FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCooking a whole chook in crockpot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooking a whole chook in crockpot
    Posted: 12 September 2008 at 10:05pm
I know it's been done, but I've never tried it. I think I read in the crockpot thread somewhere that you add soy for color? Anything else? And how long do I cook it for? It's a sz 20 with stuffing.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 6:55am
not sure how long but i normally just chuck mine in in the morning, its normally a frozen smaller chicken and by the time i get home from work its perfect. I dont add anything special but sometimes i put in sweet chilli sauce or some garlic just to change the flavour.
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 8:03am
Yip I add about a tablespoon of soy for colour and chuck some quatered onion in there with some garlic cloves as well. Put it on in the morning andit is falling apart and delicious come tea time.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 8:56pm
Thanks ladies! On low or on auto?

I thought I might chuck the spuds in too with some whole garlic cloves.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 8:56am
I've done it and its beautiful and tender but doesn't brown up. I can't remember what size chicken but I put them in before I leave for work (about 8am) then we eat at 6pm. It's always so tender it falls apart when I try to lift it out. I put mine on low.

If you do vege's they need to go at the bottom and be cut up small. Roast veges aren't that nice in the crockpot actually. They sort of steam rather than bake.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 9:30am
so you just put a chook in? no water or anything?

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 12:30pm
Yep - just a chook. I tried putting water or stock in the first time I did it but it went a bit soggy. The chicken makes its own juices.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 1:44pm
according to Alison Holst her recipe for a stuffed size 18 chook is High for 5-6 hours, so I guess longer on Auto and longer still on Low.
and spray the pot with non-stick spray so it doesn't stick

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 8:01pm
Mmmmmm, it was yummy! I didn't put the spuds in coz they wouldn't fit lol, the chook was too big, so I roasted them in the oven. I just put a splash of soy sauce over the chook, some whole garlic cloves and some halved onions and it was tasty!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 11:36am
Oh yum, never thought of cooking my chook this way. I quite often roast a chicken for other things like sandwiches or chicken bakes but have to do it on a Sunday. Love your thinking ladies!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 11:48am
I really really want a slow cooker!
Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 11:58am
oooooooo a whole chicken! I thought you could do that but DH said it would be too dry.... obviously it makes a pretty damn moist chicken! Might try!
Can you cook roast lamb or beef in them too?

Angel baby - May 2008
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 1:54pm
I haven't tried lamb but have done beef and pork and both were good. The beef tastes more like pot roast than oven roasted.
Daizy01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 4:46pm
You can cook almost anything in a crockpot. Lamb, beef or pork roasts. I cook whole chickens all the time. I usually cook a bigger one which does us for lunches the next day or if not lunches stir fry the next night for dinner. I sometimes spray the chicken with a little bit of cooking oil and sprinkle dried herbs or anything similar over the top. You can really use your imagination with a crockpot. I certainly would be without mine.

PS Lamb shanks are beautiful done in the crockpot.
2 ICSI Cycles (Both BFN)
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 12:16pm
I have a slow cooker and I am not very good at using it!
My house is not a fan of casseroles....and I have NO recipes for anything else.

This morning I have put a whole chook, some onion and some soy sauce in it....wish me luck!

Daizy01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 2:20pm
Good for you, Shorty. Good luck.
2 ICSI Cycles (Both BFN)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 2:30pm
Good luck! Willie was impressed, hope your lot are too...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:10pm
mmm just eating mine now.
My boy managed to eat most of it without spitting it out after sucking all the juice!
DH even said how moist it was....heaps left over too...looking forward to my sandwich tomorrow!

Need to look into other options, not worth doing the casserole when I am the only one that eats them.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:07pm
shorty you can do desserts in the crockpot too...

and i make porridge in mine...

i googled puddings and got recipes for chocolate pudding, bread and butter pudding, tapioca pudding... to name a few...

here, i'll give you a recipe.

A gooey version of chocolate pudding cake from the slow cooker.
Ingredients:
1 package chocolate cake mix (any 2-layer size)
2 cups sour cream
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding (any size)
1 small bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. oil
4 eggs
1 c. water
Preparation:
Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients together. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours Try not to lift the lid. Serve with ice cream.

Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 1:42pm
oh my gosh that looks divine! I have printed it, might have to give it a go, thanks mate!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>