FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBulking out family meals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulking out family meals?
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:35pm
OK so I nearly died of fright when it cost me $15 for mince for ONE meal today! Granted it did have to feed 2 adults, a hungry teenager and three sprats, and the rest of the meal (canned tomatoes, Dolmio and pasta) were cheap, but it just seemed so expensive!

So, how do you bulk out family meals? Fiona suggested kidney beans which I will definitely try, and as mentioned I added 2 cans of tomatoes, a jar of Dolmio and a large capsicum, plus plenty of pasta which is only $1.80 for a 1kg bag of Homebrand, but what else can you suggest?

And not just mince suggestions: stews, casseroles etc. as well.

I do use pasta a lot to bulk out meals, eg. I make a tuna pasta bake from a Maggi sachet using the recommended amount of tuna and other ingredients but double the pasta.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:40pm
We usually bulk out our meals with certain veges. Spuds are good and filling so are carrots. So if we make a meal and it looks like its not quite enough to fill us (say a stir fry) we just carrot.
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:57pm
I put kumura, carrot and pumpkin into casseroles to bulk them out. Sometimes I use a can of chickpeas.
I also use kidney beans or the spicy mexican beans with mince.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:00pm
Yeah carrots are great with spag bol.

My mum puts baked beans in with cottage pies and thats really yummy.
I love broad beans and put them in casseroles/stews etc. I even eat them with roast dinners.
Butter beans and kidney beans, any type of bean really.
Lentils are good for bulking stuff up too.

Serve them more pasta and less mince

Edited by cuppatea

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:05pm

Any vege will do.

When I do mince and pasta for me and the boys we have carrots, courgettes, capiscum, brocolli, cauli.

You could always add some rice.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:47pm
Beef casseroles:
Lentils
Carrots
Potatoes
Kumara
Onion
Mushroom
(use beer in the sauce..mmmmm)

Mince:
Tomato (I used tinned)
Onion
Mushroom
Red Kidney Beans
(top with pancake topping and your kids won't notice the vegetables in the mince! Sounds odd but is cheap and tastes great)

I tend to use more vegetables as I'm not a starchy carbs fan hence dislike too much pasta etc.

Also, try starting the meal with some soup as then you need less of the main course. Homemade soup is so cheap and easy.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:57pm
i have some red lentils that i am going to start adding to my stews and soups...

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:01pm
Red lentils are great. I use them heaps, esp with Elle's pumpkin etc. I also tend to thicken sauces etc with oatbran rather than flour...gives a nice texure and taste.

Brown lentils are good in beef casseroles.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:10pm
oh, maybe you can give me some tips on what to do with my lentils then fiona. i am not too sure about them as not something i've used before.

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:15pm
Ahhh yes. Well that is the great thing about them. Just biff them in at the start of cooking (when adding the liquid). In the case of soup, by the time the soup is ready you can be assured the lentils are cooked. Easy!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:18pm
So you don't need to soak them?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:21pm
Nope, not red lentils.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:27pm
I agree with adding potatoes, kumara and carrot. They bulk out meals.
I make a Chilli Con Carne with about 300g mince, 1 tin of tomatoes (usually the italian flavour) and a tin of the watties mild salsa beans. This feeds DH and I for 2 nights and somes times there is still some left. The first night I put it with rice and veges and the 2nd night I make it into a shepards pie or lasagne.
I always find a vege soup in winter good as it is quite filling and pretty cheap to make. We often have a bowl of soup and toast and then if we are still hungry something simple like eggs on toast
Lindsey

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:38pm
I add beans.....to everything, spag bol...add beans, burritos..of course, casseroles...add beans.
Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:46pm
When I'm making the likes of Spag Bol I grate some carrots and corgettes and put them into it, cant really taste them but it bulks it out quite a bit
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 8:28am

Yeah man, when baked beans are on special, stock up!  I add lots of veges to everything, but that said, it's not a cheaper way of eating really, is it.  If it's value for money I'm after I'll make something I can serve on a big bed of rice. 

Andie
grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 11:02am
I find grated carrot can fill out most things without adding to much flavour. If you do a mince dish then adding some carrot when you brown the onion means that the carrot takes on more of the onion and stock flavour. My partner had no idea that I was filling it out cause it looks a bit like mince and tastes just like it if you put it in early
Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:10pm
I use red lentils too in my mince dishes. I use potato's a lot too. You can make some really nice potato dishes cheap and they're very filling (i.e. baked stuffed, potato au gratin, roasted potato cubes sprinkled with herbs)

I also add grated carrot & frozen spinach to most stews and mince meals (mainly to get extra vitamins and minerals into my DH).
Kelpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 5:16pm
Yes def grated carrots or courgette and frozen spinach here...have just started adding baked beans to things too much to Paiges disgust but figured since going to be five of us soon I need to get into the habit of this bulking up business too!

pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:08pm
Shredded newspaper or dog food is good for bulking things up.. hubby has never noticed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>