FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfudge to make for xmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fudge to make for xmas
    Posted: 24 November 2008 at 5:14pm
Found some lovely indulgent fudges to try out as pressies for xmas this year so thought i'd share them with you in case anyone liked the idea

These recipes use vanilla chips, which are much like those cute little rainbow chocolate drops but are made from vanilla candy. Most supermarkets sell them or i think you might be able to get them from spotlight and cake decorating places. Some have glucose syrup in them which is a form of sugar used to make sweets - available from supermarkets.

**CANDY CANE FUDGE**
560g vanilla baking chips
1 (14ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
3ml peppermint extract
360gm crushed candy canes
1 dash red or green food colouring

Line and 8 inch square baking pan with aluminium foil and grease the foil
combine the vanilla chips and condensed milk in a suacepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until almost melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until smooth. When chips are completely melted, stir in the peppermint extract, food colouring and candy canes.
Spread evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan, this looks really effective if at this point you drop a few drops of food colouring on the top and swirl them in like a candy cane effect.
Chill for 2 hours then cut into squares with a hot knife.

**COOKIES AND CREAM FUDGE**
16 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, broken into chunks ( then divide into 2 lots)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
30g butter of marg
680 gms vanilla chips
5ml vanilla essence

Line 8in square baking pan with foil and grease the foil. Place half of the broken cookies in the pan spread evenly.
In a heavy saucepan, combine milk butter and vanilla chips. Cook and stir over low heat until the chips are melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Pour over cookies int he pan. Sprinkle with remaining cookies. cover and refridgerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares with a hot knife.

**TRADITIONAL CHOCOLATE FUDGE**
2 cups sugar
25g butter
half a cup of milk
2 tablespoons cocoa (can be halved for less intense flavour)
Half a teaspoon vanilla essence

combine all ingredients in a saucepan EXCEPT vanilla essence
gently bring to light boil and stir very very occasionally (i use very low heat, our elements go from 0 - 8 and i tend to use the 2 -4 setting).
After about 20 minutes start testing the fudge by dropping a little into a glass of cold water, if it forms a soft ball then it is ready (ie when you remove the fudge frm the water it chould keep its shape a little but be easily squished)
Remove from heat, add vanilla essence and leave for 5 minutes.
Beat witha wooden spoon until thick, the colour should lighten a little and the mixture will loose it's glossiness.

Pour into greased baking pan and leave to set. Cut once set with a heated knife.

**CREAMY CARAMEL FUDGE**
2 x 395gm cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cups firmly packed brown suger
250gms butter chopped
A third of a cup liquid glucose
A quarter of a cup of golden syrup
400gm good-quality white cooking chocolate - chopped

Grease a 3.5cm deep, 16.5 x 26cm (base) slab pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both ends.

Place condensed milk, sugar, butter glucose and golden syrup in a large (14cup capacity) heatproof, mircowave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered on medium-high for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring with a baloon-whisk every 2 minutes every 2 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil.
Microwave, uncovered on medium-high for a further 5 - 6 minutes, stirring every minute with a wooden spoon, or until thick and golden.
Place bowl on a board, stand for 2 minutes or until bubbles subside . Add white chocolate. Stir until choclate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour hot fudge mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Stand at room temperature for 3 hours. then refridgerate until firm. Lift out onto a board, cut into squares.

(you can make this fudge ahead, wrap in wax paper and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.)

**CREAMY CHOCOLATE FUDGE**
3 cups sugar
3/4 of a cup creamy evaporated milk
100gm butter
1 packet Allens marshmellows
1 teaspoon vanila essence
1 packet NESTLE dark melts

line a 20 cm square baking tin with foil or baking paper

combine sugar, evaporated milk and butter in a medium-sized, heavy based saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil stirring for 8 minutes. Remove from heat

Add marshmellows and vanilla essence, stirring until melted. Add the neslte dark melts, stirring until the chocolate melts. Quickly pour into tin and smooth the top.

Once fudge is cool and set, cut into small bars with a hot knife. Refridgerate before serving.

**WHITE CHOCLATE LIQUER FUDGE**

1 x 395gm can sweetened condensed milk
200gm (1 cup) firmly packed brown sugar
125 gm butter, cubed
2 tablespoons liquid glucose
100gm white chocolate (like Nestle milkybar brand) roughly chopped
85gm (3/4 cup) walnut halves roughly chopped
30ml Baileys liquer

Brush an 18cm square cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper allowing the paper to overhang the sides.
Combine the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter and glucose in a 2-litre capacity heatproof microwave safe glass jug or bowl.
Cook uncovered on Medium-high using a balloon whisk to stir every 2 minutes, for 6 - 8 minutes or until the mixture begins to boil.
Continue to cook on Medium-high stirring every minute for 3 -4 minutes or until the mixture is thick, golden and boils rapidly.
With a tea-towel/oven mitt very carefully place the jug on a board and set aside for 1 minute or until the bubbles subside.
Add the white chocolate and use a wooden spoon to stir continuously until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smoth. Stir in the walnuts and liquer and mix well.
Spoon the mixture evenly into the pan. Set aside for 2 hours to cool to room temperature and become firm.
Remove from pan, wrap in greasproof or non-stick baking paper and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

**RUSSIAN FUDGE**
1/2 a cup of milk
3 cups sugar
1/2 a tin of sweetened condensed milk
4oz of butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablspoon golden syrup

Heat mil and sugar in a saucepan. Ass condensed milk, butter, golden syrup and salt. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Beat until thick and pour into a greased tin. Cut up when set. (vanilla and nuts may be added if desired)

**VANILLA FUDGE**
1/2 a cup of butter
2 &1/2 cups sugar
5oz Evaporated milk
12 oz white choc chips
2 cups mini marshmellows
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Line a 20cm square pan with aluminium foil, set aside.
Place white chips, vanilla and marshmellows in a large saucepan or heatproof bowl and set aside.
Heat milk at medium setting until warm then add sugar. Bring to a rolling boil (medium high) stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
Continue to boil for 8 full minutes... do not exceed 9 minutes boiling time. Remove from heat and add butter, stir until dissolved for approx 30 seconds.
Pour hot mixture over the white chips, vanilla and marshmellows without scraping the sides of the saucepan (or you'll get crusty stuff in the fudge)
Mix until all melted thoroughly, pour into pan.

Cool at room temp, chill in fridge prior to cutting with a hot knife.
Remove from pan, remove foil and then cut.

**RUM AND RAISIN CHOCOLATE FUDGE **
60 ml (1/4 cup) rum
95 gms (1/2 cup) raisins
400gm dark choc, coarsely chopped
1 x 395gm can sweetened condensed milk
50 gm unsalted butter

Line a 20cm square cake pan with non stick baking paper. combine rum and raisins in a small bowl and set aside for 1 hours to macerate.

Place the chocolate, condensed milk and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.

Stir in the raisin mixture. Spoon into the lined pan and use the back of spoon to smooth the surface. Set aside to cool., Place in the fridge overnight to set.

Cut into squares.

**BAILEYS CHOCLATE FUDGE **
Melted butter to grease tin
1x 395gm can sweetened condensed milk
100gm butter, cubed
255gm (1 1/4 cups firmly packed) brown sugar
2 tablespoons glucose syrup
150gm good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
60 mls (1/4 cup) Baileys original irish cream liquer

Brush 20cm square cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick bakng paper, allow overhang.

Combine condensed milk, butter, sugar, and glucose syrup in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir over a medium-low heat for 3 mins or until sugar idssolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens, turns a caramel colour and leaves the side of the pan. Remove from heat.

Add the chocolate and liquer, stir until choclate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth surface. Set aside for 1 hour to cool, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour until firm.

Remove from pan using paper to help lift. Use a sharp knife to cut into pieces.

***SOFT CHOCOLATE FUDGE***
250 g whipping cream
190 g sugar
175 g glucose syrup
20 g butter
250 g dark chocolate

Combine the whipping cream, sugar and glucose in a pot. Cook on low heat until it reaches the soft-ball stage (when a small amount dropped into very cold water a soft ball should form that is easily squished when removed)
Remove from heat, add the butter and the pieces of dark chocolate. Mix well.
Pour into a greased lined tin and let cool.
Cut into small pieces.

*****ENJOY*****

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:45pm
what is the purpose of marshmallows in fudge when its melted?

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:30pm

Janine they are so bad!!!!

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:38pm
I've made the one with marshmellows its delicious, soft and gooey in the centre, yum yum!

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Kazzle Kazzle wrote:

what is the purpose of marshmallows in fudge when its melted?

It helps it to set
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:52pm
haha, oooh there's more to come becks.
I have discovered the joys of fudge making, much to the dismay of my hips.

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:01pm

Yum! great pressie ideas (if I don't eat it all first)- will definitely be giving the cookies & cream fudge a go!

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 5:19pm
ohhh boy everyones gonna get fat over christmas on this end...lol

not only am i doing fudge, gonna try my hand a homemade chocolates and christmas cookies

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 7:55pm
Yeah I am planning on digging out some of my other choccy moulds and doing some of them too, might even try my hand at doing some yummy fillings. I think i added a recipe a while back for home made fondant choccies in the recipe section if anyone is looking for that sort of thing.

gemsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 9:22am
Oh my, I can feel the calories packing on just reading those recipes.......yum. Will have to try some.
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 3:24pm
Yum, thanks for the recipes

~ What is a rolling boil?? (Creamy choc fudge)

Little Angel, April 10
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 6:11pm
**bumpity bump**
someone pm'd me where I got my fudge recipes from, thanks Janine

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 1:08pm
MMM just made the baileys choc fudge for a take a plate thing it was very well recived lots of the group were asking for the recipie!
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 2:08pm
bump for me

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 2:34pm
Legend Weegee and Janine! Will be using these!!
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 2:58pm
YUM! iv been hunting for fudgy type recipes for xmas gifts. Think the candy cane one might be the one. cheers!
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 9:33am
YUM! just what I was looking for thanks Janine
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 11:12am
Oh yummy, thanks Janine have been looking for fudge to make.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 3:46pm
nom nom nom - just made a double batch of each of the cookies and cream and creamy chocolate recipes. Will let you know how they turn out!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 4:00pm
where did you get the vanilla chips from? am i just being blind at the supermarket?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>