back by the way!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:27pm
We have our DS in a bedroom upstairs. The only problem is he doesn't ever go up there except to sleep. It means we have to have most of his toys downstairs to play with. He just doesn't ever think to go upstairs to his room to play. I prefer to keep an eye on him anyway and find Im downstairs most of the day. If I had a dedicated playroom downstairs it wouldn't be so bad.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 11:05am
If I was designing a house with upstairs bedrooms I'd want an upstairs bathroom as well.
It seems to be a common trend with new two storey homes don't see it as an issue.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 12:28pm
My grandparents home was everything upstairs (lounge, kitchen) and bedrooms downstairs - t make the most of views etc. Our house has one bedroom downstairs and the rest upstairs and there is no issue at all.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 5:00pm
We're in a 3 storey place and have the kids in bedrooms on different floors to us. I find it a bit of a pain TBH but only because DS2 occasionally still wakes in the night (eg the weekend when he spewed 4 times between midnight and 4am!).

Our two boys were 2.5yrs and 9 months when we moved in here. We ended up putting a baby gate on DS1's door as it opens directly onto the landing and he was coming downstairs for visits in his sleeping bag He's not ready to sleep without the bag so we installed the gate!

As for toys etc, we have a separate playroom (also upstairs) so the boys only have books in their rooms. We spend a lot of time downstairs in the living room too so have baskets of toys in there that can be put away so it doesn't look like a junkyard when the kids are in bed
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 9:09pm
We have our girls aged almost 2 and 4 in bedrooms upstairs, and ours is downstairs at the other end of the house. We have a monitor in Miss almost-2s room as she is still in a cot so can't come downstairs if she needs anything and we can't hear her from our bedroom. The almost 4 year old doesn't have a problem with coming downstairs if she needs anything. We have a bathroom and spare bedroom/playroom/lounge upstairs too with a spare bed as I was anticipating having to sleep upstairs on bad nights but have never had to do this. If you are building and there is any chance of adding an additional room upstairs for this purpose then do so!

While perhaps not ideal with young children if you're getting up and down several times a night, it's going to be great when they are older and teenagers as the second floor will be all theirs and DH and I can have downstairs in peace!
Two little girls under 2!

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 6:45pm
We have a 2 story house and we moved in when DD1 was 18 months and 3 months before DD2 was born. Our room is upstairs and DD1 has always been down stairs. DD2 was upstairs in the littlest of the bedrooms until about 2 months ago. she has now gone downstairs to the bigger room next to her big sister.

It has never been an issue to have never found it an issue, we have a night light plugged in halfway down the stairs and had a baby monitor so I could hear DD2 if she was in her room and I was down stairs.

Having a bathroom upstairs is a good thing and if you can stretch to a playroom downstairs that would be wonderful (I wish we has a second living area to hand over to the kids some days )

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2011 at 8:33pm
TBH I've found it a pain with very young children. We've got our baby (7mths) and 4 yr old up stairs and our bdroom is downstairs. The 4yr old is fine now, but when she was younger she was always coming down the stairs in the night to find us. I have no idea how she managed to never fall down the stairs .

With our baby, I slept her downstairs for the first 4 months and then I ended up sleeping upstairs on the landing outside her room up until a month ago when she finally started sleeping through the night. It was just too much of a hassle going up and down the stairs all night and if i left her too long, she'd wake her sister. We keep a monitor in her room now, as we can't hear her from our room.

I'd recommend all bedrooms on one level or adults upstairs and kids downstairs, but that's just my opinion

Post Reply Post Reply