FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBudget recipes and $saving ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:45am
Hey nzpiper where is the butcher you go to? I am sorting out the freezer today so I can bulk buy some meat and freeze it and I like the idea of going free range/organic.

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

I've got the 4 INgredients cookbook, haven't used it yet tho

ooohh, must have a look next time i am over!!!

pasta sauce can also be made with cheap canned tomatoes. i never knew about freezing tomatoes, might get hubby to plant even more next season so i can try it!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:47am
oh and honey and soya sauce make a good marinade.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 12:25pm
someone was telling me about making past a sauce in the crock pot. throw in tomatoes, some chopped garlic and onion. leave in the crockpot over night and then add herbs etc the next moring. never tried it, but will when tomatoes are on special next.

apparently you can also do something similar with stewed apples - prepare - throw in crockpot, add a wee bit of water. leave overnight.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:09pm
oh and not sure how practical or cost saving it is but you can make porridge in the crock pot overnight too!

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:42pm
I do pumpkin/kumara soup which might do 2 lunches each plus a weekend dinner with bread; leek and potato soup - does 2 meals each with toast. Minestrone is fab - does 3+ meals for 2 and probably costs $5.

Pastas. I do carbonara - spaghetti with bacon, egg and milk (not cream cos I'm cheap) and parmesan; penne with tomato sauce - 1/2 can canned tomatoes, 1/2 can tomato paste, basil, bit of balsalimic, bit of sugar and some olives.

Pumpkin/spinach lasagne with cottage cheese. Cook pumpkin till soft. Layer pumpkin, spinach, mix cottage cheese/egg/milk, can tomatoes, lasagne and repeat. Finish with cheese (or make a white sauce and sprinkle cheese over). Bake 180 for 40 minutes.

Bacon and leek pilaf - fry bacon, add leeks, add 1-2 cups rice, stock and let cook for 20 minutes

Sausage and bean casserole from Dest Gourmet - can post recipe tomorrow

Bake sausages (I love signature range pork and fennel), and potato wedges with paprike sprinkled over. For last 10 minutes add olives, peppers and chunks of left over bread.
Mum to two wee boys
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 5:30pm
oh whats your recipe for Minestrone soup? YUM!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:08pm
It's Simon Holst one. Fry an onion and some bacon (I use 2-3 pieces). Add 3 sticks of celery, 2 carrots, one potato (all diced). Add about 4C water, 1 can tomato, 1 casn kidney beans, 4t chicken stock powder. Boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Add 3/4 cup small pasta, herbs (I use thyme and oregano), 2C cabbage and salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes. Add more hot water if needed.

Is easy as, cheap as and so yummy!!! I also feel virtuous about my vege intake! I double it, and that uses a whole bunch of celery and 1/2 a cabbage,. Freezes well, but if I'm going to do that, I under cook the pasta a bit cos it will cook when reheated.
Mum to two wee boys
tamiem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:48pm
Okay... this is going to be a long one...
We save lots of money by growing our own veges. Luckily we have a big garden, but you don't really need that much space to grow a few basics - even put them in your normal garden or in pots. Easy to grow: lettuce, brocolli, capsicum, tomatoes, beans, peas, strawberries, corn etc.Potatoes, zucchini, pumpkin - also easy but require more room. We don't even really bother spraying - just plant, water and weed! If you are new to gardening, either go to your local garden centre and ask them what to plant (you can plant some things during winter - depending on frosts, but maybe wait until early Spring), or buy NZ Gardener HOMEGROWN - it's about $11 and is a whole mag about how to grow your own veges and has recipes too. There is also a system called "square foot" gardens - where everything grows in one square foot - your bound to find something on google!

We froze and preserved heaps of homegrown tomatoes, capsicums & beans this year, so will be cheaper than buying during winter. Some tomatoes I bottled/froze whole, others made into easy pasta sauce (cook onion & garlic, add chopped tomatoes (roughly chop in food processor - don't even bother peeling or seeding) and cook. Add herbs, capsicum, bacon etc as needed.

Also you can freeze milk, bread & butter etc when they are on special.

Hope these ideas help!!!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Hey nzpiper where is the butcher you go to? I am sorting out the freezer today so I can bulk buy some meat and freeze it and I like the idea of going free range/organic.

I go to the one in Beckenham. Cant rememember the name but it is on Colombo st right before the tennyson st turn.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

we are adding pulses to our stews - more fibre and cheaper. Healthy Fod mag has ideas for cutting food bills by $50.

Do u mean the dried pea things or the canned c hickpeas and beans or what? Lol! Sorry I have no clue! We do use the dried soup mix packets to add to homemade soup or stew, but would be cheaper to get the generic brands and make my own mix I think?
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:40pm
Yay feeling good,..have made some good changes already! Have looked at how much food we watse,..and worked out ways not to. I have just frozen : green peppers (I got from a framers market yesterday for.50c each), left over celery (that I would have usually chucked in the bin in a day or 2), got 4 x .98c brocolli to blance and freeze, plus corgettes and beans.

I have a meatloaf in the oven which was full of fresh vege from the framers market,..and will be heaps for dinner and lunches for mon and maybe tues!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:57pm
Does anyone know how to dry apples and pears in the oven? I know that u can, you slice thinly and place on tray and bake at 50 degress,..but how long? These will make great snacks for Isla,..and pears are cheap at the mo and will last a while when dried!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:41pm
Pulses - I sometimes add dried red lentils to bulk it up, but chickpeas etc are all good. I try to buy my beans uncanned and cook them up, though I have read that because MAF now radiates them all on arrival in NZ (to stop sprouting), they don't cook up as well.
Mum to two wee boys
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 3:18pm
Where do u buy uncanned beans that u talking about? Are they cheaper that way? DH hates the bakes bean/ chilli bean/bean salad type of beans, so ideas on how to include other types of pulses into stuff and where/how to buy would be great!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 3:20pm
I add red lentils and brown lentils too. i buy them from the bulk bin as well as soup mix and it works out pretty cheap/
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 4:02pm
cool thanks Liz!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:37am
I get them from the fruit and vege shops - they have a bigger range than Foodtown's bulk bins.
Mum to two wee boys
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:41am
Kellz... I can remember my sister drying apples and pears in the oven when I was a teenager. They tasted really good, but I also recall my parents going ballistic when they received the powerbill. It takes a long time to dry them sufficiently, so I doubt it would be cost-effective to do it yourself compared with buying them already dried from the bulk bins.

For using pulses etc, the Alison Holst Meals without Meat cookbook is great. I often add a bit of meat (bacon is good) to the recipes.
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:58pm
Thanks for the recipe Flissty and for all the other ideas on here everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>