FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWho had a small intimate wedding and ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who had a small intimate wedding and ....
    Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:00pm
where did you have it?

I know this is not baby related...other than bubs will want its parents married DF and I have cancelled our quickly growing out of control wedding and are wanting something small and intimate with just close friends and family (although that still comes to 30 people ). I would like to go away somewhere (in NZ) and have a nice meal. any ideas????????
Sponsored Links

nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:11pm
We did, we lived in Tauranga at the time but I think we had about 50 as dh is the youngest of 8 so by the time you got partners and children it was still alot of people we got married at Yatton Park and had our reception at Valentines rest, Friends who really wanted to come but we could not invite as such came and paid for their own meal, we put a bit of money on the bar and that was it.
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:56pm
We did, we had our wedding at home with a celebrant and close family and friends. We did the decorating ourselves, and my oldest brother cooked us a huge smorgesboard at their house. We had around 35 people their and I wouldn't change it for the world. It was so relaxing no stress fantastic.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:06pm
This doesn't count cause it was overseas but our wedding was as intimate as they get...Just Me + Hubby at the Little White Wedding chapel in Vegas (No fake Elvis)
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:13pm

We have been to a couple of weddings in back gardens. Ask around and see if anyone that you know has a garden that is nice and big (and it helps if its pretty too). BBQ or pig on a spit, and ask a few people to bring salads to help!

Both the ones that we went to were lovely, and I am guessing fairly in-expensive. They felt very intimate and we felt like it was a really special day rather than just another wedding were no one really knows each other.

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:16pm
If you join the nzweddingplanner site, you will get awesome advice about places etc. Also Emma Newman is an amazing wedding planner who is really lovely and helpful. swhe frequents the wedding planner site quite a lot also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

If you join the nzweddingplanner site, you will get awesome advice about places etc. Also Emma Newman is an amazing wedding planner who is really lovely and helpful. swhe frequents the wedding planner site quite a lot also.

I joined the site but there seems to be SOOOOOOOO much to read I find it a little intimidating....not like ohbaby.....but I will be brave and have another look
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:48pm
Well our wedding was in the court. Just me hubby and McKayla's godmother and a close friend. I was in tears organising the wedding and told Grant I am calling it off. Family was hassling me every step of the way. So he took the organising over and within 2 days he called me and said am I marrying him due to the wedding or because I want to be married. So my answer is because I want to be married to him and he told me these are the dates that is available.

So instead of spending money on a huge wedding we spent it on ourselves. Honeymoon was only a weekend long as he took the whole of December off for the suppose wedding and honeymoon. Family was furious but their own fault. He did promise we can have another wedding at 10 year anniversary but not to keen on that. It will take away from what we had and it was wonderful.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:57pm

I am currently planning our "cermony"
We will have it on 01.07 as this is a special day for DP & I, it was when I was due with Tyrell and it was the day we spent in labour last year.

We are going to have Tyrell's birthday, cake game and some afternoon tea. Then we will ask all our guests 24 adults into the room next door where will have a celebrant and have a small ceremony less than 10 minutes.

We will then invite guests back to our house for a BBQ.
Nothing extravagant, just very simple and very small.

As DP is Samoan it is just too hard for us to do it cheap and on the down low. (I am already annoyed that too many people know about our "secret")

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 9:15pm
We had a garden wedding but we stayed at a B&B with gardens for our first night away and it was lovely. We could have had our wedding at those gardens but we had another venue already arranged (and DH arranged the honeymoon as a surprise). The B&B was so relaxing and laid back and very much our style.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 10:41pm
We had our wedding at the registry office, which is not as boring and grotty as some people think! Was really nice as my MIL and her husband were able to be there (they live in the US). All up there were nine of us at the ceremony, including us and the celebrant. We went out for brunch afterwards, then just hubby and I went to a movie and dinner later that night. Weather was perfect, wouldn't have had it any other way really
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 10:55pm

Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I joined the site but there seems to be SOOOOOOOO much to read I find it a little intimidating....not like ohbaby.....but I will be brave and have another look

It's not that bad over there (I came from there to here) you will recognise some of the names.

As for small wedding, I didn't have one (I had a rather large one  thanks to my parents paying for it) but I did attend one a few years ago. They had the ceremony at a park and then a small lunch for family and a few (I think about 10) friends. Then that night had a huge party at their house with a BBQ, songs from the computer and BYO drinks. It was really cozy and a great way to end the day.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:35am
where in NZ are you again? and did you want a religous/church wedding?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:40am
we are in christchurch and I would like to get away. I was thinking Queenstown, or Marlborough sounds, or the west coast. But I cant think of where we can have it. We need a nice place for the ceremony, a place for us to stay and for guests to stay and a nice place for dinner. Anyone know of any ideas?

I am freaked out that our "intimate" wedding would still be 30 people!!!!!!

Not necessarily religious. DF is catholic, I am just me!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:46am
Just remember it is YOUR wedding, and all about what YOU and your DF want, not what about other people want - esp. if you are paying for it yourselves. And IMO it's about the marriage, ie: the person you love so much you are committing the rest of your life to them, and not about the frills. (Not saying that bigger weddings aren't nice though!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:49am
I toy with the idea of running away and eloping but there is also a little part of me that doesnt want to do it "in secret" as it might seemed we are ashamed to be having the baby first. DFs family is catholic and whilst they are very excited about the baby a little part of them wishes we would hurry up and get it right by being married.

This pregnancy was totally planned though (even if it happened sooner than we expected). We had always planned bubs before wedding.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:10pm
Don't feel intimidated by NZWP we are all a friendly bunch of ladies, and there are a lot of South Island brides that can help you out.
Most of the hotels will offer some kind of wedding package for you and your guests.
Have you set a date?
The Good Shepherd Chapel in i think Wanaka/Lake Tekapo is great for a small wedding, there is a holiday park across the road for reasonably priced accommodation.
Fantastic location.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 1:42pm
ok, off to NZWP. Big brave breath and I;m in. see you on the other side!!!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 2:13pm
What about a hill top in akaroa, or somewhere in hanmer, I was there a few weeks ago and its still beautiful with all the trees etc..lots of scenic places to have the ceremony and its close to chch, they have cheap accomodation and you could hire out a wee restaurant. We went to the rustic something restaurant/cafe and they do tapas for mains, desserts and cocktails and it was awesome for a largeish crowd.
Or you could go to govenors bay, they have that house thing over there.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 2:15pm
forgot to add in hanmer you can also get really nice packages at the hanmer springs spa, full body massages etc... to pamper yourself before the wedding and you can also get accommodation on wotif.com

Oh and theres French Farm on the way to akaroa which is georgous.

Edited by my2angels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>