FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFlower girl dresses on the cheap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flower girl dresses on the cheap
    Posted: 19 June 2009 at 10:50am
O.K. so I think its safe to share my secret here as no-one here directly knows my family or friends.

Jess and I as of a couple of nights ago have decided to elope in Feb. The plan is we are taking one friend each (no family it's too unfair) and our girls of course. We will be heading down to Wanaka in time for Rippon NZ music festival (where Jess proposed 2 years ago) We'll get fully dress up in full wedding attire and the day before Rippon, in the morning we will be married by Wanakas stunning lakeside. Then we will have a champagne lunch in one of Wanakas restaurants in our full attire no less lol. So no doubt we will get a few strange looks Then the next day will get to celebrate at one of our favorite music festivals. I'm so amped the more I think about it the excited I get about how intimate and special it will be....

So my question is what to do about flower girl dresses? The twins will be 21months in Feb and walking (yay) I want to get them matching white dresses but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them! I'm hoping to keep both dresses under a hundred dollars as the budget we are allowing ourselves is $2000. It seems to be if you put the word wedding in front of anything vendors charge the price of a small country. Surely I can get something from a regular store for a fraction of the cost. Keeping in mind it will be pretty hot so it will need to be a summer dress.

Edited by lisa85

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Sponsored Links

IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:13am
Yah how exciting!

My friend got her wee flowergirl dresses from Farmers they are stunning! They have wee ringboy suits too - so cute.

They might not have them in at the moment but try from like October onwards - I think her dresses where $50 from memory.
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:16am
Oooh very exciting!!

Sorry I can't help with finding dresses, but that sounds like so much fun!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:16am
ive seen quite a few dresses in farmers - when i was looking for one for our wedding they had a lot of smaller sizes (your size) but none for older girls - our flower girl was 10 and it was a nightmare - there was actually nothing at all even really expensive stuff. Farmers ones are less than $50 and are so cute
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:20am

OMG! This is GREAT news.

We'll be able to wedding plan while Aquasizing - LOL.

Dresses - yeah, I'd look at Farmers, or there is is place down in Brighton that makes wee fairy dresses (really nice ones!) that might make something to order.

HOW EXCITING (and yes, I am shouting!)!!!!

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:22am
You can get them done really cheaply. I made our flower girl's dress for about $20 and she was 7 so needed way more material than your girls will need.

Keep an eye on PP and JK etc as they often have flower girl type dresses (eg this one, not white though).

TradeMe often has flower girl dresses but you'd be hard pushed to get two the same I think.

Your other option is a tutu or petticoat matched with a plain white singlet:

The pettiskirts can be pricey (they're time consuming to make) but you can get a very similar look with a tutu (like this one).

Here's an example of what I mean:

Actually, you know what? I'll have nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs between November and February... I'll make them if you want! Just do some browsing for some pictures you like (or check out some patterns online) and I'll whip them up to match the pics

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:29am
I didn't have any flower girls so can't help there but I just wanted to say HOW EXCITING!!!
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:40am
Oh I just love the idea of the tutus and singlets! It actually really fits with what we are doing as well. We want it to be kindda funky & fun. We are sticking to a black and white theme so the boys will be in plain black and white suits with skinny black ties (think reservoir dogs)
I will have the white dress my MOH will have a black dress and the twins will be in white. I like the idea of tying a small amount of black into the girls dresses as well. Like the last picture above. The top and tutu could be all white with a black ribbon tied around....

MC April 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:41am
Yep, or with a little bit of black tulle in the tutu too

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:43am
Weegee your so talented! Is that the dress you made in the top pic? It's gorgeous! I might have to enlist you in my dress en devours if your keen.

MC April 2010
crakars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crakars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:48am
i suggest farmers too - or even trade me - congrats
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:52am
Yep, that's the dress I made... it was very simple so I have to say not much talent required SIL sold it recently which is a little sad (but I spose it was almost 6 years ago!). I'd love to help make something pretty. I made my sister's wedding dress a couple of years back, anything seems easy after that!

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:55am
Haha well it's months away yet. But I'll give you a buzz around the November mark and see if your still keen. The girls still have a lot of growing to do between now and November.

I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!!!

MC April 2010
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:56am
Oh and I'm off to try on wedding dresses this weekend to get a feel for what looks good on me YAY!

MC April 2010
jem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:12pm
I was going to say farmers as well. when we got married they had alot of good stuff but they were all to small for my 7yr old girls.

And as you have mantioned that you are going to a reasturant all dressed up i think thats a brillant idea. when we got married we checked into the hotel and didnt have any time to change b4 the reasturant closed so we had no choice but to turn up all dressed up (minus the shoes for me ouch)
ended up getting congrats from everyone in there (apart from the loud noisy americans who didnt even notice us lol) and a drink. one couple even sent a very very very expensive bottle to our room 30 mins after we left!
jem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:14pm
oh and make sure that your shoes are very very comfortable!
I wore mine in i thought alot b4 we got married but by the end of the ceremony my little toe was almost bleeding
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:27pm
I'm hoping the staff might shout us a drink lol! Also thinking about casual shoes for me as I don't think anyone will notice but I will! I've never been into heels so I'm sure I can find something that suits the occasion/dress and something thats comfortable.

MC April 2010
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 1:03pm
Not too sure on dresses but wanted to say a big congratulations!
And what a great idea! Also it will be so exciting for your little girls!
Well done you
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 1:11pm
Congratulations Lisa. It sounds like so much fun (I thought you were already married for some reason!).

Can I be nosey & ask what sort of dress you're thinking for yourself? A traditional wedding dress or something a little more casual?
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 1:19pm
Traditional wedding dress for me I guess when it comes to the clothes I want to do something right. Plus I love the idea of just sitting down, middle of the day in a crowded restaurant drinking champagne in a big beautiful wedding dress. My best friend Rachel who will be my maid of honor will just wear a standard little black dress not a traditional bridesmaid dress. Jess and his best man will wear plain suits similar to the ones pictured above. So I guess in a round about way I'm indirectly making myself star of the show lol! Except for Hazel and Esme of course who tend to steal the show in any scenario so I guess this will be no different!

MC April 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>