FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedXmas & presents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xmas & presents
    Posted: 29 October 2011 at 11:27am
So I am a toy addict & have been since DS1, back then it was easier as I could buy what I wanted for him & only had 1 child to buy for but now with 3 & they all want what ever is out now it is just imposable.

I was cleaning out DS1 room the other day & found an Xmas present we bought him, a remote controlled helicopter still in the box as we had just out of batteries on Xmas day cost about $80, so DH put batteries in it & had a go & DS1 has played with it once since then...what a waste of money.

This yr I went & did a big lay-buy for around $700 of lego & other stuff I thought they would like, but since then they have shown no interest in it when seen things advertised. I look around their toys & see so many that are not played with or played with properly & the amount of $ we have spent on lego sets for it to end up in the "thousand $ lego blocks box" is quite sickening...well maybe I am just getting fed up with spending so much $ on toys...finally...

So now I am rethinking Xmas & what they will get & what I am having the most problem with is how many presents they will get each. There is a couple of things I want to get for them to share..but I have to keep asking myself am I wanting it for them or because I like it...

What are you doing for xmas presents this yr? Do you have a $ limit or maybe a limit of how many per child? Are they practical or stuff that is in now?

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 12:25pm
$700 on lego would give me a heart attack!

We have a $ limit. $100 each.. that's for me and Dh and for the boys.

We try and get outdoorsy kinda things. They don't need indoor toys.. like you said they get forgotten about and not used. Like Alex was given books by us for his birthday rather than plastic stuff.

This year our ideas for the boys is that we need a new paddling pool for them so thats one. Daniel loves taking photos so I'm gonna get him a cheapo 2nd hand camera on trademe that has a rechargable battery so he doesn't send us broke on batteries and being 2nd hand we wont care if he drops it. Both of them need togs so will do that for them. That's as far as I've got so far with ideas for them.

Their stocking will have some yummy goodies and a couple of random $2 shop items.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 12:50pm
We don't have a present limit or budget (yet, we will have to when they get older) but after last year when DS was utterly spoiled by us and then his grandparents, it was a bit OTT and his birthday is mid-January so he was spoiled again a few weeks later.

This year we decided on outdoors and wooden toys only. The cheaper plastic type toys were forgotten about and he has so many of them already.

We are getting a swing set and DD is getting a separate baby swing to go along with it. An outdoor sports set and then some indoor wooden toys for them both along with some bits and pieces for their stockings like crayons and a couple of treats.

I love Christmas and can get a bit carried away, but it gets so expensive and I imagine as they get older it will only get harder.

Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 1:19pm
DS will just be getting one xmas present this year. We're going for practical so he'll get a small wooden table and chairs set. I figure that the rest of the family will go nuts buying him stuff (I know he is getting a swing from mum and dad and a paddling pool from sil) so we might as well just buy him one good present that will go the distance.

When I was little we always got three presents. One "good" present (more expensive and something we wanted) plus two other presents of less cost - they were often practical, new clothes, smellies etc.
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 1:30pm

We don't have the price limit...but this year have decided to get the kids 1 big shared present (outdoor trampoline so quite pricey but I know they will get lots of use out of it and it will last for ages) and then they will get 1 smaller toy from us (probably a car/truck for Tom and Ella is asking for some more polly pocket stuff so probably something like that- again they both play with those sort of toys all the time so don't mind adding to their collection).

They also both get a new outfit to wear on Christmas day (given on xmas eve).

For their santa stockings they get a couple of books each, a couple of smaller toys (matchbox cars, art stuff, dress up costume, hair ties & girly stuff for Ella) and some more clothing (which I would have got them for summer anyway but will wrap up and put in their stockings- Ella loves clothes so I know that she will like this).  I try and keep them both balanced but Tom still doesn't really care if he gets less presents than Ella- as long as he gets stuff with wheels he is happy boy.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

$700 on lego would give me a heart attack!

lol, nope not all on lego, I'm not that bad ha ha, but I did get sets that were like $100-$150 each which is because DS1 is into star wars but never plays with his lego any more it sits there displayed or DS2&3 destroy it when not guarded. Other things I got was board games but then my kids don't do them so should not waste money on them to sit on the shelf with the rest.

DS2 has a b'day 2 weeks before xmas (he was due after xmas so missed the sales, lol) & DS1 B'day is Feb (was meant to be end of Jan).

What I struggle with is now they are getting older I need to change the way we do things as DS1 is now 10 going on 11, DS2 will be 7 & DS is 5
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 3:33pm
This year we are getting a tramp for our kids, providing I can get one cheap enough. We had one but had to return it & the kids love it so need to replace it, good timing to coincide it with xmas.

Other than that, they'll probably get clothes & something small.

Christmas to me is about getting together with family & having a nice day not about all the presents. I hate how everything is so materialistic now days!

I'd be lucky if I spent $700 this year on ALL the family not just my kids. I plan to make things for everyone else ie cookies, jams etc cause they are super cheap & super easy.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 6:29pm
We're buying a slide, fishing rods (unless my MIL agrees to get them instead of the normal plastic toys - FX!), and bikes coz DS1 has outgrown his and DS2 is getting right into riding stuff. We're also making them a little kitchen with felt food.
The boys also get stockings with grapes, chocolate buttons, DS1 will probably get a $12-20 box of lego and DS2 will probably get matchbox cars.
The list was slightly different a couple of months ago coz we were planning on doing a no-buy christmas and make everything but things have changed.
For our family present we brought a big pool on special on labour wknd and we're getting a tent large enough for us all too. It's a more expensive christmas than usual for us but they're all things that'll last for ages and we've wanted a few of those things for awhile but haven't been in a position to get them. I don't mind spending more money if its stuff that we're going to get the use out of.
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 7:23pm
We are on a really tight budget so the children each get one main present each and then a few small things - a couple of books each, a pair of summer pjs, a t shirt. Stockings will be small bits and pieces to eat, stickers and that sort of thing. If I had the money I could easily get carried away - leading up to Christmas there is a part of me that always feels bad that I can't buy them more - but on the other hand, I want Christmas in our family to be about the special traditions and our family and close friends.
Flossie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flossie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 7:54pm

As DD is still young and bubs (due Nov) is even smaller we have been quite tight, mainly because we can get away with it and tbh DD doesnt really need anything so I am not going to buy things for the sake of it.

She is getting a few clothes, pjs, bath chalk/crayon things, some jandals, and some stickers/books - the whole lot brought on sale so probably less than $50 worth - however we have large family (3 siblings on each side as well as parents, grandparents and some cousins) who buy gifts and last year was crazy how much she got.

fattykat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 8:30pm
Last year DD got a easel with whiteboard on one side & blackboard on the other as her big present (which she has used probably every 2nd day so was a great buy...on sale too) paints & brushes to go with it and some books. She got spoiled from her Nana's & Grandads though.
This year her big present will be a bike and probably more books & some clothes from us.
DP & I don't buy for each other so there is nothing spent there and we only buy small presents for our presents. We are lucky, Xmas doesn't cost us too much and because I put money away each week during the year the money is there to spend without being missed.
M.i.s.s.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.i.s.s.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 8:40pm
We are going to build our girls a playhouse for xmas this year, & they will just get a few small things to open, they also always get spoilt by grandparents, so no need to go overboard. (& we dont have the funds 2 anyways!)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 8:59pm
i buy mine through the year so dont really know how much we spend. I decided earlier this year - as i do most years - what the "theme" will be and it is musical instruments this year... so have a guitar for one a uke for the other and will get a keyboard or tambourine for the girl. there are things i always get, like a t shirt or pj's so look out for specials through the year of things i know they really like. one year it was all outdoor toys we got them, another it was bikes. most years the big present is from us, i hate Santa getting all the credit! lol! I do end up buying too much though.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 9:30pm
Last year the kids got a trampoline to share from us and one other pressie each, then from Santa they got lots of little cheap things ($2 shop) and stuff they needed (clothes etc) - especially DD as she was only 17 months so nothing too expensive in her santa sack.

This year I have gone a bit crazier, party cos they will be 4.5 and 2.5 and DS especially is really into the Xmas thing now and knows what he wants etc, and DD is 2 going on 5 and would not want to miss out on anything that her brother got! So DS is getting a decent bike from us, as hes outgrown the one we got him almost 2yrs ago. DD is getting a wooden dolls house that hubby got in Thailand (he imports clothes so sent it back in the container) and both will get books. From santa they are getting a scooter (cheap dora one I got on special for DD and good one for DS as his old one is falling apart and he loves it) plus lots of educational / wooden toys I got on trademe. I feel like I've gone a bit crazy looking at it all ... but the $2 shop stuff wouldn't have cut it this year and all ends up not being used anyway. At least I know the wooden puzzles / blocks / threading reels /abacus etc will last. Oh and I got them a half price zuzu pet each too!

I usually don't buys heaps for Xmas / b'days cos they get so much from other people .... don't know what happened to that theory this year!?!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 9:32pm
Just remembered about the big rubbish truck I got DS (he asked for it) and the blackboard/whiteboard for their playhouse.   Jazzy I'm as bad as you.

My MIL cleans our house and has asked everyone NOT to buy them toys for Xmas!!! (I've said books or clothes if people want to get something!)
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 9:41pm
I'm working with a $100 budget for DS - a $50 baby trampoline from Kmart, plus a couple of DIY projects (water table, duplo/lego table) and some small things in a stocking.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 10:21pm
We put $10pwk into each of the boys accounts so that'd be $520pyr for each of them. That covers christmas presents which is usually joint stuff and birthday presents, plus any clothes, shoes or odds and ends through the year. Means we don't have to scramble for money. Its the only reason we were able to get the presents we're getting this year.

We were going to wait and get DS2 a ride-on for his bday in Feb but DS1s bday isn't til July and he's outgrown his bike *now* so we figured we may as well do them both at the same time. Thats the only problem I'm discovering especially as they both get older - keeping it somewhat balanced!!

I've added up what we'll spend this year and had a horrified moment but then remembered that last christmas and the christmas before we were so strapped for cash we weren't able to buy the boys anything at all. I must say it is kinda nice to be able to get them stuff this year
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 10:41pm
We try to stick around the $50 mark - I don't think at my kids ages (nearly 4 and 2y3m) that they need it. Plus they get spoilt by others.

We are going halves with my parents in a doll for the girl (as it's $110 - every girl needs a quality doll), and World Peacekeepers toys for the boy. They'll then get a wee stocking full of little things.
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 9:20am
We tend to get practical things. Also cause our 2nd daughter will be so young this year (will only be 4 mths old) she will probably only get clothes or 1 of her older sisters toys wrapped for her.
We;ve splurged on Kiara this year and shes getting a balance bike which I think she will love (she like the 3 wheeler and 4 wheeler sorts her grandparents have) and that was $60.
As for other people (me/DP/MIL/FIL etc) we will be getting little things or getting presents in conjunction with other people so we can get something they really want. We're trying not to spend too much as our ultimate present to my MIL/FIL will be getting our own house and moving out in a couple of years!
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 11:25am
I feel myself wanting to go overboard, but haven't so much yet. We're not big on presents so much at occasions, but rather if we see something throughout the year we'll get it and give it then.
So far we've a mini-trampoline and an online music program, and may add a dolly. Not expecting a lot from family either so will see. Of course we've also recently bought clothing, bubbles, a smart trike and probably some other stuff I've forgotten recently that *could* have been Christmas presents, but we thought we'd rather give it when we know she'll enjoy it (i.e. now) rather than in a few months. Overall I'm trying for a $100 limit. If I counted everything we've already bought (including clothing) I think we'd be over even though we've gotten things very much on sale. Last year she got 1 present from us (and one we wrapped up from someone else that was actually sent for her birth).
Of course she's still at an age where things from the recycling are better toys than 'actual' toys...

Edited by Bky
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>