FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPost your favourite soup recipe here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post your favourite soup recipe here!
    Posted: 18 May 2008 at 3:32pm
So with winter coming on, the traditional Kiwi family puts a pot of soup on to boil at least once a week for some hearty, homemade soup... but not all of us are so gifted! I only know how to make one soup, so I'll start off with that and you can intrigue me with your own recipes!

1 bacon hock/pork chop/etc
2 potatoes
2 carrots
1 kumara
tonnes of water
1 onion
1T chicken stock
salt to taste

boil the chop in plenty of water for about 4 hours. When about 1 1/2 hours before meal time, add in the other ingredients. Keep topping up the water and stirring every 30 mins approx, letting it reduce to your preferred thickness at the end. (sorry, not too specific)
Sponsored Links

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 3:46pm
I'm a bit of a soup maniac. I will post my favourite one, but it's not exactly kid friendly, but great for freezing and pulling out when you just don't feel like another night of chicken nuggets and chips.

CURRY LENTIL SOUP

1 cup brown lentils
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder
8 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 stalks of celery (optional)
salt and pepper

Wash lentils and cover with cold water to soak.

Peel onions and chop finely. Crush and peel garlic.

Heat oil in large saucepan and saute onion and garlic on low for 5 minutes. Add chilli powder and curry powder. Cook for 30 seconds. Add vegetable stock and tomato paste.

Drain lentils and add to pan. Bring to the boil.

Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Use blender to puree when cool. Wash and slice celery finely and stir through.

Serve with your favourite crusty chunky bread.

YUM!!!!!!

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 3:53pm
Ok, I found my Mum's Pumpkin soup which is great for the kiddies.

MUM'S PUMPKIN SOUP

1 pumpkin (or a mix of pumpkin, carrots, parsnip or kumara).
2 large carrots
6-8 large cloves of garlic
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of curry powder (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil (or whatever you've got on hand)
6 cups water (or stock if pref.)

Dice vegetables.

Finely chop onions and garlic and simmer lightly in oil until soft in a large saucepan / pot.

Add pinch cayenne pepper and two teaspoons of curry powder (optional - but yum).

Add pumpkin and carrots. Stir in well for 5 minutes. Add liquid (water or stock). Simmer until soft. Puree in blender.

Serve!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:00pm
carrot soup

now i don't do quantities, make your own

Hunk of butter - add some chopped onion, and garlic. when soft add chopped carrots and put lid on. stir on a low heat til they're softish and then add schicken stock. when caroots are mushy, put through the whiz until smooth. Now add some cream and about 2T of chopped thyme. don't boil, but heat gently and serve.

my kids LOVE this soup
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:50pm
I'm not a quantity person either

Veg Soup:

- potatoes and random veg & water in a pot in the oven at 100deg for a couple of hours. No need for stock as cooking it for so long brings out the flavour of the veg.

I'm going to try this in the slow cooker this week sometime too.

Potato & Leek Soup:
- use about 1 leek for 3 potatoes.
- slice leeks and dice potatoes.
- boil in veg stock until cooked.

mmmm yummy!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:54pm
Mmmm soup! I never think about making soup! Now I am inspired!
I pumpkin soup, but I hate cutting raw pumpkin...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 8:00pm
Emma when I was a teen I loved pumpkin but the first slice was always the hardest. I gave it to my younger bro, he was always keen to prove how manly he was, and instead of getting the knife through it he took it out back and chopped it with an axe!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:04pm
chop in half and put in the oven - you can then have "roasted pumpkin soup" - same taste, fancy new name.
kobec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kobec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 9:56pm
Hey maya i hate the task of cutting up pumpkin for soup as well but a friend gave me a very handy hint. Cut the pumpkin into big chunks and put in a microwave safe bowl (with the skin left on) with lid and cook for 10 minutes then scrape our of skin. Very easy and makes making soup heaps easier and alot less stressful.......
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:03pm
I second that, Kobec! That's the best way to do pumpkin.

Alrighty, another kid friendly soup.

SPLIT PEA AND HAM

2 and 1/2 cups green split peas
4 rindless bacon rashers
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 celery stick, sliced
10 and 1/2 cups cold water
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 large potato, roughly diced
1 bacon hock
freshly ground black pepper

Put the split peas into a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight.

Cut the bacon into small pieces. In a large saucepan dry fry the bacon for 4-5 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.

Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery to the fat in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is softened but not brown. Return the bacon to the pan with the water.

Drain the split peas and add to the pan with the thyme, bay leaves, potato and bacon hock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 1 hour.

Remove the thyme, bay leaves and hock. Process the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to a clean pan. Cut the meat from the hock, add to the soup and heat through gently. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Ladle into warm soup bowls and serve.

Serves 4.

JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 9:39pm
Scuse my ignorance    but is a bacon hock and bacon bones the same thing?
i am really keen to make some yummy soups, but Im not sure what to ask/look for
If they aren't the same, then which one is better?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 9:50pm
JD they are different but you can use either for soup.

my fave soup is bacon hock in the crockpot but i just throw it all in together

bacon hock
kings soup mix
potatoes
carrots
kumara
onion - dont need to dice just quarter
seasoned with pepper and worcester sauce

and it always seem to taste better the next day.

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:02am
You can't go wrong with a Kings soup. We always go for country chicken. Yummo!

Bacon hock works well. Really cheap.

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 3:21pm
Bizzy, I may try your soup recipe tomorrow :)

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 10:47am
that time of year is coming again!!!

jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 3:59pm
I made a batch of leek & potato soup last week so i have some easy lunches for me in the freezer *yummy*

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2011 at 7:11pm

Roasted vege soup is a favourite here:

Roast kumara, carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, onion and red pepper.  Blend with chicken stock until you get the consistency you want.  Delicious with a dollop of sour cream on the top to serve.

Bizzy I'm going to try your bacon hock one next I think.  I've tended to stick to vege soups until now so will be nice to try something different.

ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:29am
Mmmmmm yum, I'm going to try that roast vege soup tonight, maybe with homemade focaccia.

Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:18pm

I started a chicken soup yesterday and we'll have that for tea tonight. Boil up 1 plus chicken carcasses (I got 3 from the supermarket for $2.11 last week) with a diced onion. After about an hour or so, turn off andremove the carcasses. When a bit cooler, pull chicken off the bones and put into the stock. If not having that night, can put in the fridge so can skim off any fat. Add grated carrot and lots of corn, some sage and some noodles. If you want to extend it a bit just add water and some dried chicken stock.Lastly, add whatever else you want - gotta love soup recipes! lol  I usually make this really thick with lots of noodles. YUM!

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 4:42pm

Pumpkin soup in the crockpot - peel and  cut into small pieces, stick in crockpot with 200ml of chicken stock and one onion. Cook for several hours. Add one sml tin of coconut cream / milk then blitz with hand blender and season. Its so simple but so yummy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>