FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCheese rolls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheese rolls
    Posted: 08 March 2010 at 3:56pm
Ok so I KNOW this is a Southland thing, but SURELY by now you more-northern-than-me people must have discovered these?

It's coming up to winter, so you HAVE to know how to make cheese rolls! Cheese rolls dipped in tomato soup is like the BEST lunch ever on a cold winters day!! They freeze really well, and cook up quickly for a warm lunch, morning tea, afternoon tea or whatever! I know so many kids who love them too!

So, anyone got any recipes? I know a few people make them with a packet of maggi onion soup, some with cream cheese, anyone know a really amazing easy recipe?
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:01pm
Ok best recipe I've found is:

Grated cheese (I think most use tasty? Although any type would be fine I'd imagine)
Packet of Maggi onion soup.
Warm water
Sandwich Bread.

-Mix the grated cheese and onion soup, add enough water to JUST bind the cheese and soup mix together, you don't want it too runny! (if it goes too runny, add more grated cheese).
-Spread mixture over sandwich bread and then roll up.

Cook on fangrill until golden brown and then turn over until both sides are golden brown (careful to watch them as if they are thawed they don't take long!)

Freeze these un-cooked, can cook from frozen or thawed. Can put butter on them and eat them straight or dunk in tomato soup.
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:21pm
Ingredients
1 tin reduced cream
1 packet onion dip
300g cheese, grated
1/2 tsp mustard powder
A little minced onion (1 small onion, or to taste)
White pepper
White bread, thin sliced
Soft butter

Method
- Make dip, add cheese.
- Add mustard, onion and a tsp white pepper.
- Combine.

Assembly
- Butter bread and spread 2/3 of the unbuttered side with cheese mix.
- Roll up (from the cheese side to the un-cheesed side.)
- You choose, square or diagonal roll!
- (Note: Too much filling and it oozes out all over the place in the oven, too little and you've got a dried up bit of bread.)
- I reckon it's about 1 heaped dessertspoon per piece of bread, but it's a matter of opinion rather than exact fact.
- Assemble ahead of time and keep covered with a damp tea towel.
- Bake in a 180 oven for 12-15 mines until golden brown.
Beware burnt mouth hazard!!!!

Just made these and some of the best ive had!!!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:23pm
eeeewwww!!!!!      sounds like something i wouldnt want to put in my soup... (but then again i dont like dunking much in my soup!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:20pm
Don't knock it till you've tried it Bizzy!!!!

If you don't wanna dunk them, have them covered in butter.

Mmmmm cheesy goodness!!!!

You use reduced cream?! I might have to try this recipe!!
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:41pm
They sound yum! My Mum used to make something like that when we were kids and we loved them ;-)
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:54pm
Bloody southerners :P I have no idea what a cheese roll is, but i may have to try making them i thinks.
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:40pm
Wow this takes me back to my student days! Agreed, seriously yummo!! I make the ones with reduced cream too, really REALLY recommend giving them a go
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:46pm
Never heard of them before but might have to try them!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:28am
They are definately worth a try! Such a winter thing and GREAT to have in the freezer. I haven't met a kid yet who doesn't like them!!

Can also make variations with cut up ham, corn, split peas, shredded chicken, pretty much anything you can mix up into it will go! As long as it freezes, your sweet!

Think I'll make a loaf today, we have a loaf going stale! Easy way to stock up the freezer!
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:33am
Yea I think my Mum used to add tuna and peas ;-)
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:43pm

Cheese rolls are amazing! I can't believe people haven't heard of them. Seems to be only the southland girls who have. I've never made my own, should try both recipes though

Haven't seen a fundraiser lately to get any through.

TA, how much does that recipe make? I don't often have white bread in the house.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:53pm
How timely! At our Toy Library meeting last night we were discussing these. I had no idea what they were. I am not a southern girl.

Crazy! I couldnt imagine the appeal...but obviously there is one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 3:16pm
You can use wholegrain or "birdseed" bread! It really doesn't matter!!

Nzpiper, you have to try them, at least once! Its like a crime to have never had them before, you don't know what your missing out on!!!
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:31pm
My recipe is 450g grated cheese, 1 tin evaporated milk and 1 pkt onion soup mix. Just melt it all together, spread on bread and roll up. We usually cut 2 of the 4 crusts off to make rolling easier. Enough to make up 2-3 loaves of sandwich sliced bread. The fresher the bread the better as well or it can split when you try to roll it up.
I grew up with cheese rolls, never knew they were a Southland thing until I met dh and he'd never heard of them..he was soon converted though! I remember as a kid every time I went to town with my grandma we would meet up with her sister and have cheese rolls at a coffee shop. They always came out smeared in butter. Have never dipped them in soup though, nor do I want to. Also just remembered Grandma used to have them in the freezer and I was allowed them for brekky when I stayed there.
Am so going to make some of these now, haven't had them in ages. I'm thinking they would cook well in the sandwich press.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 10:39am
Recipe made about 21 i think a mate and i made 2 lots to spilt and freeze and im pretty sure the first batch was 21 depends on how much you spread on each tho i think we were pretty generous haha. We made Tomato Basil soup to go with it in a big double batch as i had a tomato overload from my tunnel house.

Im pretty sure it was a Richard Till recipe for the cheese rolls (thats the Countdown/Woolworths guy aye?) Tomato Basil recipe came from some Herbs and spices website.

My mate and i have decided to have a big cook up weekly to stock our freezers for winter so need to get out and buy more containers i think we are going for pumpkin soup next week.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:12pm
Yummo! Gotta make these for my mum. She's a southern girl but I'm a born and bred Aucklander and sadly I've only had them once (and mum didn't make them)

mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 7:42pm
Nikki - How could you not know what cheese rolls are??? have you not looked in half the cafes in cromwell! Gee i dont know!

We use the maggi soup recipie mmm yum which reminds me i really sould get some made for the freezer...
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:26am
YUM, haven't thought of these since my Timaru days.

Can I just say, as well, that I LOVE the quote in your siggy Hunnybunny. I'm going to put it on the fridge... for the times I need reminding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:49am
Our freezer now has cheese rolls in it-YUM!!

Thanks Bec- I think its awesome! Got it off Bobsta, one of the TTC ladies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>