FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFeijoas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feijoas
    Posted: 11 April 2008 at 4:15pm
I have millions of Feijoa's, has anyone got any great recipes I could use some up with?
I usually do Feijoa and apple crumble and am about to try out a feijoa muffin recipe
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 4:36pm
There is an Alison Holst feijoa muffin recipe that is delicious - maybe thats the one you have? It has an option of adding raspberries, and the addition makes the muffins sooo delicious that even my DH, who doesn't like feijoas loves the muffins.

If thats not the recipe you have, let me know and i'll dig it out at home. I've moved house and don't have a feijoa tree this year, I'm gutted! (and I'm going to plant several this winter!)
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 4:53pm
The one i have is just off the internet, so I dont have that one! If you have time that would be great, but no big rush! Thanks heaps sounds divine!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:38pm
Feijoa Salsa

3 feijoas, peeled and cut into tiny dices
1/2 a small avocado, peeled and cut into tiny dices
1 med red onion, peeled and cut into tiny dices
1T brown sugar
1 small red chilli finely diced (or chilli seasoning to taste)
1 heaped table spoon of finely chopped fresh mint

Serve with pork.

Feijoa Chutney (makes about 2 Litres)

1kg onions
300g raisins
300g dates
5 c peeled and diced feijoas
450 g brown sugar
1 T curry powder
1 T ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 litre vinegar

Cut onions roughly, add to food processor in batches with raisins and dates and mince together. Transfer to . Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 1-2 hours stirring now and again until thick. Bottle in sterilised jars.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:49pm
oh that salsa recipe sounds good! Thanks Mel! I will be busy chopping and scooping feijoas tomorrow!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:50pm
Spiced Feijoa Cake

125g butter melted,
1 cup chopped feijoas,
1 cup sugar,
1 egg,
1 1/2 cups flour,
1 tsp salt,
1 tsp baking soda,
2 tsp cinnamon,
1 tsp allspice.

Topping:
1 1/2 Tbsp butter melted,
1/2 c rolled oats,
1/4 c brown sugar,
1 tsp white sugar.

Melt butter, remove from heat, add feijoas, sugar and egg. Beat well and fold in dry ingredients. Line cake tin. Pour mixture into tin. Combine topping and sprinkle over cake. Bake at 180*C 30-40 minutes till centre springs back when pressed lightly.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:51pm
The cake is devine!!!!! The salsa is addictive! I have warned you! I take no responsibility for your actions!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:53pm
haha! I will blame you entirely when I double my size! I kid myself that its healthy and my god that cake sounds good!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 6:08pm
you could give them away if you have too many --- i might know someone who would love some!!!

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 7:48pm
hehe yeah we have been bagging them up tonight to hand out, they aren't great this year as we pruned the bush but your welcome to some!
emeldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emeldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 5:27pm
Feijoa Jelly (for on toast)

Ingredients
1.5 kg feijoas
water to cover – about 4 cups
sugar

Method
1.     Wash the feijoas and chop roughly. Place the fruit into a large preserving pan and cover with water.
2.     Bring slowly to the boil and then simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the fruit is soft and pulpy.
3.     Carefully transfer the hot fruit mixture to a jelly bag and allow the mixture to drain for 1-2 hours. Do not squeeze the fruit pulp.
4.     Measure the juice and return to a clean saucepan and add 3/4 cup sugar for every one cup of juice. Stir slowly over a moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until a setting test is given. Skim off any scum as it rises.
5.     Allow the bubbles to subside, skim off any remaining scum and bottle in hot sterilised jars. Seal and label.
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 3:56am
SimoneF: I have a great feijoa muffin recipe that I will post, just have to find it tucked away in amongst my recipes, as haven't made it in a while due to the fact that the UK doesn't seem to sell feijoas (can't find them anywhere over here!), so can't wait to make this recipe again when we're back in NZ and it's feijoa season again! I'll try and find it tonight.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 11:44am
Hehe, whoops... forgot I'd promised to put a recipe up here

At least I can assure you that it was worth the wait

Fabulous Feijoa Muffins (From Alison Holst's marvelous muffins book, I think).

75g butter, melted
1 cup finely chopped feijoa flesh
2 large eggs
finely grated rind of 1 orange
¼ cup orange juice
¾ cup sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp sugar

Heat oven to 210°C (200°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle. Heat the butter in a large bowl until it is liquid. Halve the feijoas and scoop out the central part with a teaspoon. (Muffins are nicest if you do not use much of the firmer outer shell.) Chop feijoa into pieces no bigger than peas. Pack into cup measure, then mix this into the melted butter with a fork. Add the unbeaten eggs, orange rind, and the juice of the orange (made up to volume with a little lemon juice if necessary). Mix until everything is combined. Mix the sugar and self-raising flour in another container. Sprinkle it over the egg mixture, then fold it in without overmixing. (If you have used too much firm feijoa flesh you may need to add a little extra juice or milk to reach usual muffin consistency.) Divide the mixture between greased muffin pans. Mix the cinnamon and second measure of sugar, and sprinkle it on the muffins. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the centres spring back when pressed.
VARIATION: For Raspberry and Feijoa Muffins, add an extra ¼ c of sugar and fold in 1 c of frozen raspberries.
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 10:40pm
Here's my feijoa recipe a friend gave me, which I've found to be very delicious!

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
100g butter
1 1/2 cups fruit (peeled and chopped feijoas)
cream cheese

Melt butter, allow to cool. Sift dry ingredients, beat egg, add milk. Then add butter to milk mixture. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Add fruit.

Half fill muffin pans, add a dollip of cream cheese to each, and fill remainder of muffin pans.

Bake at 200 degs C for 20 mins (approx).
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 2:30pm
BUMP

these sound like great recipes!!
natasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 10:36am
Spiced Feijoa Cake.
I just made yesterday and it is delicious. Moist and light. The whole family loves. I will be making it again and will be adding walnuts for a little something extra. Thanks.
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 8:46pm
I don't like Feijoa's so I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes to see if I like them with a twist =oD The kids LOVE them (found that out yesterday) so I'm sure they will like them too.
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 9:16pm
I make the Banana Cake recipe from the good old Edmonds cook book, and just use fejoas instead of bananas! Yum with cream cheese icing!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 6:50pm
we bottle them.. then you can have fejoas any time of the year!

+1 May 09 Angel
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2010 at 12:15pm
I make the banana cake recipe with fijoas too, and the banana loaf one works well too! YUM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>