FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDinner ideas for toddler meals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinner ideas for toddler meals
    Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:02pm
I'm looking for inspiration for what Michaela and I can eat for dinner now the evenings are getting cooler.

We always eat heaps of veges so that's ok, I'm thinking more along the lines of main dishes that my toddler will be willing to try.

I already have:

1. schnitzel (mmmm, my favourite brushed with soy sauce and lemon juice then egged and coated with rice crumbs)
2. sausage casserole
3. alphabet soup
4. spaghetti bolognaise
5. shepherds pie

I'm trying not to buy so much red meat so meal ideas for chicken or vegetarian dishes would be hugely appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:12pm
what about some pasta dishes...that you can put chicken in, or not as the case maybe

macaroni cheese

oakhill potatoes...(a favourite in this household)...and if you cant have flour, then cornflour works just as well.

stews/casseroles

oh i have a cookbook that has homemade chicken nuggets, and home made fish patties (made from tuna), both very yummy...if you want them i will put them up in the recipe section

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:28pm
Thanks Kaz, I forgot about scalloped potatos (aka oakhill). They're really yum.

If you wouldn't mind posting them I would love to see your nugget and chicken pasta recipes.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:35pm
pasta bakes are great. We have them all the time. Daniel even likes them (he hates most of my cooking haha). We add peas/carrots/corn to them and he likes eating those and the pasta. There's tons of really yummy sauces if you don't want to make your own (I don't). We get dolmio tomato and mozerella which is so good.

Home made fish n chips.

Stuffed veges. She might enjoy helping you make those. Stuffing a potato or capsicum is really easy
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:39pm
Oh, stuffed potatos is a great idea. I love stuffed potatos.

Does anyone have recipes for homemade sauces for pasta bake?
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 3:40pm
I got a really good book from Plunket the other day, it had heaps of recipes in it for toddlers, would you like me to have a nosey and see whats in there?

Try www.taste.com.au for pasta sauce recipes, I use that site all the time for inspiration.

Recipe Ideas

Edited by .Mel
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 5:13pm
tuna rice bake, or fish pie made with canned tuna and veges topped with mashed potato/kumara and or pumpkin.

Quiche - I just boil potatoes/kumara/pumpkin (whichever I have) put them in a lasagne type dish, throw on whatever frozen mix vege I want, usually brocolli cos Isla loves it, plus mixed peas/corn/carrots, mix eggs and a bit of milk (we use soy) then pour over veges and bake til egg is set. You can also throw in bacon/ham/tuna and top with cheese, tomatoe slices or asparagus and or breadcrumbs if u wish. I cut into small cubes as finger food for Isla.
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 6:44pm
Crunchy Fish Sticks (are better as fish cakes)

3 medium potatoes          
375gms canned tuna in brine, drained and flaked (2 x 185gm tins)
1 egg, lightly beaten          
breadcrumbs (for coating)
Oil for shallow frying     
salt and pepper to taste

1.     Boil potatoes and mash until smooth, Add tuna and egg to potatoes and mix well to combine.
2.     Take 2 tsps and shape into patties and press into breadcrumbs to coat
3.     Heat 1cm oil in a fry pan and heat over a medium heat until hot, cook for 3-4 mins each side or until golden and cooked through.

Makes 24

Chicken Nuggets

500gms chicken mince          
1 egg, lightly beaten     
45gms breadcrumbs (from stale bread)     
60gms cottage cheese, mashed
125gms dried breadcrumbs          
oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste

1.     Place mince, egg, soft breadcrumbs, cottage cheese in a bowl and mix well to combine.
2.     Take 2 tsps of mixture and shape into balls, then flatten slightly and press gently into dried breadcrumbs to coat.
3.     Heat 1cm oil in pan over medium heat until hot, and cook for 2 mins each side or until cooked through and golden. (Makes 24)

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:40pm

homemade Pizza- then Michaela can help make the pizza

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:50pm
I got a Gina Food cookbook from the library and it is fab. I have made several dishes and they are delicious (naturally Elle has not been willing to even try one single mouthful but I try every day nonetheless).
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by .Mel .Mel wrote:

I got a really good book from Plunket the other day, it had heaps of recipes in it for toddlers, would you like me to have a nosey and see whats in there?

Yes please.

Originally posted by FionaS FionaS wrote:

I got a Gina Food cookbook from the library and it is fab. I have made several dishes and they are delicious (naturally Elle has not been willing to even try one single mouthful but I try every day nonetheless).

LOL, Michaela's the same. She hates trying new things and I shant dare mixing the food on her plate, she won't touch it if there are items mixed together so no one-dish meals allowed in our house.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 12:20pm
I do a lot of crockpot meals these days coz they are easy and I can get it on in the morning, and the gremlins seem to love it, I think coz the meat and veg are all really tender so easy to chew. Miss Fussypot Five won't eat it, but sucks to be her coz she goes hungry!

Second or third what everyone else has said about pasta, I either do a pasta bake as a side dish instead of potato (using one of those Watties pasta bake sauces) or I make a one pot meal of it as either chicken and mushroom pasta or tuna pasta bake.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 1:27pm
I do a chicken fettucine with sun dried tomato pesto and Ashleigh LURVES it!! Very easy too
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 2:08pm
I made a pumpkin, corn and barley succotash the other night, that was a yummo vego dish.

Charlotte enjoys roasts on these cold winter nights.

I got some chicken tenderloin pieces this week and coated them in Coat and Cook then baked them in the oven, tasted like KFC without the grease! YUM!

Mashed potatoes are also a favourite in our house and I jazz them up with bacon, sourcream, spring onions, cheese etc.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 2:22pm

I'd never hear of succotash before.  I thought it was just Sylvester the Cat's catchphrase "suffering succotash".  Anyway just googled it and that looks yummy, thanks, I love beans.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 9:33pm
Ooh I like the sound of your mashed spuds CuriousG!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
fiona10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiona10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 11:54pm
You can make cauliflower cheese bake, my child loves it so does my husband :) It's really easy as well. All you need is:

Cauliflower (chopped)
Onion
Salt
Pepper

[U}Sauce
Butter
Flour
Milk
Cheese
Breadcrumbs

Method

Fry the onion in some oil until its soft and translucent. Add the chopped cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Now add a little water and leave to cook on slow heat until the cauliflower turns soft.

Take out a casserole dish and put in the cauliflower. Layer the sauce on top of the cauliflower and finally sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Place the casserole in the oven until the breadcrumbs are light brown.

Enjoy!
PositiveParenting.co.nz
social networking for parents in New Zealand
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 2:52pm
Jack quite enjoys a Vegetable Frittata. You can use fresh veges (potato, kumara, carrots, capsicum, courgette, anything really - chopped, grated or sliced, some may need to be cooked a bit first in the microwave) or last nights left overs, out them in the frying pan with a couple (or more, depends on the size of the pan) of beaten eggs and milk, maybe some pepper or spices and cook until the egg is set. I usually put grated cheese on it and put under the grill to melt.
Lindsey

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 8:54pm
Bump for Tishy
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 9:46pm
Don't forget fish cakes. Or baked kumara instead of potato for a change.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>