FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeetbix for Breakfast..???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weetbix for Breakfast..???
    Posted: 25 April 2009 at 3:03pm
Your advice would be appreciated..

My DD is a pretty good little eater and so I started to find Farex too expensive for her breakfast cereal.

I decided to feed her porridge, but she couldn't stand the texture - don't really blame her. Then I thought, Weetbix might be a good option until a friend of mine said it's not good for their kidneys.

Are there other mums there that feed their toddlers weetbix or is this a serious problem..?

DD is now 9 months old and loves her hot weeties for breakfast.. Help..?
Sponsored Links

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 3:24pm
sorry no help to you. We give our son wheetbix and i hadnt heard there was anything wrong with it. Im eager to hear what people say. You could also ring plunket surely they would know
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 3:35pm
J has had weetbix for breakfast since he was about 9mths old , he loves it our plunket nurse never told me anything about it not being good for them ,she only said to let it stand for at least 5min so it soaks up all the milk then add a bit more.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 6:57pm
Hi Donna! Me and anakk both feed our 9 month olds Weetbix for breakfast (or, well, they feed it to themselves!). The reason you would be concerned about their kidneys is to do with sodium content (salt).

I'm paranoid about kidney things as our boy only has one functioning kidney, and I keep track of the sodium thing. Babies under 12 months should have less than 1g of salt (0.4g of sodium) per day (they can have 2g salt/0.8g sodium per day until 3 yrs, and then more yet after that) so you need to check the quantities in bread etc too (some bread can be quite high sodium).

There's 42 mg (0.042g) of sodium in a single weetbix biscuit so their daily allowance of salt would be met in about 9 biscuits. I doubt Dakota is having that much (if she's that hungry you've got bigger problems!)

The short answer really is, it depends on what else she's having, and when you're cooking for her, make sure you don't add any salt

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 11:22pm
It's actually more about the fibre content (the latest advice anyway). Weetbix is quite high in fibre, so with a normal balanced diet, some children are getting too much fibre from having weetbix all the time. I'm weary as I was a weetbix kid (as in ate it 3 meals a day as a kid because I refused anything else!) and have IBS - no proven link as there hasn't been enough research but the advice is 'within moderation'. Ie. if you can mix it up with toast, muesli, other cereals, then it's all good. Or 1 weetbix with a piece of toast and fruit is better than 2-3 weetbix IYKWIM.

You'll be able to know if bubs is getting too much fibre though by the product coming out the other end
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 9:23am
Yeah, good point emz, I should have added that part. But yeah, it's pretty obvious from their nappies if they're getting too much fibre! (Plus that's more about the bowel than the kidneys)

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 12:31pm
yeah its fibre not kidney...   i think at 9 mths it is ok but younger babies shouldnt eat weetibx too often .. a good cereal i found my kids loved was rice bubbles with yoghurt...the yoghurt made it stick to the spoon so they could feed themselves.

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 1:04pm
Cornflakes and Rice Bubbles here in milk and i leave him to his own devices. Or i just give them to him on their own and he picks them up with his fingers.
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 3:26pm
If it's a texture thing with porridge, have you tried milk oats, which are ground a little finer and have a creamier consistency. Fay and I love them, other than that she is a weetabix kid
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 12:08pm
I was worried so called the Sanitarium Nutritionists when Jake was about 11 months to check - they said any time from 10 months is OK, but they don't recommend them having weetbix earlier, due to the fibre content (I had heard sodium too, but apparently its the fibre thats the prob). I made sure it wasn't every day til he was over 12 months, just to be safe, as he ate ALOT of fruit etc so got lots of fibre. (and gave him no grainy toast until alot older).

Hope that helps.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
DonnaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:48pm
Thanks for your advice everyone.. Good to hear from other mums with hands on experience and not a text book.

I actually did a little research myself and found there is more sodium in white sandwich bread than there is in Weetbix..!! Crazy huh.

What's coming out is normal - so don't think I have to worry about too much fibre, only has 1 biscuit per day. Good idea about mixing up with fruit. And LOVE the ricies and yoghurt idea - that would be too funny to watch.

Cheers
Mum of One
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 12:32pm
Wow I had no idea I've given the girls weetbix every morning from 6 months old!

My girls have always had problems with constipation and my doctor advised me to give them only whole grain bread and they were 7 months old at the time.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 1:02pm
Teehee DonnaB, I guess I just had myself a sodium sandwich then - white bread with marmite

I haven't given lil miss Weetbix yet, but that's mostly coz I am too lazy to express milk for it. She has tinned fruit mixed with Farex.

The gremlins had weetbix from about 9-10 mths I think, they had it mixed with formula to start with then cows milk.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply