FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEar piercing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ear piercing...
    Posted: 31 January 2006 at 11:41am
Maya's little friend has her ears pierced, and I have always thought Maya was too young, but last week she actually came and asked me for earrings. I talked to her about the whole process - that it will hurt, that we will need to clean them etc. and she still wants it done, so I'm thinking about getting them done for her third birthday in a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit nervous tho - Mum had mine done at 3 and I fought her tooth and nail over having them cleaned, and I also think that Maya doesn't really understand what's involved, but at the same time, it seems really important to her.

Anyone else had their baby/toddler's ears pierced? Or have an opinion?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Bubblesnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubblesnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:42pm
Heya..
We got caitlins ears pierced when she was 17 months old..we had decided to get them done when she had enough hair:P She had a little grizzle at the time but didnt fuss when cleaning them at all (usually done it in the bath)
Mum got mine done at 18 months too and Ill do the same with Kyra once she is older

Caitlin got hers done one at a time..some places use two piercing guns at the same time.. depends where you go :)

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:50pm
Alyssa has been hassling me for earrings for ages. I told her that she cant have them till she is a big girl and starts school. She is happy with that. And now tells people when she is 5 and a big girl and goes to school she gets earrings.

There was a thread a few weeks agot on the everybody board. One person had strong opinions about not going to a pharmacy as they use guns and apparently the guns cant be autoclaved. They said to go to a proper peircer.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Bubblesnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubblesnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:55pm
Yeah i was told not to go to a pharmacy too..alot of other mums i know have ended up with their girls ears infected and crooked piercings.. we went to a properly trained piercing and tattoo artist.. she done an amazing job.. perfectly inline and no sign of infection
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 1:32pm
I knew a couple of girls at my high school who'd had their ears pierced when they were in primary school, and both had real problems with infections. One girl's ear was so bad, she'd had to let the hole close and the doctor said she couldn't have that lobe pierced at all again.

I'm not sure when we'll get Kiya's ears pierced - at the moment she's more interested in getting her bellybutton done as I've just had mine pierced (anniversary present from Nathaniel). He says she's not getting her ears pierced until she's in high school, I think probably when she's 10 or so... we'll see...
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 5:27pm
I don't really have an opinion either way but I got my ears pierced at 10 and just for continuity that's when I'll let Hannah get hers done - if she wants it.

Don't really know why... I always seem to follow my parents rules blindly
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 9:13pm
I got mine done at 5 and never had any problems. I heard that pharmecies won't do them unless the child is over 10 nowadays. not sure how true that is though.
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 10:07pm
I had mine done at 10 and one got infected, but not the other - and that was at a chemist too. I don't know how I feel about this one yet for my baby, might have to think about it !
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 11:37pm
My neice got hers done when she turned 1! and we went to a pharmacy they were great! they had 2 'guns' and they both counted to 3 and clicked together! she cryed for about 30secs and then stopped! I must say cleaning is a big thing though when they are young, because they seem to get into everything and dirt gets... EVERYWHERE!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 11:55pm
I got mine done at 3 and can actually remember - because they sprayed nice stuff on my ears to make them numb, and did one side but then phone rung and she talked so long that when she did the second it REALLY HURT!

Paris came out with the same thing about earings a few days ago, have no idea where from. we are contemplating getting hers done at 3 as well.

I know where you are coming from with the belly button thing too - Paris is fascinated by mine, and Ayja regularly tries to pull it out - i've had it in over 6 years now, through both pregnancies - i kinda feel weird without it.. so, I have already decided that 14 - 15 will be the age limit, if either of my girls want it done, then at that age i will take them... my sister has challenged me on this but my arguement is, i would rather them have that done - which can look nice, and is able to be hidden - than get a facial piercing (they look ok on the right people, but no mum really wants to think of her daugther doing that to her face)
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 12:09am

my best mate got her daughters ears done i think even before natalyah was 1!! I was contemplating getting harmonys done soon but not too sure.i got mine on my 8th birthday from my dad and stepmum then i got my 3nd holes when i was ten,then up the top of my ears when i was 14-15??? my bellybutton was a b/day pressie from an old old ex when i was 18 but my tummy grew too big and had to remove it and has closed over :(

thats my novel done lol

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 12:10am

oh yea,xander wanted to wear mine today

should i be worried pmsl

BECS

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:13am
He'd loook lovely!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:57am
I personally have a pretty liberal attitude about piercings, and as long as the kid runs it by me first I'd probably be OK with whatever they choose (I've had several myself). What does make me worry though is about the infection, or them pulling out earrings if they are really little, or them not really being able to "choose", which again is why I'll have to put some thought into this one as I hadn't really before.
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:59pm
Well we did it! We went to the same pharmacy that my friends little girl had hers done and they were great. There were two ladies and they did one side each at the same time, and she only cried for about 1/2 a minute till they showed her in the mirror and she forgot that it hurt.

She picked her own earrings too - with red sparklies in them. I'll add a pic when I take one.

With the cleaning, she was fine tonight, I think because it's all a novelty and a bit exciting (she thought I was going to take them out to start with and wasn't too happy) but I can see the novelty wearing off and us having a battle over it later on...

As for other piercings, I'm pretty liberal. Have to be really - I got my tongue pierced at 15 and only took it out when I was preg just before xmas last year coz it made my mouth feel yucky (never had that prob when I was preg with Maya).

I am pretty anti tattoos tho - I would hate one of my kids to get one! I have 5, and they all have special meaning to me (Maya's name, Mona's name etc.) and I'm going to get more, but somehow I don't know how I'd cope if one of my kids got a tattoo. My poor mother...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:43pm
Speaking of tattoos, saw one today. Am pretty sure the guy didn't realise what it means. it was kanji and means "insect" specifically mosquito....very similar to "power", which is what I'm guessing he wanted. I'd be very careful about getrting foreign words. I really want a kanji tattoo to remind me of my time in Japan, but will check over with my japanese friends first i think!
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 10:02pm
Thats awesome Emma, glad it went so well.

Hee hee thats a funny story Liz.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 7:22am
i want another tat of the kanji for love but have seen a few in different tattooists and they r all different to one another
BECS

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 7:59am
Hehehe... funny, Liz...
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:22am
hows maya going with her sparkly ears today?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>