FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedParacetamol Overdoses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paracetamol Overdoses
    Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:35am
Overdose toddlers need liver transplants

Panadol is one of the most common substances for poisoning in under 5's, and can do some MAJOR damage to livers! Having seen the chemical results of a panadol overdose (suicide attempt) I am so acutely aware of the danger this drug can pose if not used correctly. Just follow the instructions, and keep out of reach!
Sponsored Links

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:18am
Yup, as a 4 year-old (well before the days of safety caps on bottles ) I drank an entire bottle of paracetamol - apparently I liked the taste - and needed to be rushed to the hospital and have my stomach pumped (I was unconscious by then, but fortunately no lasting effects!).

We make sure that all medicines are well out of reach of prying toddler fingers...
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:59am
BIL did this recently with Pamol and he's 11 and diabetic, had to go to hospital because he got very sick!
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:36pm
Its not exactly rocket science to keep medicines out of reach of children / locked away. I cant believe that this actually happens so often.
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 5:59pm
My best friend , who already has arthritis and a very crappy immune system , contracted a blood infection 3 years ago, the nurses at the hospital weren't checking her chart properly and overdosed her on paracetamol and she came very very close to losing her liver

Post Reply Post Reply