FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 36>
Author
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 8:39am
Nic, I think it depends on the person when your milk changes. DD started acting like my milk was yuck before I'd even missed a period (about 3.5 weeks pg) - it was her odd behaviour and the excrutiating latch pain that made me do the test in the first place. She got quite sick when I was about 9 weeks pg and drank lots anyway, but you could tell she didnt' really like it cos she'd switch sides repeatedly until she'd tasted each side 3 or so times and then seem to think "fine, they are both yuck, so this one will do"

For her she got less and less interested, but I think with effort I could have kept her drinking for a fair bit longer (although I was happy for her to wean once I was UTD).
Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 10:48am
Ah! Ok! - DD did that whole trying each side multiple times and going 'Fine this will clearly HAVE to do!' thing when my supply really dropped. I am so glad it doesn't hurt any more! I never experienced any or much paid while BFing so it was a bit of an eye opener. I had sore nipples at the start but it was fine and the raynauds too but it was manageable too.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 3:01pm
So I've just been reading "the womanly art of breastfeeding" which states "your child may wean himself early in the pregnancy when a few little ones notice a taste change in the milk, or he may stop nursing around the fourth month when some women notice a reduction in the milk supply. He may even wean toward the end of pregnancy when the milk changes to colostrum...."

It then goes on to say "in a study of 503 La Leche League members who became pregnant while still nursing, researchers found that 69% of their babies weaned at some time during the pregnancy. Of course, there was no way to know how many of these little ones would have weaned if their mothers had not of been pregnant."

I have been using breastpads again, thanks for the suggestions girls, it does seem to ease the pain between feeds, but it's still pretty painful, but bearable, so we will persist.
DS is still feeding heaps so at this stage it certainly doesn't seem he'll wean anytime soon, which I am so glad about.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 4:43pm
MamaT- I read that sentence in my copy of Womanly Art too....didn't happen here lol
Clodagh never gave up the urge to BF while I was pg. At about 5 months we were pretty much down to 1 night feed a day as I'm sure I dried up almost totally. Pretty painful btw BUT she kept on going and hasn't stopped lol. In fact her BF has UPPED since Scarlett's birth and they feed about the same amount. Or as many times iykwim?

1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:16pm
Oh I love the comment

"he loves his milky cuddles soooo much and I actually wouldn't have a clue how to parent him without it, breastfeeding is my cure everything tool"

My DS is exactly the same and I feel the same as you!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 8:44am
Karen, I can very much see that being Lily! I can't get my hands anywhere near my boobs while feeding of she flips out and gets upset! So I imagine if she was still feeding and I had another that she would be in there feeding too or pushing the baby out! She does not like sharing her mama!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 10:45pm
Still BFing, 18 months on Sat! Can't believe we've made it this far! She's pretty random with her feeding. About 1-2x a day (always before bed) although sometimes it can be 5+ (with the snow it was) and other days it can be a 2 day gap!
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 8:39am
Well done Nic on hitting 18 months! You might as well keep going till kindy now
We're still tandem feeding and I can't see Clodagh wanting to wean anytime soon. She BF's at least 3 times a day, more if I let her lol

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 10:48am
How often are your toddlers feeding? We are heading towards 12 months and feeding 3 times a day and once or twice sometimes at night it varies.

I had thought I'd wean around Christmas given the winter we've had I want to continue thru till next winter no idea of what to expect with demand etc

I don't do things the Plunket way

[/url]

Angel June 2012
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 12:07pm
Lucas is having 2-3 feeds a day...will soon be down to 1-2 a day and no over night feeds.

I am slowly weaning him off his feed before bed seems to be going well...he does cry when I put him to bed but lasts less than 5 minutes.

he will be 21 months on the 30th :)

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 12:37pm
Hmm well I think my boy is a little boob/milk junkie, he has anywhere from 10-12 feeds in a 24 hour period, usually 3-4 overnight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 5:16pm
Wow MamaT how long does he feed for each time?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 5:54pm
Um anywhere from 3 or so minutes to 20mins, usually at least 10mins each time

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 6:25pm

Tom (16 mths) has a min of 4 feeds over a 24 hr period- 1st around 5am, then after breakfast, just before midday nap and feed before bed at night. I can't see him dropping any feeds any time soon.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 6:50pm
Mum2ET was your daughter different? I have heard boys tend to want to feed longer.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 7:04pm

nope she was exactly the same. Had 4 feeds until I weaned her at 2.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 8:14pm
I feed mostly at night now. And I'm talkin 2-7 times a night Lol but some days he might feed once or twice thru the day.

I'm loving still breastfeeding. I have had nothing but praises about it. DS had his first dose of anti biotics 2weeks ago and my doc was impressed he had got to 16 months without ever needing them. I said I liked to think that was thanks to breastfeeding and he said absolutely, well done!
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 8:17pm
My DS is 18 months and LOVES his boobie :-) He would have it all day long if I let him :-) At the moment he gets fed when he wakes up in the morning, sometimes after his nap if he is cranky, and before bed. However he can go without the morning and the after nap feed if someone else is looking after him (ie his Dad), doesn't bother him.

Problem is, he has been sick for MONTHS (about six!) on and off, so I have also been feeding him in the night as it is a great settling tool. (Btw so much for bm helping with immunity!!!) However, he is now getting well again and I would like to cut the one or two times back to see if that will stop him waking (am not holding out too much hope though ;-)).

I'm just not sure how to go about it? Last time I just sent my hubby in and it was sorted in a few nights. But now he is so much more aware and also knows exactly what he wants. If my hubby goes in he screams bloody murder and cries mama mama mama, which is heartbreaking. So I am going to have to do it. But if I don't feed him he screams and points to the chair and will not let me settle him in any other way.

Also I think I would like to have him weaned by the end of the year. I had hoped he would do it of his own accord but I don't think so! Anyone got any tips? I am doing the don't offer/don't refuse as it is during the day but it is the evening boobie before bed that I'm most unsure about.

TIA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 8:27pm
I had thought to wean at the end of the year when DD will be 14 months after a run of viral illness I'm keen to keep going beyond next winter and wean her at 2 if she doesn't wean herself before can't see that happening I love the calming and soothing effect of being able to offer her the boob when she's upset or sick.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 9:34pm
DD still feeds about 4/5 times a day and 2/3 times overnight. I love being able to just give her a boobie to calm her down or have som quiet time. We will def be continuing until she wants to finish, no matter what anyone else says. I think im a great role model to my teenage cousins as they get to see DD being BF'd regularly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 36>