FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen did you first give them fast food?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did you first give them fast food?
    Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:36pm
On our way back from Kinloch today, we stopped at Mickey D's and I caved and gave Em a chicken nugget. She LOVED it. DH, of course, pitched a fit about how we shouldn't give her fast food because it's so unhealthy, full of fat, salt and preservatives, etc. So what about the rest of you? When did you first give your pure and precious baby a taste of fast food? How often do you let them have it now?
Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:45pm
I think Jake was a bit olde before he had Mickey D, but he had had chips and stuff VEEERy occasionally before then, around the age your wee girl is. He has a happy meal very occasionally if we are having Maccas, and he is up. I used to get him the milk, but they don't do it anymore so get him water, which he loves (well, I think it is the bottle he likes). He just eats the chips, mainly and will have a nugget if coerced. Personally, I think everything in moderation.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:46pm
And, I think this is another thing parents tell "fibs" about to make themselves look good in the competetive mothering stakes, lol!!

Edited to add also, I think we tell "fibs" as people can make you feel really bad about giving your kids "crap". I had a lady say something to me in the supermaket the other day for buying Blues clues dairy food yoghurt for Jake, that I should have been buying fruit yoghurt. I "nicely" pointed out that the blues clues had waaaaaaay less sugar than all the other dairy food, and fruit yoghurt (non diet) and that it wasn't her concern anyhow.

Edited by fattartsrock
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 10:03pm
I can't remember when Andrew first had fastfood but he has it now (McD's in moderation) and has no problems with it. I used to work at McD's and would see the same people in every weekend getting their kids both lunch and dinner on the same day. I see nothing wrong with having it every now and then as a treat but not as an everyday food, like they are trying to do with all the new healthy choice stuff. I grew up with McD's as a treat and so will my kids.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 10:57pm
i remember gabriel at 9 mths old having a mcd's chip, after i had sucked all the salt off...

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 8:10am
Okay seems I am a bad mom then. McKayla got to eat chips before a year of age. Had nuggets ect already. She gets it when we eat it. So forces us to eat healthy as well.

I rather let her get a taste for it and to work it into a normal diet than for her never to have it and when she grows older to gorge herself on it.

Nothing wrong with fast food if you work it into a good diet. So teaching her that all food can be eaten but some just occasionally.

ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 9:08am
mikey has had the chips with all the salt sucked off occasionally since about 11 months or so, he has also had the lettuce out of a big mac (minus the mayo) and a little piece of the meat pattie which he didn't like. he has also had subway which he loves....oh goodness i sound like such a bad mummy!

Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 9:21am
we went to Oz in Nov when DD was 17months and she lived on McD's and KFC for most of the time there....she loved it! Mind you I have to admit, so did I, it took me ages to get over the addiction of wanting McD's everyday.
We had McD's for lunch last week for the first time since and yummy it, it was nice, shame it is so bad for you!
Everything in moderation I say, yes it's bad for them, but as long as they are not living on the stuff it isn't going to kill them

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 9:31am

It just occurred to me that when I was pregnant with Em, I would eat one of those McD's deli roll sandwiches every single day for lunch until I hit about 5 months, after which I went off McD's and got obsessed with fruit. So it may just be in her genes to loooooove fast food (her mama sure loves it!).

I agree with the "everything in moderation" camp but I also don't think we should beat ourselves up if we have a busy week and end up giving them crap for dinner more than a few times. I'm glad I'm not in the minority, though, in giving my one-year-old fast food -- now I can go back to DH and tell him that I'm not the only one!

(Mmmmmmm, chicken nuggets...) 

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 9:32am
Zaara too had an occational chip from wendy's (they dont put salt on their chips, and we hardly ever eat out in places like these).

after her birst birthday we did go to beaches and to wellington and yes she had Burger king nuggets and once McD nuggets (we she hated!!).

Like I said we dont eat out at burger joints much so she only ever has the occational taste of it.

I dont see any harm on giving them Junk food occationally. But I wouldnt make it a daily habbit!! But I am sure you wont do that Kat!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:27am
we don't eat at Mcds, mainl;y cause the only reason we would go is the playground - and the one here in gisborne is a shell - and completely inappropriate and crap! Jake had his first "experience" courtesy of my dad. Lewis and I had decided "our child will never eat fast food" - of course this sanctimonious crap was before we actually had him and now I really believe that as long as that stuff is a 'sometimes" food rather than "everyday" - what the hey! We don"t eat a lot of processed food, but that is mainly because i'm at home, we are on a tight budget and I enjoy cooking.

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:44am
I'm sure Ella was given a taste of MacDee's before she was a year old!
Her Daddy is chronic for 'a little bit won't hurt her' and in general I agree.
We don't eat junk that often but, like Shirena, when we have it she'll share with us.

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 1:22pm
I think Hannah first had McDs not long before her birthday. If we go out now and I don't have any food, I feel it is safest for her to have chips/fries than anything else (allergy wise). She has had mcdonalds maybe 3 times - mainly if we go away on holiday. We do have fish and chips every few weeks and she gobbles that up, but like everyone else has said its not everyday and we shouldn't feel bad about it.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 2:20pm
Bay started having McDs at almost 2 yrs old. Not that we were doing it on purpose but thats how it worked out.
And now he has it maybe every 2 months when we are out and in a rush (and i need my McDs rush! lol) he doesnt eat the majority of it anyway! hes more interested in the toy!!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 5:59pm
Maya was about 9 mths old - believe it or not her dietitian told me it wouldn't do her any harm coz she "needed the extra fat" - she was in Starship and they still had a McD's in the hospital at that stage. I always asked them for chips without salt tho.

Now she has a Happy Meal with juice. Hard to say how often coz some weeks it seems she ends up having it 3 times in one week and yet other times it will be 2-3 months with no McD's. She prefers sushi which is a bit strange for a kid I think but I encourage it!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 3:03pm
umm lol i wont tell fibs - probably about 6-8mnths shhh i didnt say that. Mushed up chips & fish lol
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 3:14pm
Ethan had mcD's from about 9 mnths. We had just arrived in Australia, it was late (plane delays etc) and we had a hour car trip ahead of us... He know now that it is only a treat food. We also do "home takeaways"!! like Subway (nice yummy homemade roll), McD's (nuggets and chippies from oven) And Fish and Chips (Again from the oven).

I figure that Takeaways are OK in moderation.

He just burns it all off anyways!!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:05am
haleigh had the odd chip at 10months then when she was 13months we started giving her some hamburger or chicken nuggets. so long as its a treat and not an everyday thing then it fine.
haleigh prefers my homemade burgers and chips and fish to the stuff from takeaway shops anyway which is good.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 2:34pm
Ummm... first time was probably about 10mths or so - chips without salt (either sucked off or requested as saltless). They started having it when we do from about the same age - which was when they stopped having pre-made baby foods. We don't have takeaways that often, and usually we get 2 or 3 "meals" and split them between the lot of us! Kids meals of all sorts are a real treat to our children.

Edited by daikini
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 3:46pm
Yeah Ella's never had her own meal, we're too cheap and just share ours, lol poor girl!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>