FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow did you choose your career?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you choose your career?
    Posted: 18 August 2010 at 5:32pm
This is something I've been thinking about lately. If this baby is cruisey I'm gonna start studying again next year, if not it will be 2012.

DH chose his career based on his interest but its not ultimately what he wanted to do with his life. But he can't do what his dream is because of his eyesight (pilot).

I don't wanna start studying just to change my mind as I have already done this once. I jumped into uni straight ouf of high school and figured out 2 years into a 5 year degree that it wasn't something I wanted to do with my life.

I did 2 papers towards a teaching degree to prove that I was all good to study, as it had been a while, since I've had Daniel and got good marks.
Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:08pm
I finished college a couple of years ago and was dead set I would go down the Architecture route however I didn't want to spend 5k to discover I couldn't take the work load etc so I did a uni prep course where I sampled a few papers and thought maybe psyc or nursing then got UTD so now it's a toss up between nursing or midwifery!

I think it's the career services website, they have a survey you can do and based on your answers it tells you what careers might be suitable. Other wise do something you enjoy.

Do you want a career for the money or something you enjoy?

(ETA: I studied the right subjects at school to do architecture and really enjoyed it, except I tend to procrastinate which equaled many late nights although I got fab marks! I often joke that the sleepless nights prepared me for motherhood!)

Edited by Lil_Nic9
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:12pm
Its the job I got when I left school been doing it ever since. Have thought of changing a couple of times but always end up back in the same line of work cause I'm good at it.

When it comes down to it the main reason for me to go to work is to earn money, if I didn't need the money I wouldn't work.

My passions are outside of work, I think if I did them for a living I wouldn't enjoy them as much.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:13pm
Those surveys always come up with medical type stuff, psych and teaching. Theres no way I wanna be a nurse or mw.

For me I wanna enjoy it. I don't want to get into a career just for the money and spend the majority of my day hating what i'm doing
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:20pm
Yeah that's a deciding factor for me to I want to enjoy my job not hate it and only do it for the money. I really liked nursing but after having a baby I think being a midwife could be more ideal but I am still at a loss as to which I would prefer...

I always get psyc and teaching too and while I don't mind doing psyc, I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. Teaching was on my list too but Vic changed their teaching degrees so I crossed it off my list.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:20pm
What skills and experience do you currently have?

I've used my skills to work in different industries which has helped work out what I like and what I don't like.

There is a lot more to medical, psych and teaching than nursing or mw though.

Either talk to a careers advisor at one of the Uni's or polytechs. Or if healthcare is of interest then someone who works in the industry.

Other thing I looked at were the job vacancies and what type of jobs were out there that interested me and what was involved to work in them.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:22pm
I started out studying psychology, then did an accounting paper (loved it) simply cause my friend was repeating her paper. Then managed to do part of a management diploma before I though how the hell did I end up here & went and worked a while, ended up in an office & then went back and cross credited my papers & started an accounting degree.

Sooooo I'm going to do my last couple of papers & then do a vet nursing course cause I love animals & then hopefully get a job doing both office & vet nursing work.

Should have just done the papers I wanted at school & gone where my heart has been the whole time!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:41pm
At uni I went for the papers that I loved at school. I am close to getting an accounting and a science degree so could go down either career path.

The other option you could consider is just doing the one year graduate diploma in education after doing a degree in something you love.
fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 7:01pm
threadjack for a minute sorry. Lil-Nic, I am a nurse and I wouldnt recommend it with children. Once you've completed the degree you need to complete a new grad program and thats very hard to do with childcare as you have to do a certain amount of hours and will have to work rostered and rotating shifts. Nursing is not family friendly in my experience (and the people I have worked with) especially when you are first starting out.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 7:59pm
Melissa thanks, yeah I had discussed that about nursing, unfortunately Massey which is the only place in Wellington which offered Midwifery recently cut the degree permanently which left nursing unless I look back into the psyc degree. Architecture would be a nightmare to do now with a family!

Atm we're not in a position to relocate to another part of the country, and midwifery would also be pretty demanding too... But we'll see in a couple of years time!
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:26pm
pre baby has been hospitality. I love it, breath it, live it. Now well aside from being a mum I am studying extramurally for a bachelor in communications thinking about editor or function coordinator or something. I've done functions and loved them especially when they aren't stuck up and stiff, the end of a dinner when its dance time is always fun. Oh and school balls stalking the kids and going into the boys toilets when you smell smoke haha thats always a laugh

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:50pm
Always been into science, originally wanted to be a vet. Did Bursary Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics and English. Got to the intermediate semester of vet and found out that Massey Uni just wasn't for me, didn't bother applying for vet and switched uni's, did a BSc in Animal Science instead. First job in an office (vaguely related to science) I hated but second job working as a lab technician in a genetics laboratory - LOVED it. Would go back in a heartbeat except that we have moved locations. Have always known since I was little though - that I would do something science-y. I was the kid that got microscopes and chemistry sets for Christmas and birthday presents. Lol. Have thought about going back to see if I could try vet but not sure I have the commitment it takes.

Edited by Delli

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:50pm
I did those online surveys and it always came up as something in the health field. I always wanted to do a degree that gave me a career at the end of it, rather than a generic degree that wouldnt help me get a job and was a waste of time - no offense anyone! So I studied Occupational Therapy and love it heaps of different options, decent $$ and very supportive employer (DHB) which returning to work with a baby, continuing to breastfeed etc.

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:56pm
I know this makes me sound like a real nerd but I always enjoyed working with numbers at school, and english was my best subject. I wanted a job where I would be able to work with numbers, write reports etc (use my writing skills) and earn a reasonable amount of money. I have quite an analytical personality so I did the first year of a business degree through Massey which was basically a broad range of business papers, and then picked the one I liked the most. Hence now after 7 years of study and work experience,and a lot of hard work I am a chartered accountant.

ETA to fix spelling.

Edited by Shelt
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 8:59pm
I wanted to leave school, and I knew I was good with computers. I enrolled with a course, did a degree, and started a career in I.T
TBH now I wish I was doing something more in the field of research, or law....

monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 9:00pm
i started a nursing degree and changed part way (after working in a hospital) to a sport and exercise degree. i worked as a personalt trainer for a few years and ended up hating it. i went back to uni when i got pg and am now doing bio-medical science and absolutely love it. i dont care bout the good money at the end. i find that once i find the answer to something or learn as much as i can about it i get bored which i why i finally worked out id be a great research scientist :)

M2K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 9:16pm
I was a receptionist straight out of school and I hated it, well most of it, Hated that dreaded feeling of not wanting to go to work. So decided to study graphic design in my early 20's and was lucky to get a scholarship for it, still do a few jobs here and there but nothing that brings in the big doh (dammit) but I enjoyed my job and I still wouldn't mind going back to study & upskill sometime in the near future..

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 10:27pm
Originally I got into the Travel Industry because I loved travel. The perks were great but money bad and I loved Science at school but couldn't think of a job I wanted to do in the physical sciences so I did a social science degree. I got hooked on the psychology so did a bachelor then masters degree. Originally I appled for workplace psychologist jobs but there weren't many around so I got work in HR and haven't looked back. Interesting work and good money.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 9:18am

I ahve a long term goal and that is Midwifery, only because I can't choose to do woman's health nursing other wise I would do that.

Its not just becuase I have had children I want to help people go through something I have been through and an understanding with woman when they feel something isn't right I want to get it checked because it is better to get it checked then something bad to happen.

What I am currently doing I enjoy (administration), I think I enjoy it because I am in charge of my own things here.

When I was at school I was looking at HR/Accounting (I love people and numbers), but didn't continue it to get a degree. I do a lot of number work with my job thou.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 10:34am

Half the careers around today didn't exist when I finished school in 1990. I've gained most of my skills on the job and have an apptitude for systems and processes, I like to be organised and organise others. I want to utilitse the skills I've developed over the years in IT, marketing, office admin and property when I go back to work.

I've decided to shelve my studies for the moment with a newborn on the way, I won't be able to commit enough time or $$ to make them worthwhile.

I've also discovered over the years, that self-employment isn't for me. I prefer to do my job, go home at the end of the day and collect my wages/salary each ft night etc.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>