FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNo land line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No land line
    Posted: 18 September 2010 at 12:59pm
Vodafone are currently offering naked broadband for $65 a month.
We're currently paying $120 for broadband and our phone line.

However we hardly ever use our home phone number, we both have cell phones we usually text or email our friends.
The only people that ring our land line is our parents.

Do we need a land line?
Has anyone gone without one? How have you found it?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 1:20pm
We were thinking about getting rid of ours.

DH has an iphone on plan & I have prepaid but don't use it much. We want to use skype so need a skype phone on the computer.

I have 1 friend that rings that is not on computer or skype. I really don't use it much.

We pay $150+ mth to telecom.

DH rang from work before & I asked him why we decided not to get rid of the ph & he said we hadn't so we will chat about it later & I will post his views...he is a techo
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 4:58pm
The only disadvantage is in an emergency, if the cell phones are out then you cant call anyone. It would be okay if you had good neighbours tho. You can easily get freedom for $10 per month between your cellphone and a land line (telecom users), that would mean your parents could still call you as much as they wanted.

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 6:53pm
We have naked Broadband and LOVE it! So pleased we got rid of our land line. It was $30 a month that was a total waste of money. We only had it for the internet.

To keep in touch with family, we use Skype and for
other calls I use my mobile, ring from work, or Skype cos thats cheap as chips too. I highly recommend it
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
ButterflyMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterflyMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 9:42pm
we want o get rid of our's but we with telecom and as far as I know you have to have a landline with broadband plese correct me if I am wrong would love to get rid of ours and save money.

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 10:13pm
When we move we will be going naked broadband.

I'm on contract and have DP as bestmate no one really called our landline DP is the person I speak to most only thing is when i don't pay my phonebill and it gets blocked but will just have to make sure I do pay it. If I can't call then I can always txt mum. Or put DD in the car if its an emergency then you can still call 111 thats all that matters? I must look at skype too

Oh and I went years and years without a landline or internet never bothered me. When we did have the landline it was only convenient for calling between work and home really

Edited by HoneybunsMa

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 10:26pm
We will probably get rid of our land-line when our 12 mths with telecom are up. $199 if we break our contract so won't be stopping before then.

We do use our landline frequently though but half of it's use is to make mobile phone calls so thought since DF's cell is a work one, I will get myself on a decent contract before we do away with the landline - we probably won't end up saving money because of it though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:55am
DH and I are both on vodafone for our cellphones, I have him as my best mate and don't pay for any calls to him.

Our land line is currently with vodafone, all we would be doing is losing our home phone which we hardly ever use anyways.

We're moving in a few weeks and will be losing our home phone number. Maybe a chance to go without it and see how we go.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 10:33am
We never had a land line when we lived overseas and it wasn't a problem. We actually get quite a few calls on ours so I wouldn't cancel it but if you hardly ever use it it could be a good $ saving for you.
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 11:27am
We don't have a landline, we have our cell phones with vodafone and I do bestmate to DH. If we really need to call someone we use the phone at DH's work.

But our broadband is $80pm and it only works some of the time!! I either have to find a cheaper provider or get rid of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 1:15pm

We're currently paying $120 for 30G broadband and home phone line with vodafone. Going without a home phone line would bring our bill down to $65.

$55 would be a big savings over 12 months. I don't make $55 worth of phone calls on my cellphone each month.

We've had no more problems with vodafone broadband than we did with Telecom.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 6:26pm
wow caliandjack if you arent on a contract with vodafone at the moment I would call and question them as we only pay $100 for exactly the same thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 6:44pm
Really? I'll get DH to look into it then.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 6:55pm
We are not in the Red Zone so Vodafone is not an option for us.

We are with Telecom & have 40GB & we pay $150 approx per month...that includes a few other things. We would not really save much by just dropping the ph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 10:52am
we are on the ultimate pack http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 10:54am
I dont think you need to be in the red zone jazzy it just costs another $5 or $10 a month to be with vodafone I think as they are using other peoples equipment.
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 11:27am
Yeah that's the info I have amme.

If your in the redzone (which we are) you pay $90? I think for the ultimate pack which is what we are on homephone and broadband included but if you are out of the redzone then you pay an extra $10. Most of Auckland is, its not until you get into the broader Auckland, so out into the waitaks, puke, papakura etc that the redzone stops.

If you have extras such as voicemail caller id etc then that gets added on of course.

We'll still be dropping the landline when we move. No point in us having it never gets used. And we don't use more then 5gb a month so 10gb for us will be HEAPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 11:40am

I think we'll be going without to honeybun, for the $45 a month we save, there's no way I make that amount of phone calls from my cell phone.
We don't use our home line for making phone calls, and meh parents can pay if they want to ring us.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:35pm
I thought you had to be in the red zone, doh lol...we are central AK so would of thought we would be but...no.

We have just been upgraded to wireless Broadband & have entered into a 2yr contract with Telecom. DH is really happy about that as he relies on the BB & quick speeds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:45pm

We won't be either bummer. Slingshot have a similar offering will check them out.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>