FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShe Did It!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: She Did It!!
    Posted: 28 October 2005 at 10:27am
After reading all the feedback I got after asking about potty training we went out and bought some knickers and put them on Chloe yesterday afternoon. I ask her every so often if she needs to go potty and she will say yes if she does, she hasn't had any accidents yet but I wondering if I should really be asking her if she need to go so often or not? She hasn't come up to me and told me she needs to yet so I'm not sure if she will or if she is too shy about it. She has only done wees on the potty and waited until I put a nappy on her for bed before she did poos. Does anyone have any ideas to overcome this or is it just a matter of time?
Sponsored Links

k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 10:48am
hi how old is your daughter? My boys are starting to show signs of being aware but as they have just turned 2 am wondering if am starting them too early?
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 11:12am
I didn't use a potty, I just went straight to putting Kiya on the toilet. I put her on every hour during the day until she got the idea, then I increased the intervals between sending her to the toilet. We used a sticker chart to encourage her to go herself, a sticker every time she went in the toilet and 20 stickers to fill up the chart. When she'd completed a chart, we went for a walk to the dairy and I bought her a lollipop or an iceblock. Maybe something similar would work for Chloe.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 11:52am
Chloe is 2years and 3months old. Since my last post Chloe has had one accident and I am wondering it maybe the only reason she has been going on the potty might be because I ask her if she needs to go so often. I ask her if she needs to go or remind her that she is wearing knickers not a nappy about every 15mins, she does say no a lot of the time and when she does say yes I put her on the potty and she goes. I might have to try a sticker chart, we just give her a sticker on her hand for using the potty but a chart sounds better. I might see how she goes for a day or two but if she keeps having accidents I might give her a week or so and try again. Do you think this is the right approach?
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 12:13pm
It worked with Kiya, however, she was 3yrs4mths when I started TT her. Once Kiya was going regularly, I changed the way I rewarded her to a sticker for staying dry rather than a sticker for going to the toilet.

We did the intervals breakfast to lunch, lunch to afternoon tea, afternoon tea to dinner, and a bonus sticker if she'd stayed dry all day. As an immediate bonus, if Kiya had stayed dry all day she got to ring her grandparents and tell them before she went to bed. When she was staying dry regularly (took about 3 weeks) we bought her Piglet's Big Movie on DVD, and propped it up on top of the fridge where she could see it but not reach it. Kiya had a chart & a half left to fill in (about 30 stickers) and then she got the movie to keep. That was her last reward.
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 4:15pm
Wow you have some really good ideas I'll have to try them. I think I may have started her a bit early but we will see. Chloe kicked up a big fuss when I told her I needed to put a nappy on her before her afternoon sleep so I think shes decided she wants to keep trying so we will.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:10pm
You and Chloe are the best judges of when she's ready. I tried with Kiya several times from when she was about the same age as Chloe, but she wasn't ready until just over 3yrs old.

Kiya was still in night nappies until 3yrs7mths, and we'd been night TTing her for 2 weeks when she broke her arm! As we couldn't guarentee the cast would stay dry overnight, we put her back into nappies until after the cast came off 7 weeks later.
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 9:10pm
Oh ouch a broken arm. A friend of mine had her boy out of nappies and TT during the nights before he was three but now at 4 and a half he has reverted back, it's almost like he needs to be TT all over again So I think it's probably best to TT when they are older. I'm not sure Chloe is ready but she loves wearing knickers so much I think I will just let her decide if shes wants to wear a nappy or knickers at home during the day.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2005 at 11:10am
Its common for children to revert. Kiya had been day TT for 6 months and night TT for 5 weeks when she reverted. We told her we knew she could do better, and gently encouraged her to start trying again. She wanted us to bring back the sticker charts, but we refused. Instead, we praised her lots for staying dry during the day, and gave her a lollipop (just a cheap one from a multipack) if she stayed dry all night. It worked!
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 3:38pm

Chloe has been doing really well using her potty to do wees but she always waits to have a nappy on before she will do poos. Has this happened with your daughter? I'm not to sure how I can make her comfortable about it. I've tried to put her on the potty when I've noticed she is starting to "push" but she just stops and holds it in. Does anyone have any ideas for getting through this stage?

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 4:49pm
Sorry, can't help - Kiya was one of those kids who figured out how to control her bowels first.
 Post Reply Post Reply