FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddoes anyone do meal planning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kat_hutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat_hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does anyone do meal planning?
    Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:34am
if so, how do you start? what are some of your family friendly fav's that are always on it? do you do it weekly/fortnightly/monthly???? would like to start and have it established before our second bub comes along to bring costs down. thanks

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:43am
We did it for like a month using a weekly plan but I got bored and didn't end up sticking to it lol..

But our standard favs are:
- pasta bake
- home made fish n chips
- risotto
- mac n cheese with vege and meat on the side

Those are the ones we have every week. I change up the others.
kat_hutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat_hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:59am
thanks stace. thats given me a few different meals i didn't think of.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:02am
Our meals have to be daniel friendly as well as vego friendly lol. Hard task sometimes
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:10am
I do ours weekly as that's how often we shop at the supermarket, and mostly its determined around what's on special at the supermarket.
Standards are mince and chicken, and sometimes sausages.
I make a lot of homemade burgers, spag bol or mexican, chicken stir fry. I also like to include at least one vegetarian meal each week - I love veges Dh prefers meat.
We usually have a home made pizza on a Friday to use up any left over lunch stuff - ham, mushroom, capsicum etc.
We have pancakes every Sunday for Brunch, after 6 days of cereal and milk its nice to have a leisurely start to the day.
I have a white board on the fridge with the days of the week marked on it, sometimes all I write is the meat we are going to have that day so I know to get it out of the freezer the night before.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kat_hutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat_hutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:13am
yea ours need to start being more liam friendly now too.

home made pizza's are a good idea. we do a vege meal once a week too. need more variety in that!!

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:09am
I've found mexican a great vege option, I make it with kidney beans and tomatoes leave out the mince.

For more vege inspiration grab yourself a copy of Alison Holst's Meals without Meat Cookbook its got some awesome and easy vege ideas.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:27am
I don't know any toddler that likes mexican. Daniel isn't fussy and he hates it lol

Ummm last night we had frittata and on the side of that we had salad and chicken. Its yum and easy.

We do homemade pizzas, Daniel for some reason won't touch it so Dh and I share half a pizza, Daniel gets a slice to look at in disgust and then cook some wedges and shove in some chicken nugets to cook at the same time for Daniel to eat or some galic bread.

Potato salad, stir fried or mixed vege and some random meat (whatever is in the freezer) makes another regular at our house.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:28am
With Daniel he has a portion of everything we are eating but when I know there is something in the meal I know hes iffy about or hasn't had before I'll also boil some peas, carrots and corn for him as an extra cause thats always going to get eaten and its not exactly expensive.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:30am
Kebakat - my DS is a really fussy eater but loves mexican and indian.....I worked out my child friendly meals were not tasty enough for him!

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:33am
Oh wow! Me and my cousins were all talking about our kids eating habits and between the 6 little ones not one will touch mexican!
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:41am
We plan out our meals as well. Mostly because we provide DP's daughter with a weekly menu (part of battery of interventions for taming the fussy eater).

Stuff we like:Hungarian Paprika Chicken (I suggest you add bacon), Mexican, Stirfry, lasagna, steak, homemade hamburgers. I make roast chicken last two nights by adding cut-up bits of leftover meat with about 1/2 a cup or so of plain yoghurt and some dijion mustard for taste. Plop them down in the middle of half a flaky pastry sheet, make a bundle and cook in a muffin tin. Voila, you got yourself individual pie!

With regards to mexican, it can be toddler friendly. Cook with less spice and then cut up the tortillas into smaller slices with some meat and cheese inside.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 1:26pm
I do meal planning monthly. I go to the butcher and buy enough meat for 4wks or sometimes I decide to buy a little bit from the supermarket, mainly chiken portions and fish. I then work out what meals I can make with the meat and then write my supermarket shopping list from that. Since having Ben I make alot of meals up in bulk at the beginning of the month and then freeze them. I don't plan what we will have each night in advance but have a list that I can look at each day and select from it.

Favourites are:
Lasagne
Shepards Pie
Beef Stroganoff (in crockpot with Maggi sachet)
Mince cooked in tomato based sauce
Lindsey

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 2:49pm
I got a sample menu plan off the destitute gourmet website, which I saved, and print off every week and stick it on the fridge.

I also have a grocery list that a friend made for herself and gave to me that is every item in the supermarket that she(and I) get in the order it is in the supermarket. Man it changed my life, lol. I now go round the supermarket really fast cos I don't need to double back) and I never forget anything and don't buy what I don't need. I always used a list in the past, but this list really "revoloutionised" thigns for me, lol. I put hti sunder the menu plan and just highlight what I need during hte week (before the shop) and in the blank space at the end of the page I write what meals we are having (before I shop) so I know what to buy and which shop from (combo of 2 supermarkets and butchers)

I have a "staple" of about 12 to 15 meals that I rotate and have now added in BBQ and we often have a takeaway once a week, so that goes in, too. Whats good about this is everyone knows what we are having, and I know that I don't have to have "this" on "that" day, but it sure takes the what will I have for dinner thing away. I also don't need to stick totlly to the menu plan, but can make other thigns with the ingredients. Its really good.

Ive got a fussy hubby so that makes things challenging at times and if in doubt, i do casserole. I often make extras of pasta bakes and casseroles so I can give thise to my mum as she is poor so I make enough of those things for her too, although if I didn't need to, i would freeze them.

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 2:55pm
Same faves of ours are.

Gourmet chicken burgers and wedges (made with tegel takeouts chicken tenders, brie, sweet chilli sauce and asst salad fixings.Yum, fast, cheap and easy as.

You can do the same thing in a wrap and can make it mexican by using salsa instead of sweet chilli and plain grated cheese instead of brie.

Nachoes

Burritos

Casseroles (chicken or beef)

RoganJosh

Roast

Pork slices, stir fry veg and Rice

Steak chips mushrooms

Mince and pasta of some kind (bolognese, bake, lasagne)

BBQ anything

Chops

Sausage xcasserole (ick) bake, sos, oinions and mushcroom sauce or gool old meatloaf.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 2:56pm
oh and pork and pineapple patties (yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm)
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 3:17pm
I do a fortnightly meal plan.

This fortnight its
thurs -steak fried rice (last night)
fri - lentil burgers and wedges (double wedges for tomorrow night)
sat - chilli beans on wedges w salad (double salad for tomorrow dont add dressing)
sun - quiche (using up leftovers) w salad and garlic bread (double for tomorrow)
mon - tuna patties w potato salad (extra potato for tomorrow night) and garlic bread
tues - meatloaf w mashed spud, brocolli and cauli in cheese sauce (I use half a pack of mince)
wed - stroganoff meatballs on fettucine w salad and garlic bread (other half of mince pack)
thurs - pumpkin curry w naan
fri - pizza w wedges
sat - red wine stew w dumplings (leave some meat aside)
sun - stew and cheese pie (frozen pastry plus leftover stew plus grated cheese ;)) w garlic bread (double for tomorrow night)
mon - steak chow mein w udon noodles (using steak from stewing pack)
tues - roasted vege fettucine w garlic bread (extra vege for tomorrow night)
wed - quiche w salad and garlic bread

I'll have the odd chicken dish, fresh fish, etc whenever we can add that stuff to the shopping list. I like tasty and easy and healthy but I have heaps of recipes we love so nothing on the list other than pizza, pie and quiche thats super-regular. Jake eats or goes without. I always make enough for lunches the next day too which saves us $$.

Best place to start is probably check out your cupboards and see what you have, write down some recipes you want during the week/fortnight you're planning for and go from there. Try to tie your meals in together so you can prep one night for dinner the next KWIM? This meal plan hasn't done this a huge amount coz I'm trying a couple of new recipes but check out Linky 1 and Linky 2 if you want more of an idea.

I make our naan, tortillas, pizza bases, garlic bread which helps the budget so we're able to live on $60 - $70 a fortnight.

HTH
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 4:58pm
we used to meal plan but found it cost too much , but now I have two lists - one is every fortnight - every fortnight we MUST buy - rolled oats, toilet paper etc. the other list is everything we have in our cupboard (turns out we need a summer and winter version of this). I highlight things we have run out of. Then i go through the brochures and add to the list - baking and meals, depending on what is on special.

I spend $150 a week for two adults and two hungry kids - we don't have takeaways, and we have yummy lunches. I refuse to buy anything i can make myself tho.

my kids LOVE tacos btw
Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 7:42pm
I menu plan for us fortnightly, we mainly did it so I could try and keep food costs down and we are super busy so come 5 o'clock we didnt need to think about what we are having.

By doing it Our grocerys are $300.00 fortnight for 2 adults and 6 kids, that include disposible nappies for 2 and formula

our favs are

roasts

cottage pie

spag bol

stuffed chicken breast

homemade burgers and pizza
princesspumpkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesspumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:49pm
We started menu planning about 2 months ago, and it has made a HUGE difference to the grocery bill .

I usually sit down once a fortnight & rummage through my cuisine & dish mags, and a cookbook or two, and choose stuff from there - not only am I buying food that we're actually going to eat, but I've ended up cooking all sorts of yummy things that I wouldn't have without sitting down in advance & thinking about it!   

Some weeks our grocery bill has been $45 - it's gone up since DS has stopped bfing, but still heaps lower than before.

ETA: the Moosewood cookbook is wonderful for vegetarian recipes too, we usually eat vege at least one day a week

Edited by serendipity
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>