FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit / Vege gardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:19pm
oooooh yey I'm pleased to see this new thread too!

I'm growing a few veges from seed - the peas, lettuces, carrots and radishes have sprouted, but I'm still waiting for the tomatoes and cucumbers to germinate - could it be a it cold for these in Welly?

I've also got good crops of parsley, chives, rosemary and thyme.

Strawberries are in a big tub, but I'm just getting tiny wee ones atm - they seem to have a pest or two - the aphids seem to be less since I sprayed them with an oil, dishwashing liquid and water conconction that I found the recipe for on a website. Now there is a white frothy spit like bug thing on them too - any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated!

I've found this website quite useful for knowing what to plant when: http://www.gardengrow.co.nz/zones/New%2BZealand%2B-%2Btemperate

ETA - whoever mentioned growing in the shade - I didn't have much luck trying this in our last house, but just had a small vege patch that only got morning sun - still got a few edible strawberries, rocket, spuds. I'm also keen to know what might grow in shade - I've got a big shady patch behind the garage that would be good to fill up with things that take up lots of room...

Edited by DJ
Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:36pm

Yay for having a gardening section!  Thanks OhBaby!

We might have to start breaking up our topics a bit.  I'm struggling to keep track in one big thread.  Whoever mentioned the egg cartons - great idea!  I'm thinking I'm going to have to ask friends and family to donate theirs if they don't need them.  I haven't had huge amounts of luck growing from seed but am quite keen to perfect it now.

And shade...I'm not sure what veges grow well in shade.  I'm pretty lucky and get decent sun where I am at the moment.

DJ - I think that might be the website I found too.  It looks pretty good.  I keep meaning to print out a wee table of when to plant but so far have been too lazy.

KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:15pm
Between DF and his father, we grow things like onions, spring onions, radishes, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, apple cucumbers, sweet corn, gherkins, broccoli, cauliflower, japinese turnips, leeks, beetroot and parsley.

Looking at also doing a few herbs like basil, thyme, mint, chives and rosemary. Still on the mission to find japinese turnip seeds this season, have become a bit hard to find.

DF's father has a poly tunnel which helps to get all the seeds established.
Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:28pm
Note to self: Do not come back to visit this thread.

I spent way to much money today at the garden centre and way too much time weeding and planting!

Vege garden is done - now just have to find time to plant some pretty flowers for my daughter to pick :)

Thanks for the inspiration!!

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:49pm
That website is great. Just enter your email addy and they email what to plant that month.
DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by DJ DJ wrote:

Now there is a white frothy spit like bug thing on them too - any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated!

Pyrethrum spray keeps them away I think but I don't know about getting rid of them to start with

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:21pm

My tomotoes I grew from seed are doing very well. I had a few people come around to my place and take a few extras I had left over. The ones I have are growing in the garden now!!

I still have the last of my winer crops about to be ready to pick and then I can turn that all over and start again with some summer veges.

I am waiting on dirt to arrive at my place and we are going to be putting more potatoes in the ground and the next thing I am doing is sprouting kumra to have a go at growing that.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:55pm

Becks, do you just use kumara that you would otherwise eat?  And if so, what do you do with it?  I'd be keen to have a go at kumara as well.  We are starting to eat more and more of it.

Kelz that makes me laugh given that I just went and spent a wee bit more on seeds than I had anticipated!  I just keep thinking that hopefully they will more than pay for themselves with produce.  I'm really keen to reduce spending on fruit and veges until the point at which we are self sustaining from that perspective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:03pm
Mmm kumura, I love kumura. I might have to give that a go too...do you need much space for things like potatoes & kumura do you think?
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 1:31pm

I have had no luck growing capsicum from seed but I got 4 plants from bunnings last year and they were amazing. I was still getting capsicums in May . I have saved some of the seeds from them and am giving them a go, but not expecting much. Will definitely get more from there this year as well paid for themselves. I also roasted some and put in jars along with garlic. Have had great success with garlic the last 2 years. Bought seedlings this year as was not organised enough to get my own in the garden. Also had great results with shallots last year. Had loads of tomatos too, even though was a supposedly bad year for toms. Have frozen lots and also made roast vege pasta sauce. Love getting the results from my garden, not quite as keen on doing all the work that goes with it .

I get a weekly email from NZ Gardener that has q&A, what to plant, 5 top tasks for the weekend, lots of competitions etc. I find this useful (especially when I win stuff ). You can sign up to it from the website.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:27pm

I thought I had replied to you girls - sorry not sure what happened.

Yep I am using a kumera that I would of eaten, it is currently growing sproats so I can plant them out.

I also get the emails on a Friday (now getting 3 of them) that has lots of info in it.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Rovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 6:26pm

In terms of good books, Dennis Greville has a couple of good ones that go through heaps of different vege/herbs as well as diseases and fungus that can kill plants and gives you suggestions (both chemical and organic) ways to deal with them. I still refer back to these regularly. They are the ones that I used when starting to garden and found them so easy to follow. Also gives ideas on how to structure garden, crop rotation and companion planting. They weren't too expensive either.

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 1:30am
Last year the flatmate and I were growing tomatoes, lettuce, capsicum (flatmate had great success with growing them from seeds then let them all die!! ), brocolli, cauliflower, spring onions, celery, corn, potatoes, butter beans, carrots, strawberries and some herbs.
The tomatoes were going great until the water restrictions kicked in and we couldn't water them enough. The fruit were splitting something horrible Our flatmate and I were having a competition on who had the best tomatoes and I won lol.
The brocolli were a flop, they would flower really fast and never got a "head" on them. Carrots never really grew to any decent size though they tasted SOOOO yummy and sweet, fresh from the ground.
The celery refused to grow (though I think that's because I accidentally dehydrated the seedlings to the point they almost died before I managed to get them in the ground)
The slugs and snails got all the lettuce lol.

This year I have some fancy lettuce and strawberries in a planter since we dont have a "garden" that I can plant things in. I'm looking at growing things in pots though, but I may be a little too slow in getting started. Might just have to dig over (read: get DF to dig over ) the vege garden at mums and plant some stuff there.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 11:33am
Becks do you chop up the kumara so that there are individual sprouts on each piece and then just chuck them in the garden? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:10pm

Nope at the moment it is sitting on the window sill in the porch growing sprouts and once it has them I am going to read up again and work out what to do. I think you take the sprouts off and plant them but I am going to bucket grow them first time growing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:51pm
I spent about 2 1/2 hours weeding the vege garden yesterday! That's how bad it had gotten, crazy. And from the stuff we planted earlier in the year all that was left was some spring onions and some awesome pea or bean plants - we think they are peas but can't really remember They even have some pods on them

My legs and arms are sooo sore today though!

Also went to Mitre 10 Mega to get some pricing together so we can work out what we can afford to get at the moment.

What fertilisers, plant food etc do you ladies use/recommend?
frangipanigirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frangipanigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:00pm
oh i am so jealous of you all having your vege garden! we are currently renting and not sure how long we staying so i dont really want to go spending all the money if we then move! but last year i really enjoyed my fresh veges!!! will still watch this thread for when my time comes for vege growing!!!
1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:51pm
Have you thought about growing some veges in containers/pots/bags purple24? I think lettuces are supposed to grow quite easily in things like that...
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 9:25am
DH grew kumaras last year, i had a golden kumara that i had chopped half off to use and the rest i put back in the pantry (and then forgot about it!) the end of it started going off so i gave it to DH to throw out, but instead he put it in the garden lol and it grew sprouts, once they were pretty big he pulled them off and planted them, then put the original kumara back in the garden to sprout again (which it did) and did that another couple of times i think. they took ages to grow but were really yummy and sweet. you have to wait until the plants die down before you harvest them (like potatoes) and apparently they like quite a bit of fertiliser.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:02pm
I've been doing a bit of reading and it sounds like kumara take a really long time to grow and need a lot of space so though I love the idea I might stick with what I've got for this year.  If I end up staying in this house I will plan to grow them next year (along with a whole pile of other things).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>