FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>
Author
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Originally posted by Mum2Ella Mum2Ella wrote:

I also thought it was really good that the last OHbaby mag had an article about extended b/f. It is something that is not really talked about that much, and when I was pregnant it never ever occured to me that nearly 1 1/2 years later I would still be b/feeding Ella.

I love it when I ask Ella is she wants some milk and she gets all excited and starts gathering together all of her soft toys so they can sit on her lap while having her feed

lol, Charlotte does they same, gets her dolls and she claps her hands and sings with delight! Juice! juice! then she will often pull off and give me a milky grin, pat my boob and go Juuuiiiccceee!! SO cute!

Lol Caprece calls it juice too, I love how their eyes roll back and they relax so much in your arms
Sponsored Links

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 9:25pm
Caleb is still BF but only morning and night. He gets too distracted when we are out to BF and is happy to drink water out of his sippy bottle anyway.

DP used to ask all the time when I was going to stop but I think he's given up now. He can see how much Caleb loves cuddling up to me first thing in the morning for a feed to want to take it away from him perhaps.

I've never had any negative comments about extended breastfeeding but then most of my friends and family have kids that have all been breastfeed so I don't expect any negative comments.
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 9:57pm
I still fed Coop at night, I love it, it's our time together and I'm pretty sure we're both not ready to give it up!

I'm the last in my coffee group to still BF, but they are all really supportive.

Ladies at work ask all the time how long I'm going to feed for and they all get my standard response "till he's 5" just to shut them up!

DH's grandma was over for tea tonight and didn't believe me when i said I was going to feed Coop. She didn't think I could still make milk after so long!
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 10:13pm
Lol, I say I'm going to go to school and push my titties through the fence, that gets a laugh or 3 (and a few really???? looks, lol) I'm aiming for hopefully no longer than 2.5...
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Lol, I say I'm going to go to school and push my titties through the fence

ROLF - I love it!

I bf Ollie til he was 16mths (he was ff during the day as I was working full-time and couldn't keep up with expressing). I wanted to keep going, but was about 5mths pregnant and it was hurting too much. I cried the day that he asked for it and I told him no .

I plan to bf Lily for as long as she'll take it up to around the 2.5yr mark. This time around when I returned to work I was better prepared to keep expressing and so far I'm proud to say we haven't had to use formula yet. I'm lucky in that I have a supportive DH (though I'm sure he'd love to have my boobs to himself). Also I haven't had any comments about still breastfeeding - or maybe I just haven't noticed ...

Edited by mummydee
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 11:43pm
Wow, you are doing an amazing job keeping up with the bfing!

I love bfing, I really do. Keira was fed up untill 18 months and probably plan to do it about the same with Maddi. Its going to be a sad day when I have to stop.

With Keira I had never even thought of giving her formula so she was only ever breastfed untill 1 and then we slowly introduced cows milk. By that stage I decided it was easier to just feed at home as she would never sit still enough for me to keep discrete. By about 18 months we were down to just one 'comfort' feed at 4am and it was getting tiring not being able to have a full night sleep. One morning I just decided not to feed her and she went back to sleep and never woke for it again.
If I even mention the fact she used to feed from me now she gets all grossed out and embarrassed.

It was great for loosing all that extra pregnancy weight too, just a shame I ended up loosing my boobs as well

pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 4:08pm
I'm hoping to BF longer than a year this time. Unfortunately I fell and broke my ankle very badly when DD was 11 months old and required surgery, I still managed to do 1 year and 2 weeks but my milk supply dropped off very quickly and DD couldn't be bothered with it any more adn I wasn't ready for her to stop.

Oh and I put DD straight onto cows milk once she stopped BF, if your child is eating well then there's no need really to fork out for follow on formula. Saying that normal milk is bloody expensive these days.

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 8:09pm
*bump*
Charlotte likes to get up on my knee at the moment and "assume the position" lol.
I'm thinking about weaning, have been for a bit, on and off. Part of me would finish tomorrow if she would have a bar of it, but (the bigger) part of me wants to do it forever, then she is still my baby....
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 9:17pm
I so know how you feel Annie, for me the actual feeling is still slightly uncomfortable and I have never really loved that time but her love and the benefits for her have always outweighed it. Sometimes I think it would be lovely to wean tomorrow but then theres part of me who can imagine feeding her for another year or so
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 8:23pm
good thread girls!

I'm still feeding Anyssa, and for the last couple of weeks we've been down to just morning and night. She hasn't missed her lunchtime feed at all.

I'm not sure when I'll cut another feed down, but at the moment I'm happy to carry on like this I'm wearing normal bras and can wear anything I like without having to worry about boob access - that is great. I'm also still losing weight without dieting or doing much exercise, so I think the bf is helping.

On the advice of MonicaMouse I've decided to continue to "go with the flow" about how long to feed. She still loves it first thing in the morn, but is sometimes more interested in her books before bed, so I'll take her lead.

Very cute about the bubbas that get their toys to snuggle in for a feed!

DP would probably prefer if we stopped bf soon. He thinks it is a bit "sick" when we're all in our bed in the morning and she lifts up my PJs and latches herself on.

ETA- Its good to have this support here - most of my coffee group seems to be weaning just because everyone else is, and it seems to be the norm. I've just read "what to expect, the toddler years (the 12mth section) and it strongly advocates stopping bf at 12 mths, but the reasons it gives are very unconvincing!

Edited by DJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 11:38pm
Why in the hell would a "book" advocate stopping??? Not when who reccomends for at least 2 years!!! Dumb!!!
What reasons did it give? Would love to laugh at them, lol.
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 9:07am
OK here goes. Heavily paraphrased coz it's long:

From pages 31-32, What to expect, the toddler years:
1If you don't initiate weaning, your child will be rushing home from school for a snack at the boobie

2.Most paediatricians recommend weaning at a year because:
a) the child has already gotten optimum benefit from bf, and will be easier to wean at one than 2
b) milk cannot meet nutritional needs alone
c) milk pooling in the mouth can cause tooth decay
d) reduces appetite for solids
e)mothers spend so much time bfing that they forget to play games with child etc
f) feeding lying down causes ear infections
g)toddler and mother become overdependant on each other (and cut Dad out of the picture)
h) baby won't learn to self-comfort (from hurt etc) if they are used to getting boobie
i) effect on spousal relationship - it says that bf may satisfy your emotional and physical need for closeness and deminish your interest in sex

I've run out of time for a response to all that, but "whatever" pretty much sums it up....
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 3:26pm
That actually really annoys me what stupid reasons.
monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 3:42pm
That is appalling!
Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 4:30pm
Oh Im still feeding....Lycan is nearly 2.5 years..i think i'll just keep going till he doesn't want it anymore...hopefully that will be by the time he is 3 years old.....although i must say having him still on the boobie at the moment is a god send. Peyton is only 3 weeks old and when they are full and she's a sleep i get Lycan to relief the pressure....IYKWIM.

My partner encourages me to BF as long as possible. He's a strong believer in if you can do then do it as long as you can or till your child weens itself off.....

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:51pm

OMG I can't believe someone would write those stupid reasons. At first I thought they were just funny, but now I am actually really annoyed, coz some people are going to read the book and actually believe what the author is saying.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:43pm
Cluck cluck cluck little Peyton is a cutey! What a great name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by DJ DJ wrote:

OK here goes. Heavily paraphrased coz it's long:

From pages 31-32, What to expect, the toddler years:
1If you don't initiate weaning, your child will be rushing home from school for a snack at the boobie

2.Most paediatricians recommend weaning at a year because:
a) the child has already gotten optimum benefit from bf, and will be easier to wean at one than 2
b) milk cannot meet nutritional needs alone
c) milk pooling in the mouth can cause tooth decay
d) reduces appetite for solids
e)mothers spend so much time bfing that they forget to play games with child etc
f) feeding lying down causes ear infections
g)toddler and mother become overdependant on each other (and cut Dad out of the picture)
h) baby won't learn to self-comfort (from hurt etc) if they are used to getting boobie
i) effect on spousal relationship - it says that bf may satisfy your emotional and physical need for closeness and deminish your interest in sex

I've run out of time for a response to all that, but "whatever" pretty much sums it up....

What a load of cockamamie! Is it an american book???
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 2:07pm
OMG I cant believe that is in a publisehed book. I have read lots of things in parenting books that I dont really agree with for myself and my child but OMG that is INSANE.
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 4:25pm
Yeah, it is an American book (this is the Australian addition). It is 1994, so the latest version might be different. The book is part of the "What to expect when you're expecting" series.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>