FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBroadband (Telecom v Telstra)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broadband (Telecom v Telstra)
    Posted: 21 October 2009 at 9:35am
Hi,

We're moving in a couple of weeks and currently have Telecom Broadband and Sky. I've been getting really frustrated with the speeds of Telecom lately, trying to watch clips on You Tube I'm contanstly getting the delay for a few seconds while it thinks about loading a little more. We're on the 10GB Telecom plan.

Is Telstra broadband faster?

Also, I want to have a wireless router (I already have a free Telecom one that I got sent for work which we don't need) but it doesn't seem like Telstra can do this. Am I wrong.

As you can see, I'm a little clueless so would love to hear from people who have Telstra and what they think. I'm in the Wellington region if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

queenbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 9:55am
We've had both before and I honestly think Telecom was faster than Telstra. We were in the Waikato region though.

Currently with Vodafone and they are pretty good so far.

ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 10:02am
Been with both aswell

Telecom for me
http://lb2f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/RPaODBg.jpg
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 10:07am
been with both, currently telstra which I find better - you can have a wireless router just have to hook it up yourself or they can get someone in to do it for an extra cost. DH just did himself.
Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 12:11pm
ive got telstra, with a wireless router to, I find it good and just set up the router myself (was easy). I find the speed is good as, but Im in tauranga not welly so dont know if that makes a dif
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 1:03pm
Will it be Cable Telstra that you will be getting? If so then it is faster than Telecom, and you can also set up a wireless modem but there are only certain ones that will work with Cable here is an example of one :
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ade4f6001be0ce82742c0a87f3b06c0/Product/View/XH9627
These do go on special for around $99 quite often aswell, and D-Link should have a number that you can call if you are having trouble setting up the router. There are other brands aswell of course I just know this is the one that we recommend to Cable Customers.

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 1:59pm
Thanks very much everyone. I already have the Telecom wireless router which they sent to my office but we don't require so I think I'll just stick with them and use that since the general consensus is that there isn't that much difference in speed.

Thanks again!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 3:10pm
Heaps of difference here! We have cable Telstra though - it's fantastic. I'd never go back to Telecom. Plus the pricing plans are a lot better IMO.
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 3:16pm
Thanks emz, I did think that Telstra was suposed to be much faster

Edited by summerlamb
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 5:17pm
For those not in the Cable area, keep an eye out for the ads this coming tuesday
grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 7:59pm
HI,

I work from hom eand have had to go with telecom when we moved as telstra could not supply the place we moved to and I was gutted. Way more issues and I move large chunks of data the speed is a lot slower and less reliable.

I foudn that with telstra I wcould watch tv etc through the internet which is impossible on telecom where I am (wellington) will just stop and load for ages.

Hans down woudl go with telstra if I had a choice.

Also their customer service is way way better
Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 9:07pm
I'm in wellington and have telstra. I find their 40gb plan is the best and fastest, 20gb was SLOW compared to the 40gb but it's cheaper than 40gb although going over only costs about $3 every gb. Never had telecom. Telstra is pretty good, we have wireless, haven't had any problems but occasionally you get outages when they are doing upgrades and things like that but they try to do it at 3am!

Also with the routers, I was told at Noel Leeming at DSL (I think thats the brand...) wireless router would work with Telstra broadband but got home to find it didnt! Not sure why but the guy from Geeks on Wheels told me it's not the best, in the end I got a Belkin Wireless N Router for about $200. Good if you want coverage in your backyard too!!

Hope that helps, sorry if it doesn't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 7:10am
A DSL Router wont work because its made for Telecoms ADSL internet, Telstraclear use fibre optic cable.
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 8:25am
Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'll go with Telstra because the Telecom speeds are doing my head in
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 2:00pm
we had nothing but hassles with telstra so am with telecom
ohh and funny thing telstra sent us a bill for 0.46c how pathetic is that, they said if its not paid withing a certain amount of time they would take us to bay-corp. stupid aye!
I emailed them and said it probably cost you more in postage then the actually bill amount. then I said if i was to pay it via the internet or post office it would cost more in bank fees etc then again the actual bill itself

they replied with a apology and said they will apply for a misc 0.46c credit :/

if you go with telstra then they give you a cable modem
and if you go with telecom they give you a adsl modem but if you want wireless then you will need to purchase your own

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Tastic Tastic wrote:

ohh and funny thing telstra sent us a bill for 0.46c how pathetic is that, they said if its not paid withing a certain amount of time they would take us to bay-corp. stupid aye!

Hmmm i find that odd, telstraclear dont take collection action for anything under $20, so the collection calls dont get done and the overdue letter doesnt get created.

Also, telstraclear right off acounts owing under $1 because its to much hassle, but the customr needs to advise TCl to do this as telstraclear dont watch each and every account

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 2:15pm
yeah I thought they would have a cut off, and the letter arrived at a stupid time - in the middle of packing up the moving truck GRRR
Havent heard anything back so it must of been sorted!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 2:48pm
Thanks for that Kandice didn't know that, I was rather pissed off after being told it worked with Telstra though and getting it home to find it didn't, calling a guy in to see why etc and then having to buy a new one! Luckily after complaining Noel Leeming refunded it!
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 3:57pm
Well I was with telstra for years and changed back to telecom recently, to be honest Telstra charge like a wounded bull! We had to move heaps a year ago due to no fault of our own and everytime they charged $100 just to move our broadband, We are moving next week and telecom are only charging to move our phone line , I think telecom is better
Twinkle1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinkle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 6:46pm
It must really depend on where you are aye. We're with Telstra broadband, 5GB plan, with a Belkin router (on special at Harvey Norman!). It's excellent, almost 0 delays.

Plus they gave us a courtesy call when we had gone three blocks over our old plan (several months running) and we upgraded at no extra cost mid month.

I've had bad Customer Service from Telecom before both through home phone bills and with them as a customer through my work place. But in saying that I've had trouble with Telstra too but with an excellent result which made it not so much of a hassle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>