FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMedsafe may ban import of Indian medicine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LizzyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizzyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medsafe may ban import of Indian medicine
    Posted: 18 September 2008 at 3:04pm
Quote from Stuff website
"The precautionary measure, discussed at a press conference this afternoon, came after the Indian manufacturer failed a safety audit.

Three of the medicines are publically funded - including children's antibiotic Amoxicillin.

But Medsafe said there were no concerns about the medicines themselves and current users should continue taking the medication.

This follows a US ban of 30 generic drugs including popular antibiotics and cholesterol medicines made by India's drug giant Ranbaxy Laboratories. The ban follows concern over poor quality in two of its factories.

The US Food and Drug Administration says consumers who already have the drugs should not worry: Repeated testing has not found any contamination, and Ranbaxy can continue selling medicines made at any of its other factories.

The showdown instead is over what the FDA said Tuesday is Ranbaxy's failure to correct significant manufacturing problems that could lead to subpotent drugs, allergic reactions or other problems.

And the move also may affect a US program sending Aids drugs to Africa, as Ranbaxy is a leading supplier." end quote from stuff website

My Little miss has just finished a course of this!! what is happening in the world, first the formulae in china now this!

Edited by LizzyJ
Sponsored Links

shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 6:36pm
Alyssa is taking Amoxycillin made by Ranbaxy at the moment . God I hate things like this the advise at the moment is to keep taking it as they have had no problems with it in recent audits.......BUT I will be watching all the news items on this and keeping up with the latest on the internet.
Mum to Natasha Aroha 9/12/1995, Alexandra Makareta Waimarie 22/4/1998 and....Alyssa Frances Hopaea 18/03/2007

[/url]
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 7:06pm
Taine is on that too for an ear infection. scary. scarier that i rang a pharmacy to decide whether to keep taking the drug and they knew nothing about it.
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:34pm

Oli has just finished a bottle....I hate that they havent really said what the risks / issues are, which just makes us all worry (prob un-neccesarily).

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:59pm
Gremlins have both just finished a 10 day course as well after their grommets ops and I take Cefaclor pretty much every time I get an infection as it's a broad spectrum alternative to penicillin altho granted I don't get sick often so don't often take it.

I agree with Sam tho, it sucks that they haven't said what the actual risks are.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 9:33pm
have read that this ban is related to just ONE of the many factories that made these drugs, so (cross fingers) the ones we have used, are actually competely safe. hope they can tell us more soon
 Post Reply Post Reply