FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmmmmm - homemade easter eggs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mmmmm - homemade easter eggs
    Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:51pm
Here we go, a tradition in our house since i was little to make our own easter eggs.

Here's the recipe:

To make the marshmellow:
1 tablespoon gelatine
1 tespoon lemon juice or essence
1 cup sugar
1/2 of a cup hot water
1/4 of a cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla essense
food colouring if wanted

Put cold water in a bowl, gradually add gelatine. Stand for 5 mins. Mix hot water and sugar in saucepan, stir over a low heat until disolved. Add gelatine mixture and let boil for 5 minutes. Cool till lukewarm. Pour into a bowl, add lemon juice, vanilla essence and colouring(if desired). Beat with electric egg beater until thick and creamy.    

This stuff sets in about 15 minsutes if beaten to right conisistency so best to work quickly, have moulds prepared earlier!

Get baking dishes, fill with plain flour, up to about 2 inches thick, use an egg (sideways to get the oval shape), or the back of a desert spoon to push indents into the flour, these should be the depth of about half way up the egg.

Pour masrhmellow mixute into the moulds and allow to set.

Once set, lift out carefully, join 2 halves together (with the sticky side that hasn't been in the flour mould) give a few pats to get rid of the excess flour.
put in container and refridgerate overnight.

to make choc mixture:
melt 100gm of cooking chocolate with 2 tablespoons of kremelta over a low heat until combined.
Again this stuff sets fairly quickly, so have everything prepared. Best to use a really good skewer, or a 2 prong cocktail fork (little tiny plastic ones), dip the masrhmellow eggs into the chocolate, let excess drip off then place on a tray with greasproof paper to let set.

Mmmmmm, yummy eggies.

More recipes to come tomorrow.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:12pm
I don't really like marshmellow eggs, but now I want to make some!

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 9:52am
mmmm i love making these, i have just found my recipe book that i copied from mums old exercise book full of recipes she's gathered over the years. all the home made stuff is so much nicer than the bought.

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 3:39pm
Oooh, yum! Was just telling DH about how we made caramel easter eggs when I was a kid but have never tried marshmallow ones. Will definitely print off and try!
Mum to two wee boys
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 3:56pm
I have to make easter eggs this year. Went to spotlight yesterday and bought some moulds and easter foil. Now just got to make some. Thanks for the marshmellow recipe Janine, sound yummy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 8:23pm
How long does that all take, Janine? Do they taste much like store marshmellow eggs?

And Flittsy - I'm PMing you to list your caramel egg recipe!!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 8:28pm
not too long just get the moulds ready first, all up it doesn't take too long to make and do these.

and no they don't tast like storebought marshmellow that's all stodgy, this stuff if made right is so light and fluffy it pretty much melts in your mouth. mmmmm.

ooh reminds me that i was going to post my homemade fondant choccys recipe too. off to do that.

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 6:56pm
hi busymum
"made my own" was probably exaggerating! You can get moulds from spotlight. we melted chocolate in one, would freeze it for about 20 min to set it and then add caramel which you could buy at the chocolate shop that was in sydenham mall in chch 20 years ago! you can probably get the caramel at spotlight. then fill the top mould with chocolate, put together (and hold it with bulldog clips) put in the freezer for another 20 minutes, then YUM YUM YUM!
Mum to two wee boys
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 6:29pm
Yum! Would the mashmallow mix stick to plastic molds and make it hard to come out?
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 7:33pm
Um am not sure, you could try but i would say you'd have to flour the moulds and chances are that while trying to prise them out of the moulds you would likely stick your fingers through them.   Seriously the flour moulds are so so easy, and when you remove them you can just slip a desert spoon underneath to scoop them out, stick with another one then dust off the excess flour.

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 6:23pm
yum but don't think i'm that brave to make my own!!!
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 10:03pm
I made some today, they are setting in the fridge tonight and we'll put chocolate on them tomorrow.

DP and I can't get over what gelatine (I mean, we already knew but reading it on the box!) is made of though lol I think we'll be giving these away to unsuspecting peeps

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 10:03pm
p.s thanks for the recipe!
p.p.s - we made some of them blue~!

Lanata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 1:01pm
**bump** yummy, easter time!!!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:13pm
hehehe, evil recipes - i have more to add very soon of more easter treats. just trying out the last couple of recipes before i post them.

Lanata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 6:45pm
yes, please post more!! I need to practice for Tayla's 1st easter next year that she can enjoy and if I need to taste test this year then so be it hehehe

Edited by Lanata
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:28am
Thanks Janine! I was starting to get slightly bummed as I am dairy/egg free this easter....but now I get to partake instead of just watching DH scoff both our share of easter eggs
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 8:46am
I bet these eggs are yummy!
Just wondered how many it makes?

Annnnnd what is gelatine made of?? Animal bits or something??

Little Angel, April 10
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 7:59pm
gosh i can't remember how many - i think maybe mid 20's?

kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 12:12am
Wow so you would need to make at least 40 half-egg moulds.. Not sure if I have enough baking dishes lol.

When you pop the choc covered eggs onto paper to set, do the flatten slightly on one side? Or do they set perfectly rounded and egg-like IYKWIM?

Little Angel, April 10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>