FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYay our budget is working GREAT!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yay our budget is working GREAT!
    Posted: 11 April 2008 at 10:54am
After seeing Becks' post about budgets I made our own one up, as we didn't really have any rules about the amount of money we could spend and our montly credit card bill was getting higher and higher (we use CC to pay for daily spending to get airpoints then pay it off before getting charged interest).

I can't believe how much random sh*t we spent money on and how much was just totally unwarrented spending.

Just from DH's fornightly pay DH and I each get $80 in our own little accounts (yay for bnz total money!). DH isn't happy about having to pay for his lunches if he wants to buy out of his money but tough. That is his prob if he is too lazy to come home or make his lunch lol.

We have a "Houdini" account for Daniel which gets $40 for all his clothes etc. I even have a Christmas account so we can go nuts at the end of the year. And we even have $150 going into savings a fortnight which is way more than the $20 I was putting in hehe

Yay I'm so proud it's working great so far!

And then we are going to use our WFF payment (of which we are FINALLY receiving) to do things around the house and for our holiday in September.

One thing I have wondered is what on earth were we spending my pay on when I was working full time?!?!
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 11:55am
That sounds great Stacey.

I am big on budgets, I actually look forward to writing my annual budget and financial plans at the start of each year (yep, I'm a weirdo) but we're not so great sticking to them. This week alone DH has spent $100 unbudgetted and I have spent about $20.

So I think, from reading your post, we're going wrong by not having our own personal cash regularly. We used to but stopped when we were on a single income. I think I need to start budgetting it in again then if DH wants to buy dinners/cigarettes etc and I want to go out for lunch/buy clothes etc we can without dipping into our household funds.

Thanks for sharing.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 12:43pm
I think I'm going to have to re-work my budget as I am back to spending sh*teloads on nothing and my credit card is creeping back up. I was doing so well there!!

Oh yeah, meant to say well done!!

Edited by nikkiwhyte
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 12:55pm
Yeah having our own money helps ALOT. DH likes buying lunch because he's lazy and I hate it because it adds up to lots so if he wants to buy it he can with his own money. And I can go guilt free shopping which is fab!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 1:03pm
I buy lots of lunch costs me a fortune!

Speaking of eating out... I'm off now. haha. I'm useless!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 1:31pm
I suck at budgeting, I have spent a FORTUNE this week without flinching.

But I am good and take my lunch each day.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 3:32pm
When we bought the house I did up a budget and it's pretty good. We don't have "spending" money each, but DF buys 2 sandwiches for his lunch each day (and takes fruit, muesli bars etc from home) and I buy a soy mocha for morning tea each day so it kiiiiind of levels out (except his sandwiches are more expensive but oh well). And what we have left in the account (usually between $130-200 a week depending on DP's hours) is for whatever we want - smokes, groceries that might be needed, speedway (though thankfully the season is over because it was around $50-60 a week). All of the bills are paid by AP, and we have a grocery and car account where I transfer money to so we always have money in there. If we need something personal that is sort of over $20 (i.e. my monthly wax, a new Thermos for DP), we check with each other and I usually say yay or nay (I handle the finances) if we have the money in there. It works well for us. We also save $100 a week on top of that - but we have two full-time incomes coming in which makes that quite easy. That savings will also be money for the renovations and the wedding, for big ticket items, otherwise smaller, cheaper items will come out of the weekly 'spending" money...

Ramble over - glad it's working Stacey! It's amazing what we spend money on without realising it!!!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 3:44pm
I usually suck ass at budgets but after making it myself rather than have DH confuse me with how he gets figures (everything he does like this he overcomplicates it) and forcing it upon me I'm doing good this time.

Our budget doesn't even take into account what I'm making from my business. It's all based on DH's pay which is great for us because anything I make is extra.

And I've got a fairly longish list of littleish things I want to do to this house that has been put off because of Daniel so now knowing I can is greeeeat!
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 6:04pm
I make DH's lunch, I'm such a good wife. Saves him buying it at the Mess though.

Unfortunately most of our budget goes on petrol and food!!

[/url]

Angel June 2012
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 7:01pm
Good on you! We have spending money as well and find that saves some stress - I can buy my mags and clothes and it's out of my budget so he can't complain; he goes to Placemakers and spends his spending money there. Though my shoes are a different matter - I think they come out of "household essentials"
Mum to two wee boys
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 7:15pm

Great Budget Stacey!! I really need to pull my head in and stop spending on everything and nothing

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 7:45pm
Yeah our money was going on nothing which was why I thought of doing the budget. It means we think before we spend which is gooooood.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 8:58pm

Yeah i'm not doing too bad with mine. Have had the odd hiccup but nothing too bad. The trip to Hastings did cost a bit (damn petrol prices). But i'm coping.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
 Post Reply Post Reply